PDA

View Full Version : 2 subs to amp wiring question

GemBawb89DX
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
so i'm wanting to add put 2 type-r 12's in, and i was wandering what u guys thought about how to wire them to an amp. i found this picture:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/522/2d4.gif (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2d4.gif)

but that just seems weird...couldn't i get a 2 channel amp and wire a sub to each channel? and what would be a good amp to use with them? i'm lookin for a great bass punch. i researched and found that they're 500w RMS and dual 4 ohm voice coil each

ghettogeddy
05-02-2009, 12:06 PM
the 2nd pic is your best bet

it will almost make sure your equipment last for a long time

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5707_Audiobahn+A8005DN.html

should be plenty for ya

GemBawb89DX
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
sweet! i was hopin geddy would reply u seem like u know a lot about stereos fropm what i read :bow: lol. i've tried to read up on amps but some of it's still kinda out there for me lol. but u said the second one would be my best bet but that amps ur showin is a mone and the second option says bridging a 2 channel amp? idk if that really makes a difference

GemBawb89DX
05-02-2009, 12:49 PM
and is 200w x1 @ 4 ohms or 400w x1 @ 2 ohm enough to power 2 type-r's?

1987lxi
05-02-2009, 02:44 PM
if you want those woofers to sound clean with minimal distortion, then you need more than 200 watts rms into 4ohms. thats 100 watts per coil on just one woofer...you have 2. those woofers are rated at 1000 watts peak(500 watts per coil) and 500 watts rms(250 watts per coil). personally i would buy a 1000 watt amp like this one.... http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PDX-1.1000&lang=en&tab=F ....doesnt have to be that particular one, but if you could i would buy that amp. neways rms power on that amp is 1000 watts, that means 500 watts per speaker and then after that split its 250 watts per coil. i would not go any lower on wattage on those alpine subs at all. the less power you give them the dirtier the power is, and once you start givein those woofers dirty power youll blow them. dirty or under powered amps on high rated subs is what blows them.

this is my edit---> i do agree with geddy on option 2 on the diagram, option 2 would be the most efficient for 2 dvc subwoofers on a 2 channel or monoblock amp.

ghettogeddy
05-02-2009, 03:10 PM
ya but your also talk close to 600 more lol
he could go with 2 of the ones i suggested if one was not enough for half the price lol

1987lxi
05-02-2009, 03:24 PM
i realize. and i said that i didnt have to be that particular amp. the point i was tryin to get to homie is that i wouldnt go any lower than 1000 watts. and sonicelectronics and onlinecarstereo.com have amps like that for reletivly cheap. buuut you do get what you pay for, ive learned that lesson. if he were to get an underpowered amp or a pos amp, he will etha blow or serverly burn up the coils in those woofers...and if he is getting to alpine 12s......thats money down the drain. its up to him in the long run on wat he wants to do with his money and speakers. i gave him the opinion that i would give anyone else. let us know wat u get and how the setup goes, if u need help we'll help you homie.

ghettogeddy
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
btw the whole underpowering myth is false you cant blow a sub form underpowering them

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49756

i would tend to agree with a guy who has that many awards under his belt lol

1987lxi
05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
underpowering anything even a lite bulb will burn it up. 12 inch woofers loove power. and that lil audiobahn amp thing will not keep up with that, when u dont have enough energy to power sumthing you wil and are goin to mess sumthing up....it will happen. the singnal between the amp and subs will become dirty or noisey energy. there is such thing as underpowerin anything i dnt care wat it is u can do it and you will give the device dirty, and noisey power. ....just like a tv, if you dont have good clean power in your lines, your picture is going to look like crap. it is no myth only reality.

ghettogeddy
05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
underpowering anything even a lite bulb will burn it up. 12 inch woofers loove power. and that lil audiobahn amp thing will not keep up with that, when u dont have enough energy to power sumthing you wil and are goin to mess sumthing up....it will happen. the singnal between the amp and subs will become dirty or noisey energy. there is such thing as underpowerin anything i dnt care wat it is u can do it and you will give the device dirty, and noisey power. ....just like a tv, if you dont have good clean power in your lines, your picture is going to look like crap. it is no myth only reality.

well im just gona disagree

only time you are gona hurt a speaker with under powering it is if you try to jack the gain up and distort the shit out of it

as long as you know how to tune a amp you can run whatever to whatever lol

ive been doing this for a while myself and i have never blown a sub

and until i see proof thats its reality then its always gona be a myth to me

if you do a search for say under powering speakers
you will find a few tropics on this subject

Hash_man_Se_i
05-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I am in much agreement with 1987lxi.

ghettogeddy, often people will not blow a sub or speaker by underpowering it, however just like stated in the thread you linked to on the Polk site, driving an amp to clipping, or the source and sending that signal to a speaker, there is a very good chance of blowing it. I have seen it happen a few times, and it especially happens to people like our original poster... Someone buying 2 12" typer's wants a lot of output, and will have to crank the gain significantly on a smaller amp to get this.

To the OP, if you want to stick alpine, the PDX1.1000 is a good amp, but you can also go with something like the MRP-M1000 if you want to save some money. There are many other amp options out there though. It is not often you will find a mono amp that is truly stable at 1ohm, and will not burn up if run at this for long.

GemBawb89DX
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
i'll be the first to admit i like to crank up my stereo lol. so i can see how i wouldn't want to be pushing a smaller amp hard all the time. so since they're 500w rms and DVC that get 250w to each voice coil? didn't know that lol.

I'm just tryin to get away from walmart brand, i put the pioneer deck (DEH-50?) and pioneer speakers all around 6 yrs ago and it's treated me good but i'm ready to upgrade...brings up another point...my dx has the rear factory speaker locations, from what i've read dx aren't supposed to have them?

back to original point lol. it makes since besides ohms? i know it's the measurement of resistance. for example it's bad to put a lower say 2ohm sub to a 4 ohm amp cuz it'd blow the sub?? and vise versa cuz u'll fry the amp?? is that right

89T
05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
you're options with those speakers are 1,4 or 8 ohm mono or 2 or 8 ohm stereo.
with less resistance a typical amp produces more power at the cost of signal quality and it creates more heat in the amp.(keeping it simple) excessive heat will shorten the life of the amplifier.
On most amps you can run 2 ohm stereo with out any problems provided you have a sufficient power source and large enough power wire.

On most amps that are not mono block amps you run the risk of burning up both the sub and or amp running any sub below 4 ohm mono.

most digital mono block amps are stable down to 1 ohm or lower.

AccordB20A
05-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Interesting subject on underpowering subs. its true about the amp distorting into a sub isnt good for it i hear, but say powering a 800w rms sub from a 400w rms amp is not going to do anything to the sub if its running within the amps 400w rms (not distorting) If it did then im effectively fucking my sub by playing my system quietly lol

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 12:56 AM
and i agree fully on if its distorted lol but i know how to tune and i know what my max levels are before distortion and i always stay below
and to be honest why 2 12' type r's
what kind of music will you be listening to

89T
05-03-2009, 05:56 AM
You guys couldn't fathom how many systems i have built and tuned, to have the customer return with a blown sub and 99.99999% of the time it was blown because the gain on the pos amp the customer brought in was cranked all the way up.

I have even built a shit load of systems that were properly matched and tuned end up the same way. the Gain cranked up all the way and the voice coils welded them selves to the pole in the magnet.

So to agree with ghetto and accordB20a distortion kill's all.

To the O.P. get an amp that will match the out put of the speakers and don't get crazy on the gain. The gain is there to match the pre-amp output of the stereo and not an external volume control.

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
i wanted to go with 2 type r 12 cuz i've been lookin on here and everybody seems to have good results with them. i listen to things like tech n9ne kmk but also go for heavy stuff like mudvayne. the little lightening audio 10 i have now just isn't cutting it. if there is something that will work better for me i'm all ears, a haven't bought anything yet so my options are still open. a system that can handle lots of bass that will last is what i'm lookin for. i'm gonna turn the gain down on my little shit amp i got now lol.

edit: one of my friends in town told me that it was the white noise that blows crap

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
well to be honest i like 10"s more
there more music range friendly

12 are great for massive bass but they dont recoil fast enough for the heavy double bass of some of the better metal bands

i mean going from one 10 lighting to 2 12 type rs lol thats a jump and a half

i would go from the lighting to 1 of these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206810L54/Kicker-Solo-Baric-L5-Series-08S10L54.html?tp=111

a single solo will prolly perform the same as 2 type r's

as much as a like the type r's the solos just sound awsome

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 11:23 AM
i got a job that why i can finally go with the upgrade w00t lol. i looked at those kickers since they're 10's they'll bounce back good and since they're square they have more area then a normal 10 so it'll hit and hold the deep bass. once i pick a sub and amp combo think u guys can help me design a box that'll get the best bass outta them? i'm thinkin about ported i know they gotta be bigger then a sealed box but my trunk isn't my tool box anymore so yea lol

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
i got a job that why i can finally go with the upgrade w00t lol. i looked at those kickers since they're 10's they'll bounce back good and since they're square they have more area then a normal 10 so it'll hit and hold the deep bass. once i pick a sub and amp combo think u guys can help me design a box that'll get the best bass outta them? i'm thinkin about ported i know they gotta be bigger then a sealed box but my trunk isn't my tool box anymore so yea lol

i would go with a slot port
http://www.millionbuy.com/hbx101kp.html

not bad for 50 bucks

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
i like lol. would it mess up the tuning to cut another whole for a second sub? :D

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
yes yes it would
i would seriously say you wont need a 2nd lol

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 12:54 PM
what do u think of this hu?
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9886&lang=en&tab=F
it's like 50 bucks cheaper on crutchfield

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
your gona find it complicated lol

there great hu's but not very user friendly

i hate pioneer btw but its my preference i think there cheap pos's lol

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099CD5030/Eclipse-CD5030.html?tp=5684&tab=features_and_specs

that prolly isent any better for user friendly lol
but its got a 5volt preamp out

1987lxi
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
i had the alpine 9886. its a good imprint expandable head unit. has good clarity, usb options, ipod controls, and chageable back grounds. the usb also allows you to put music on a thumb drive and strem music from that. itll tell you happy bday. i like the clarion i have better tho. but none-the-less the alpine 9886 is a very good choice. one thing about a hu is that its one of the most important pieces of equip for your new system, itll make or break it.

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
:rofl: i was just lookin at that eclipse hu. does having higher volt rca outputs mean better sound quality?

1987lxi
05-03-2009, 01:43 PM
for your amps yes. the higher the voltage the better. but really most users dont need anymore than 6v outs, thats wat my clarion has. the alpine 9886 only has 4v rca ouput, the eclipse unit will most likely give more voltage. wats the model of the eclipse unit that you are looking at?

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Eclipse CD5030, what kinda clairion do u have?

1987lxi
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
from wat i can see, i dont see y that wouldnt be a good player for you. eclipse make great units, but most of the time they are a bit pricey. i have the clarion DXZ785USB.

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
the eclipse is the same price as the alpine but i fully believe u get what u pay for and u probably believe that too lol. so yea it's a lot but it'll be worth it in the end.

1987lxi
05-03-2009, 07:51 PM
i do believe in that saying. i personally would not go any lower than a alpine, eclipse, or clarion. i have used alpine more than any other brand. every unit is goin to have some type of down fall in my opinion, there is so such thing as a perfect product as far as im concerned. but do check with us to see wat we say b4 u purchase. opinions are good in the fact that some people have used them before and they can give you input instead of buyin something and regretting it. we are here to help you, thats wat the forum is for. good luck homie.

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
i was really liking that eclipse unit, i'm gonna call up a place in wichita and see if they got one, the eclipse site said they were and authorized dealer, and then go check it out. this is gonna be a paycheck by paycheck build lol

1987lxi
05-03-2009, 08:07 PM
dude take your time. building the rite system and piecing and putting it together should not be a rushed process, even if you are doing it piece by piece. we all start somewhere.

Hash_man_Se_i
05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Eclipse decks sound great... User interface on the last generation was mediocre IMO, but the CD5030 looks nice. We are an Eclipse dealer at my work, but CD5030s have not shown up yet, stupid orders are taking forever to get filled these days.

The Alpine 9886 is however a great deck too, user interface is very friendly, and sound quality is decent. The eclipse will have slightly higher voltage output, and generally tend to sound a little better than the Alpines so if you can get ahold of a 5030 i'd go for it. Built in Bluetooth is a plus too IMO.

I am personally using an older Alpine deck and i like it, thinking of swapping in my Denon though.

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
crutchfield says they're outta stock till the 15th. is everybody selling out of them or have they just not come out yet?

snoopyloopy
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
don't forget a good security system with the build if you don't have it! coming out to find your car gutted or gone (of course after you JUST finished buying all the sound and RIGHT before you were about to get the alarm) will make you feel quite warm and fuzzy.

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 08:23 PM
its not out yet
but you can preorder it would before they sell out lol

Hash_man_Se_i
05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
crutchfield says they're outta stock till the 15th. is everybody selling out of them or have they just not come out yet?

Yea like geddt said they probably just haven't received them yet. Release on this deck has been pushed back a few times.

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
yea that'd be great to loose it all lol. i think i'll read up on some previous threads about alarm systems. i wouldn't really worry about it to much cuz my small 13,000 ppl town but there are stupid rednecks that like to blast their country and stupid enough to break into my car lol.

REDNECKS!!!!!! (anybody watch that Futurama movie will understand lol)

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
you can get a basic alarm off ebay for cheap
like 100-150

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 08:55 PM
sooooo after reading a bit about the alarms...can i wire them up without the auto door locks? damn dx lol

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
ya

GemBawb89DX
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
shweet lol

ghettogeddy
05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
but for about 20 -30 you can install power locks
its actually quite easy

AccordB20A
05-03-2009, 11:22 PM
but for about 20 -30 you can install power locks
its actually quite easy

go hard out oem and steal the power locks from an accord with power locks :)

GemBawb89DX
05-04-2009, 06:41 AM
i think i read on here at one point that the dx's are even arlready wired to have power locks? that true or was is something else

ghettogeddy
05-04-2009, 06:52 AM
i think i read on here at one point that the dx's are even arlready wired to have power locks? that true or was is something else

i dont think there wired for power locks
maybe power mirrors

89T
05-04-2009, 03:38 PM
geddy you are starting to sound like an audio MOD.

You show some real passion.

I wish i still had the passion for it.:thumbup:

ghettogeddy
05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
geddy you are starting to sound like an audio MOD.

You show some real passion.

I wish i still had the passion for it.:thumbup:

i love car audio
its like the dude from the first fast and the furious how motors
calm him down lol

i feel at home with a jewelers screwdriver turning knobs

i can buld them big and expensive and i can build them big and cheap
trust is the major issue lol

i can make 2 sony p5 10"s
hit as hard as a solo 12"s

just takes trust

some dont believe
but it can be done

89T
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
i under stand what you're putting down.
keep it up though.
back in the 90's i had a few car's getting shipped from Cali to get hooked up and a couple in LRM.
that was i when i had the passion.