PDA

View Full Version : headlights

jasonrebellion
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
when i bought my 87 lxi, the previous owner had a hot wire running for the lights into the dash with a toggle switch....I figured the problem was the switch so I bought a replacement and installed it tonight...still no headlights. Everything but the head lights work. If i rotate the switch all the way forward they pop up and all the other lights come on but no headlights. I can pull back on the switch and the brights will come on, but even though it clicks, they will not stay on. Any ideas?

fijisac
04-28-2009, 07:10 AM
did you check to see if the headlights where pluged in? i had the same problem and i found out that the plug for the light was disconnected, so i pluged it back in and BAM they worked.

jasonrebellion
04-28-2009, 07:44 AM
I've got two wires hooked into a toggle switch inside that i can turn them on with. when i pull back on the headlight switch on the column the brights will come on for as long as i hold it

Oldblueaccord
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Pulling back on the stick does make the high beams come on regardless lights on or off. its "flash to pass" feature is on most foriegn cars and many of the newer domestics. So that part is correct.

I'm guessing there is something wrong with the combonation switch on the column. It houses the blinker sticks and the wiper stick behind your steering wheel. The main power for the lows goes thru this and will burn over time. There does not apear to be a relay for it but there should be. I think its is a large white wire in the combo switch. This part might not be available anymore at the dealer but I think Rockauto had them listed.

wp

russiankid
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
The slider inside the switch may be dirty thus not allowing the lights to come on. The high beams sit on a separate switch inside.

jasonrebellion
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I've already replaced the switch, hoping it would fix it but the problem still remains.. This weekend I'll take another look at how they hot wired it and make sure that they didn't unhook anything