PDA

View Full Version : Here is a question for you...

TeKKnoTeKK
09-29-2002, 09:53 PM
How hot should the rotors get under normal driving conditions? I wouldn't think they should be hot at all unless you are using the brakes quite a bit. Could someone do me a favor and feel your rotors after a long drive to see how hot they are? I swear mine are dragging.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-29-2002, 10:03 PM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard your rotors get up to 500-600 degrees during normal driving. Regardless whether they're dragging or not, they will always be hot (or at least really warm) if you get out and touch them after driving. Mine don't drag at all, but I would definitely burn my finger if I touched it after driving. :)

Did you replace that master cylinder already? If so, what kind did you use (new, reman, etc)?

Dutchboy
09-29-2002, 10:23 PM
yah they get hot.....I DONT SUGGEST TOUCHING THEM...
if you ever watch racing you can see the rotor glowing red sometimes....
especially on the rally racing...

Ben

anchovies
09-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
Could someone do me a favor and feel your rotors after a long drive to see how hot they are?

Are you trying to trick us into doing something stupid?

TeKKnoTeKK
09-29-2002, 11:00 PM
yeah I replaced the master cylinder already...it was reman. from autozone. They were definetly dragging, but I am pretty sure replacing the master cylinder fixed that because they get a lot les hot now. Sure they will get hot with a lot of braking (rally and race cars) But I am talking like freeway driving not using the brakes at all, doesn't seem like the pad should be touching the rotor therefore I wouldn't think it would get hot. Who knows. I am just trying to find out where this loss of power has come from and after I replaced the MC it got better, I can't help but think there is still a problem with the brakes somewhere.

anchovies
09-29-2002, 11:13 PM
Does the wheels spin freely when you put it on jack stands.
I know my left side does not spin easily as the right, the caliper piston might be stuck.

A20A1
09-29-2002, 11:19 PM
I think it heats up from the car itself... and also form the constant friction of the tires... the rims may not get as hot cause it's in contact with the outside air and has holes for ventilation.

TeKKnoTeKK
09-30-2002, 12:46 AM
I will try your idea anchovies about seeing if the wheels spins freely, if it doesn't I am gonna be pissed.

shepherd79
09-30-2002, 04:16 AM
the will probably be hot but i don't think they should be hot that much.
check your pads. make sure where metal to metal contact there is some kind brake grease.

mike_fx_u
09-30-2002, 04:28 AM
I had a problem with the break pedal going all the way to the floor occasionally. After I put my new engine in I went ahead and replace the master cylinder(reman. from Autozone) since there was more room. There is a huge improvement and no more pedal to the floor.

Mike

Immeraufdemhund
09-30-2002, 06:15 AM
Think about this, if you have an electric stove and you heat it up. After you turn it off how long does it stay hot? Metal doesn't cool off very quickly if it doesn't have air on it. So naturally it's going to be hot. If you stay at Advance or auto zone and watch their tv. there is one commercial that tells you all about your brakes. (I had to stick around one time while they checked a few things for me car) that was a while ago so they might have taken off the commercial.

ACCORD EX
09-30-2002, 01:42 PM
rotors get hot even if you don't apply brakes at all ! the pads are always in slight contact with the rotors even if brakes not applied ! and yes they do get verrrrrrrrrrry hot !

MIKE

89AccordNate
09-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Tekkno: check your calipers. If a caliper is sticking it will cause your brakes to drag. I had this problem and had to put in a remanufactured caliper. Its fixed now, but my brakes were dragging so bad on one side that I would have to down shift and my gas mileage was TERRIBLE. If the caliper doesnt swing all the way up and doesnt have any front to back motion when you yank on it, its stuck...put a new one in....it simple.

Nate.

pimp86LX
09-30-2002, 06:27 PM
mine were cold....:-P
well warm but very mild to the touch.

peace out