PDA

View Full Version : A/C Idle

Ajbent86
05-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Recently my idle increase for my A/C has quit functioning. Originally I thought it was simply an adjustment to the idle screw but i was wrong.

When the A/C is turned on, it no longer "advances" the idle when it’s turned on. The end result is my idle is at about 400 when sitting at a red light with the A/C compressor on.........

Hopefully this is an easy fix that you guys already know about. I hate sitting at a red light thinking to my self: "Please dont stall....."

It is an 89 DX 4-door 5-speed Carb.

russiankid
05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Most likely the A/C idle boost diaphragm.

Ajbent86
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Is that a serviceable part? Or does it have to be replaced?

russiankid
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think anyone sells a repair kit for it. You can replace the part with a good working junkyard unit or a brand new one from the dealer. Just get a vacuum pump and test it. If it doesn't hold vacuum then thats your problem. If it does, then it could be the solenoid that directs vacuum to it.

Toneloc5145
05-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Originally I thought it was simply an adjustment to the idle screw but i was wrong.

When you say this, are you talking about the regular idle screw, or the A/C idle screw. I know, for some reason, that my A/C idle screw backed out over time and my idle never increased when i turned the A/C on. I was just playing around one day and turned the screw back in, and now my idle "boosts" like its supposed to.

Ajbent86
05-03-2009, 08:48 AM
When you say this, are you talking about the regular idle screw, or the A/C idle screw. I know, for some reason, that my A/C idle screw backed out over time and my idle never increased when i turned the A/C on. I was just playing around one day and turned the screw back in, and now my idle "boosts" like its supposed to.

I was refering to the A/C idle screw.

I went down and looked at it again this morning, the linkage that connects the "idle boost" to the throttle does not move at all when the A/C button is pressed. So at least now i know where the problem orgin is......