PDA

View Full Version : Car was running fine but now...

BobaFreak
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
It wont start. Today i went to install new brake pads and a new valve cover. Everything went well on that part. I started the car and backed out my drive way and turned on the lights to notice they were really dim and the interior lights were as well. So i was thinking and realized i forgot to connect the ground to the valve cover. So i turned off the car and the lights and etc of the car. Connected the ground to the valve cover and the lights and everything were fine.

I turned the key the pgmfi goes on and it clicks off like normal. Try to start and it doesent start. Now i know before i did have a issue in the morning when it was hot inside my car i had to wait for it to cool turn the key and wait till i hear the click after the pgmfi light went off and start. Now it wont even do that. The weather right now is about 60 degrees so i doubt it has anything to do with that. I really need help cause its the only car i have at the moment since my eg is out of comission due to no motor in the car.

my car is a 87 accord fuel injected auto.

another thing i noticed as well while i was giving the car gas my gas pedal goes almost down to the floor now which just happened.

ghettogeddy
05-07-2009, 11:18 PM
is the ground solid
also you other prob is the fuel relay
youc an pull it and resolder or just grab one at the jy
\but they can be a pain in the ass to get to

BobaFreak
05-07-2009, 11:26 PM
is the ground solid
also you other prob is the fuel relay
youc an pull it and resolder or just grab one at the jy
\but they can be a pain in the ass to get to

The ground from the valve cover im assuming your talking about?
The fuel relay...Is that under the dashboard along with the main relay?
If so im going to replace both tomorrow. Looks like im renting a car. Just dont know how im getting there.

ghettogeddy
05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
The ground from the valve cover im assuming your talking about?
The fuel relay...Is that under the dashboard along with the main relay?
If so im going to replace both tomorrow. Looks like im renting a car. Just dont know how im getting there.

ya its the same relay lol

BobaFreak
05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
ya its the same relay lol

Hmm i wouldnt think it was that. I driven the car all day with no problems i forget to connect the ground to the valve cover, the car still started...connect it... now it wont start. this will be super fail if its not even the main relay.

BobaFreak
05-08-2009, 05:56 AM
car started this morning...

2drSE-i
05-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Yea i suggest pulling out the main relay. Alot of times, over the years, the solders go bad in that relay and it only works under the best circumstances. What you can do is pull it out, resolder it (as gheddy said) and put it back in. Also, like he said, it is a MAJOR pain in the ass to get to. What i did is i went to a junkyard that pulls the parts for you, bought one from them for 15 bucks, and left the old one where it is. I just unhooked the harness from the old relay, and stuck the "new" one on.

BobaFreak
05-08-2009, 06:34 AM
If i had another car i would go get one at a junkyard. I cant even drive the car now because when i was giving the car gas yesterday, the gas pedal now has no pressure and is pretty much to the floor. So now its 2 things i need to get fixed. Anyone know off by hand the part number for the main relay? I looked on autozones website and they have 2 different models. O.E.M. #39400-SE3-003 then this one, Power O.E.M. #39792-SE0-003,39792-SE0-004

w261w261
05-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Changing that main relay can be a real PITA. At least it was for me. You can read about my adventure in this thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61773&highlight=main+relay

In retrospect, I could have saved myself some trouble if I had taken down the fuse block, then gone across with more room to spare.

Going in through the change drawer, I didn't have enough room for the ratchet to work, but I described a tool that I bought afterwards here, which I think would have worked well:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62698&highlight=main+relay

BobaFreak
05-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Changing that main relay can be a real PITA. At least it was for me. You can read about my adventure in this thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61773&highlight=main+relay

In retrospect, I could have saved myself some trouble if I had taken down the fuse block, then gone across with more room to spare.

Going in through the change drawer, I didn't have enough room for the ratchet to work, but I described a tool that I bought afterwards here, which I think would have worked well:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62698&highlight=main+relay

yeah i saw your thread at 4am this morning. lol. Yes i was really trying to figure this issue out. im going to have a mechanic play with this today. Im kinda over it now. im going to have to have it towed due to the throttle cable.

Dr_Snooz
05-08-2009, 09:49 PM
You've checked the throttle cable linkage under the hood right? You might have smacked something and bent things while working on the valve cover. No sense in paying a tow guy for something you can fix yourself. That shouldn't be hard at all.

Bluntman
05-09-2009, 07:21 AM
If i had another car i would go get one at a junkyard. I cant even drive the car now because when i was giving the car gas yesterday, the gas pedal now has no pressure and is pretty much to the floor. So now its 2 things i need to get fixed. Anyone know off by hand the part number for the main relay? I looked on autozones website and they have 2 different models. O.E.M. #39400-SE3-003 then this one, Power O.E.M. #39792-SE0-003,39792-SE0-004

I use this site when I need OEM part numbers.
http://bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/catdisplay.jsp?inputstate=1&catcgry1=Accord&gclid=CPOqo6XHwpMCFQuH1QodeixGDQ

Oldblueaccord
05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I wonder if the gas pedal became the ground and the was some heat and melting going on. Thats happen like to members here 2 times now.

I would look at your battery/battery voltage and see where your at with that its easy check.

wp

ArokASE88LXi
05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Oldblueaccord I think has it right. If the issue with the ground being off and it being dim and the issue with th acc. pedal started at the same time i would hesitate to think that was a coinsidence (spelling?) If the acc. cable was acting as the ground it could have got hot just as he said and stretched. at any rate i would have the mechanic look at that (if ya already had it towed) personally I would remove the air ducting so you could see the butterfly, turn the key on and put a "button" on the starter contacts (PLEASE make sure the trans is in neutral or park first!) and crank it from there while observing the butterfly valve. I'm curious to know what you find though please keep us updated.