PDA

View Full Version : 8 accord not running right help asap!!!!!

petey882
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
ok i have an 89 accord lxi 2 door i bought for 300 bucks found a motor from a honda specialty junkyard the first one i got i changed it out and it wouldnt run checked compression and had #1 210 #2 120 #3 210 #4 150 so i took the motor back out and the place i got it from gave me another one and said it was tested and good so i put it in yesterday and it runs but it is rough.... it is running almost exactly like the one i pulled out it is backfiring through the intake and has hardly any power it seems to idle smooth but when i rev it up and let it come back to idle it usually cuts off but will crank right back up... so i took the plugs out #1 and # 4 are black like exhaust and #2 and #3 are white colored.. ive changed the plugs and it has a new cap and rotor on it has new injectors and fuel pump and filter but its just funny this motor is running exactly like the one i took out... does anyone think this could be a computer problem i really dont want to pull the motor out again the car does have 279000 miles on it please help someone its drivin me crazy would a bad computer cause it to do this

BITESIZE
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Is your check engine light on? Do you have any codes blinking on your ecu? Does it have good gas in the tank? Is the timing correct? Are the oxygen sensers bad? Is the vaccuum advance diaghram working correctly? Is the coil bad?

Try new spark plug wires.

petey882
05-06-2009, 04:31 PM
check engine light is not on no codes timing is right new vacumm advance... if the coil was bad it wouldnt run at all would it how do i test it

Dr_Snooz
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm very skeptical of those compression test numbers. A new engine will only manage 180 psi. How you're getting 210 is beyond me.

Anyway, what's the story on these engines? Have they been sitting in a yard for 10 years in the weather? That would explain a lot right there. It's possible that you can blow the worst out just by driving it, but be gentle. I won't do another used engine. You save a little bit of labor if all goes well. If it doesn't, then you're basically screwed. Just rebuild them yourself in the future.

87lxiaccord
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm very skeptical of those compression test numbers. A new engine will only manage 180 psi. How you're getting 210 is beyond me.

Anyway, what's the story on these engines? Have they been sitting in a yard for 10 years in the weather? That would explain a lot right there. It's possible that you can blow the worst out just by driving it, but be gentle. I won't do another used engine. You save a little bit of labor if all goes well. If it doesn't, then you're basically screwed. Just rebuild them yourself in the future.
Carbon buildup can raise compression numbers.
You can check the coil with a volt meter and make sure it's putting out enough. Then check the continuity in each plug wire and make sure none are broken. Even new plug wires can sometimes be faulty.
Have you done a compression test on the new motor?

petey882
05-07-2009, 05:14 AM
how do i check the coil what do i need to do to see if its putting out enough it really seems like a timing issue but i have checked the belt and everything as i changed it before i installed the motor and i checked it again the other day with the motor in the car and it is dead on i just dont get it i will be doing a compression test this afternoon its just really funny how this motor is running the exact same way the original motor that i took out was had same symptoms backfiring through the intake no power and if you hold it at about 3000 rpm you can hear that valves makin a little noise and if i drive it it almost stalls out before i get the clutch out i have to give it a lot of gas to get it goin i was turnin 4500 rpm in second gear and was only goin 30mph max

petey882
05-07-2009, 07:58 AM
ok so i was messing qwith it and tried pulling the plugs on the injectors while it was running so i pulled #1 and nothing changed so i plugged it back in and pulled #2 and the motor about cut off and the sdame for #3 and then i pulled #4 and nothing changed the same as #1 would that be bad injectors or could that be the computer how can i check the injector to see if it is good or the wiring coming to it