PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord oil leak

Forrest
05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I have an 89 SE-I that has developed an oil leak. It was leaking while driving and it turned out to be the O-ring behind the cooler where the filter is. It is now leaking while parked in the driveway. I also changed the O-ring on the dist. As oil is all over the place, it's hard to figure out where it's coming from. The timing belt is dry. I guess my question is, if the oil pan gasket is bad will it leak when parked. Same question for the rear main seal. I' m thinking that the oil level wouldn't be high enough while just sitting there.
Thanks for any replies.
Forrest

lostforawhile
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I have an 89 SE-I that has developed an oil leak. It was leaking while driving and it turned out to be the O-ring behind the cooler where the filter is. It is now leaking while parked in the driveway. I also changed the O-ring on the dist. As oil is all over the place, it's hard to figure out where it's coming from. The timing belt is dry. I guess my question is, if the oil pan gasket is bad will it leak when parked. Same question for the rear main seal. I' m thinking that the oil level wouldn't be high enough while just sitting there.
Thanks for any replies.
Forrest
you are going to cause massive confusion since we have a forrest already lol, it's not a cooler behind the oil filter,thats the filter base, you need to order the special O ring from honda,it's cheap, and replace it,there are FAQ's on here about how to do it

Forrest
05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I replaced the O-ring several months ago. I called it a cooler because I was reading a thread the other day and someone said that it was. I didn't remember if mine was or not. Different engine, I guess. Anywhoo ... sorry about the name Forrest ... maybe I'll re-register as "Trees".

labeledsk8r
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
it could be the oil return line or part of the pvc valve lines/system, almost all of those gaskets and hoses are as old as the car and need to be replaced.

good way top find the leak would be to wash the underside of the car really well and jack it up and run it for a few minutes then crawl under there and try to find the wet spots and go from there

and on the user name if you want to change it just PM a mod and theyd be happy to change it for you.. i doubt anyone will mix you up with the other forrest

ps welcome

lostforawhile
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I replaced the O-ring several months ago. I called it a cooler because I was reading a thread the other day and someone said that it was. I didn't remember if mine was or not. Different engine, I guess. Anywhoo ... sorry about the name Forrest ... maybe I'll re-register as "Trees".

we have a forrest i was cutting up with you maby forrest trees?

Forrest
05-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Cutting up is cool. I probably, most likely, chose Forrest as a habitual habit, after my many years in the Department of Redundancy, Department.

2oodoor
05-06-2009, 02:43 AM
you are going to cause massive confusion since we have a forrest already lol, it's not a cooler behind the oil filter,thats the filter base, you need to order the special O ring from honda,it's cheap, and replace it,there are FAQ's on here about how to do it

cough cough, mine has a cooler there cough cough (jdm goodness)

oil pump can leak too, same type gasket as the oil filter base but it seals the pump, as well the one inside the pump, sixteen bucks at Honda for the gaskets. (my cost)
it can leak and still not get on the belt too.