PDA

View Full Version : spark plug mistake

danny nr crew
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
ok i dont really know how to explain this clearly but here it goes to start off i have an 87 accord lxi and as i was putting the spark plug closest to distributor back on i accidentaly screwed it on in a different angle and now the threads on the head are mest up and wat kind of problems could that cause for my motor?

thegreatdane
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
ehhh, the pretty obvious problem would be that you would be unable to get your last sparkplug installed..

If the threads are so messed up that you are unable to bolt in the sparkplug at the correct angle, then before you mess anything up worse than it already is you should get yourself a tap with the same size as the threads on the spark plugs. Run that through the busted threads and MAKE SURE you keep it at the correct angle.
If this doesnt work and there's practically no threads left you may have to install a helicoil/thread repair bushing. Those work by drilling out the spark plug hole with a drill larger than the current threads and then tapping new threads into the spark plug hole in which you then screw in a bushing with an inside thread size matching your spark plugs.

Ideally to keep the aluminum from collecting inside the cylinder when you do these things you should first turn the crankshaft so that the exhaust valve on cylinder 4 is open and the piston is close to tdc and then remove your exhaust manifold and then attach a vacuum cleaner to your number 4 exhaust port and leave it running while you do any drilling or tapping. This way the vacuum cleaner will pick up most if not all the aluminum debris.

The easier but possibly slightly less effective way is to again put the piston at nearly tdc with the exhaust valve slightly open and then just drill a small bit a the time putting the vacuum cleaner to the spark plug hole in between every drilling operation.

russiankid
04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
^^ I don't think they're called heli coils. They are inserts, a heli coil won't hold that pressure. But you're right, if your threads are to far gone then just install the insert and be on your way.

danny nr crew
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
well the threads are not even gone its just that i put the spark plug in the wrong way and mest up the threads inside so do u guys think i should jus get the bit that puts in new thread and see if that works for me cause ive bein running it like that for about half a year now with the spark plug not all the way in as its supposed to and at a slight angle

russiankid
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
you can try to chase it. Heat up the car a bit and pull the plug. Then go through it with a chaser.

danny nr crew
04-29-2009, 05:58 PM
ok wats a chaser u lost me and wat if i heated up the motor took off the plug and try to put the plug back on the right way u think thatll work

russiankid
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
No that will not work. Only reason you are heating up the motor is to remove the plug easily without screwing up the threads to much. And a chaser is a tool that has notches cut into it that allows it to repair and clean the threads. All the gunk that comes from the damaged or dirty threads get pushed into those notches. You put some heavy grease or petroleum jelly onto the tool and slowly thread it into the hole.

It looks like this.

http://www.diseno-art.com/images_2/spark_plug_thread_chaser.jpg

You do not, however, screw it in all the way at once. You screw it in, feel resistance, go a bit more, pull it out and clean it off. Put more grease, and now go further. Repeat until you are all the way through all the threads on the head. Then you can clean it off, and start screwing it in and out all the way. Everytime you screw it out, clean it and put new grease on it. Grease is used to prevent any debris to fall into the cylinder which can cause potential damage.

SILENT
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
My carbed car had the same problem... i just simply bought this adapters for the spark plugs called save-a-thred!!! the screw on the plug and it actually taps it self!!! havent misfired yet!!! bought it @ my local auto parts place for like 2 bucks each!!! heres a link might be the wrong size...http://www.handsontools.com/HeliCoil-R5326-14S-Spark-Plug-Save-A-Thread-Short-Reach_p_9201.html but just to show you how it looks!!! dont remember the actual size of the apapter but i just told them is was a 13/16 spark plug!!!

danny nr crew
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
well guys i fixed the spark plug threads and now its all good and i did use the chaser but that wasent the name of it at oreilies but its alligned and tightend thanks for the help guys

conozo
05-01-2009, 05:24 AM
I had this same problem. I took it to a shop and they rethreaded it for $75. I took it there because they made sure that there wasnt any metal shavings left in the combustion chamber.

Mine would screw in most of the way and then was tight but eventually would work itself out and fall out. It was sure a funny sound when that thing fell out.

The two outside spark plugs screw in at an different angle from the two middle ones. Thats probably how the threads became screwed up.