PDA

View Full Version : I hate drum brakes. I'm so close.

canadian357
05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Does anyone have any tips on getting the green long upper return spring into place? Its being a huge pain in my ass. I'm sorry, i'm also a huge noob.

84Accord
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
i use some long pliers and force it into place. lol

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Got a pic? Im forgetting what it is.

Usually a long screw driver use the point as the pivot. hook the spring on one end of the brake then the other on the screw drivers shank and use it as a ramp so to speak and the spring will slide on it an "snap" into place.

Ill search here for a decent picture of what I mean.

wp

2ndGenGuy
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Put the springs on the shoes before you put the shoes on the backing plate. Basically, assemble the whole upper part first with the adjuster and spring in place, put them around the brake cylinder, then put the bottom spring on and then stretch the bottom spring by pulling the shoes apart and drop them into place. I just did a rear brake job on a 3gee a week ago, and there was no need for pliers except for pulling the retainer spring clips off and undoing the ebrake adjuster spring.

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
OK from your other post yeah the green goes across to each shoe. Like 2nd said you assemble them on the floor and when you put the shoes on together all at once you keep them folded to you. Use the anchor pin at the top and push the shoes to the backing plate evenly at the same time. You ll have to pin them down while holding them usually or it will snap back on you like a Conibear trap :chainsaw:

wp

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.cyclepedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ttr125_front_brake.jpg

this kinda shows what I mean.

wp

-DWM-
05-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Assemble all the springs/shoes before you put it on the backing plate. Else you'll fight that big return spring for an hour or so. Some cars you gotta install the leading shoe onto the backing plate first, but not ours. Drum brakes suck, but how often do you have to mess with them? Once every 2-3 years? Tops.