PDA

View Full Version : Transmission input shaft seal

Hazwan
04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
My Accord started leaking bunch of transmission fluid under the car, coming from bellhousing/block area. I'm 100% sure its transmission fluid, not engine oil and I'm positive its coming from input shaft seal.

My question is, how hard is it to do it myself? Do I need to rip open the gearbox or simply dropping it off from the engine and replace the seal just like that will do? By the scale of 1-10 how hard is it going to be?

79cord
04-30-2009, 04:09 AM
I don't think you'd need to disassemble the gearbox but like you say you'd definitely need to separate it from the engine & probably remove the driveshafts in order to move it about. Similar to replacing the clutch.

I replaced my Preludes g/box with its engine in place but ended up having to remove my Accords engine & gearbox when I needed to do its clutch due to other issues (broken alternator bracket bolt) so can't really comment upon how easy that would be.

2ndGenGuy
04-30-2009, 07:48 AM
I want to say that I don't think you can pull the input shaft seal from outside the transmission. But maybe I just never noticed it because it's behind the throwout bearing, and I usually replace that first thing.

Hazwan
04-30-2009, 06:23 PM
I dunno, I've googled and seems like the gearbox has to be torn apart.

I guess I should take it to a mechanic then. I hate them :(

Dr_Snooz
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Mechanics go home!!!! Don't do it dude. You got the skilz. Just do it!

Hazwan
04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Not with something with gears :D

I messed up a power drill gears before and I definitely don't want to screw this up!

AccordB20A
04-30-2009, 07:33 PM
^^^ lol damn how can u mess up a drill.
Anyways its okay they are pretty scary inside, i managed to swap a diff in mine tho ages ago. you just have to put everything back where it came from (most of the time stuff only fits one way anyway) Taking lots of photos helps a bit.

Make sure you move the box and take it to them, its going to cost heaps.

Civic Accord Honda
04-30-2009, 08:01 PM
im 99% sure you have to tear it down, and since its apart you mine as well replace the bearings and shit shouldent cost to much for a rebuild kit ^_^ i plan on rebuilding a SI trans for my civic, after reading many how tos it doesent seem as bad as it sounds