PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan removal

helmut
05-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I blasted a huge hole in my pan and I was attempting to fix today. I drop the exhaust and removed all the bolts on the pan but the bitch wont come out. It's like its caught on something. I can wiggle the shit out of it but it just wont come out. I know the book says to remove the cross member but I got scared cause engines are heavy. Do I need to remove the center cross member? I don't want the engine to fall on my head when doing this. The car is a 1989 Honda SEI

russiankid
05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes remove the cross member and the engine will not fall on you. Did you remove the PCV return hose?

2drSE-i
05-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Post pics of the car!

Remove the crossmember, and sometimes it might take a light smack from a rubber mallet. A lot of people say leave some oil in the pan (not that you really have an option in this case) to weight it down. This thing has been on for years, and is pretty well cemented on there with the gasket and gasket sealer.

helmut
05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/helmut7/car0824.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/helmut7/odometer0824.jpg

2drSE-i
05-04-2009, 08:33 PM
ahaha best color of any 3g ever! i may be slightly biased :kekeke:

that suckers got some miles eh?

Discovery
05-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I blasted a huge hole in my pan and I was attempting to fix today. I drop the exhaust and removed all the bolts on the pan but the bitch wont come out. It's like its caught on something. I can wiggle the shit out of it but it just wont come out. I know the book says to remove the cross member but I got scared cause engines are heavy. Do I need to remove the center cross member? I don't want the engine to fall on my head when doing this. The car is a 1989 Honda SEI

It should be an easy removal, make shure you replace the gasket or oil will burn on the exhaust.

Joay
05-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Is that the original engine? And an SE-i?
Looks way too clean to have 400k.

helmut
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Is that the original engine? And an SE-i?
Looks way too clean to have 400k.

It's the original engine and transmission. I have replaced just about everything on it other than those items. Up to 420000 miles now.

OK I got the cross member out and the engine did not crush my head. That little shield on the the side of the transmission was a bitch to remove. I kind of had to twist and deform it a little to get it to come out. I don't know how it's going to go back on but it's not going to be easy. Also how do you get the remaining gasket off? Some of that is really stuck on the pan.

lostforawhile
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
It's the original engine and transmission. I have replaced just about everything on it other than those items. Up to 420000 miles now.

OK I got the cross member out and the engine did not crush my head. That little shield on the the side of the transmission was a bitch to remove. I kind of had to twist and deform it a little to get it to come out. I don't know how it's going to go back on but it's not going to be easy. Also how do you get the remaining gasket off? Some of that is really stuck on the pan.how did you blow a hole in the pan?

russiankid
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Use gasket remover. It will remove paint though, so you will have to repaint the surface. I would just get a new oil pan from Honda and call it a day.

Dr_Snooz
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM

OK I got the cross member out and the engine did not crush my head. That little shield on the the side of the transmission was a bitch to remove. I kind of had to twist and deform it a little to get it to come out. I don't know how it's going to go back on but it's not going to be easy. Also how do you get the remaining gasket off? Some of that is really stuck on the pan.

Gasket scraper and an afternoon should do it. :(

helmut
05-06-2009, 12:06 AM
how did you blow a hole in the pan?

Left front ball joint snapped when I was on the highway doing 60 mph. The axle pull out and punctured a hole in the pan. Wreck a lot off stuff. The axle was bent. The tire twisted under the car and and scrapped on the sidewall until the car stopped flattening the tire. Worst part was the $200 tow. I talked to this guy at the shop and he says he can braze the hole in the pan. To much work to go pull one at the junk yard if they even have one and Honda probably wants more than the car is worth for the pan.

lostforawhile
05-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Left front ball joint snapped when I was on the highway doing 60 mph. The axle pull out and punctured a hole in the pan. Wreck a lot off stuff. The axle was bent. The tire twisted under the car and and scrapped on the sidewall until the car stopped flattening the tire. Worst part was the $200 tow. I talked to this guy at the shop and he says he can braze the hole in the pan. To much work to go pull one at the junk yard if they even have one and Honda probably wants more than the car is worth for the pan.
they aren;that bad in price did you check on here to see if someone wanted to sell one?

russiankid
05-06-2009, 03:08 AM

$130 for the pan.

Civic Accord Honda
05-06-2009, 03:19 AM
damn man thats got some miles! love that color bro and SE-i FTW!!

2drSE-i
05-06-2009, 03:47 AM
glad you got the pan off! I wouldn't trust someone to braze my oil pan, just get a new one. JY oil pan should be fine, or get a new one.

tech209
05-06-2009, 07:34 AM
damn bro still having trouble with mine ....the exhaust bolt got stripped and there is no way to get anything else in there besides the socket wrench, just left it alone and its been 2 months already

MessyHonda
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
yeah remove the front cross member...engine will not fall...get a new pan and a honda OEM gasket...i used some sealent and left it to dry overnight

helmut
05-12-2009, 02:15 PM
I finished it a couple off days ago. I believe it leaks less oil than it did before. Now onto the water pump.