PDA

View Full Version : MPG and suspension

jasonrebellion
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
My 87 Lxi is only getting approximately 22 mpg at the moment. I was under the impression that I should be getting closer to 30.... My tw sensor was bad and it went from 19 to 22 after that was replaced and the ecu cleared the code. My suspension is worn out and I was trying to determine if i needed to change the coil springs or just the struts? The car will bottom out if i hit a bump hard enough but it mostly just bounces a lot. It's got an auto tranny too. Any ideas?

Jason

Dr_Snooz
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Bad news man. Definitely get some new struts on there. You're endangering yourself, everyone who rides with you and everyone you drive near on the road. Springs don't really wear out, but you'll be hard pressed to find shocks without the springs attached.

As for the mpg, it sounds like you've really let the car go. Proper care and maintenance will get your mpg back up. That assumes that the car's not too far gone already. Might just want to drive that one straight to the wrecking yard though.

jasonrebellion
05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
its actually gotten better since i piad the $350 for it actually, I just bought the car 2 weeks ago.... I actually can't seem to find just some oem coilovers though, unless i want to lower it

Civic Accord Honda
05-06-2009, 01:44 AM
get some KYB shocks off ebay for it and reuse your old springs,
as far as mpg time for a real proper tune up bro

REPLACE:
Spark plugs (NGK V-Powers)
Spark plug leads (NGK_
Dizzy Cap and rotor
Fuel Filter
02 Sensor
Air Filter
Oil Change
Timing belt and water pump if you dont know when it was last replaced
Coolant flush(when doing this its a good time to inspect all the hoses)
Thermostat
Change transmission fulid

CLEAN:
EGR
IACV
TB
Injectors

and adjust your valves if they tick

i may be forgetting some stuff but doing everything i just listed should boost your mpg back up and will make your honda last for a long time :)

jasonrebellion
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I've already changed:

Water pump ( checked the timing belt when i took the upper cover off, it looked almost new, so i didn't replace it)
the oil and filter (the oil change place informed me my water pump was leaking, it wasn't pouring just coming out the weep hole, but i went ahead and replaced it)
Spark plugs
Flushed the coolant when i did the water pump
I'm gonna change the tranny fluid this weekend or next
I've run a couple bottles of injector cleaner through the fuel system
I might replace the distributor cap and rotor while im doing the tranny fluid, but i did inspect it and it didn't look to be bad or even worn really, but it's cheap so I'll just do it anyways, is there any tranny fluid that'll do alright other than the honda brand? I know some of the 3rd party stuff has some that says is ok for hondas, i just don't wanna have to pay 60 bucks for tranny fluid

Jason

itzdave
05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
yea u can use 10w30, but honda mtf ftw!

itzdave
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
^that is, if u are 5spd