PDA

View Full Version : not reving up fully after idle

petey882
05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
ok this ca is really becoming a pain in the butt i finally got it running right and the fan working right now when i first crank the car it will rev all the way to the redline just fine no problem then after it warms up and you let it idle for more than a minute and try to rev it up it bogs down and you have to keep pumping the gas a little to make the revs go higher and higher but it never revs past 5200 at the most but if you cut the car off for a minute and crank it back up it will rev to redline fine but as soon as you let it idle for a minute then it does it all over again anybody have a clue ive already changed the spark plugs(which were a little light brown whitish color) and the wires has new cap and button so what else could it be

petey882
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
i forgot to add this... i just got the motor running the other day the plug wires were on the wrong place on the dizzy could that have messed the motor up running it with the wires in the wrong place

russiankid
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Holy batman run on sentence. Periods and comma's are your friend.

Is this fuel injected or carburetored?

petey882
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
sorry im a lazy typer..... it is an 88 accord lxi fi i have replaced injectors and fuel filter also

petey882
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
anybody have any ideas i really need this car running i jave replace the coolant twemp sensor the other one beside it also and the throttle body with new tp sensor so what else could it be

BITESIZE
05-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Why do you start 50 threads about your car not working?

petey882
05-08-2009, 06:07 PM
um because those problems have been fixed this is a new problem so i start a new thread why you gotta be a jerk i thought you were here to help

petey882
05-09-2009, 05:16 AM
it almost seems like its getting too much gas because the longer you let it idle the worse it get and you can pump the throttle a little to get it to go higher but its definitely not right when you pump the gas you can here it sucking air like mad just wont rev up right

LX-incredible
05-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Have you reset the ECU since correcting the firing order?

I'll venture a guess and say that the O2 sensors are not too happy after having unburnt fuel dumped on them... Unplug them and see if it gets better.

Be sure to reset the ECU after unplugging or replacing any sensor. Pull the ECU/Clock fuse in the underhood box and reinstall after a few minutes. Start car with accessories off, let idle (no revving!) for at least 10 min, and shut off. Car can be restarted and driven normally.

petey882
05-09-2009, 06:24 AM
im not getting a check engine light or anything tho which is weird wouldnt i get that if it was the o2 sensor should it run right with the o2 sensor unplugged and i have reset the ecu because its been runnin like that and ive unplugged a couple things while it was runnin and the cel came on so i reset it

petey882
05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
ok so i unplugged both the o2 sensors and it still acted the same and then eventually the cel came on but not right away.... so i plugged them back up and reset the ecu and let it idle for 15 minutes then i decided to give it a road test.....wow what a trip that was...... whe i would give it gas starting in first it was surging and trying to rev up but something is not letting it it eventually gets up to rpms but is very slow and is jerking the whole time and it just gets worse it took a good 3/4 mile to get to 55mph

Bluntman
05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
i forgot to add this... i just got the motor running the other day the plug wires were on the wrong place on the dizzy could that have messed the motor up running it with the wires in the wrong place

Are you sure all the plug wires are correct now. I mean positively sure.

petey882
05-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Yes it is running a lot better than it was just won't rrev up right now I know the power is there something is restricting either fuel or it is gretting to much it will idle like a champ but as soon as you rev it it bogfs and takes a while to rev up im wondering could the plug wires being on wrong could've burnt the valves or something or could it be a stick injector maybe

Oldblueaccord
05-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Replace your plugs and give a good look at the old ones. if the black and sooty the car is running to rich. Use the plain NGK's.

wp

petey882
05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I replaced the plugs already and they were light brown whitish color I put autolite copper plugs in it didn't make a difference at all

petey882
05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
i was just looking over the car and found a blown fuse in the trunk so i went looking to see which one it couldve been and looked in the main fuse box under the hood and noticed it was the fuse for the battery its the funny looking fuse with the copper prongs that stick off the side that is help down with two screws..... well whoever found the bad fuse replaced it with a piece of wire and some round stake ons would this be causing the problem or no i am going to get a fuse to put back there but would this have anything to do with the problems i am having

Oldblueaccord
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
What is the fuse for? the cover should have a diagram of what goes with what and some where on here there is a picture as well. I think you no this but jumping it out is not a good idea at all.

If all the plugs looked ok then each cylinder should be fire well. There something going on either tune up wise or the motor is bad (low compression).

wp

petey882
05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
as i said in the post it was the battery fuse.... i have replaced the plugs and did a compression test and got 180 all the way across it has a fairly new cap and rotor button is there a way to see if tis the computer without actually changing it..... the longer you let it idle the worse it gets.... i was letting it run and i decided to hold it at 3000rpm and about every 5-10 seconds the rpms would drop about 3-500 for a couple seconds then go back up and just kept doing it the whole time i held it...... im bout ready to set this car on fire

petey882
05-10-2009, 05:02 AM
another question where does the signal come from for the rpm guage becasue my guage is also jumping a little bit and the motor isnt even being reved just wondering would this have anything to do with it i am about to give up i am stumped

Bluntman
05-10-2009, 06:26 AM
I am just taking a shot in the dark. Maybe a MAF sensor issue. Here are the symptoms of a MAF sensor problem.

High Fuel Consumption

Halious
-Other problems are, severe drop in power, inability to accelerate, stalling out, & your wallet gets a lot lighter. You can clean it with carburator cleaner and it may last another month or so, but it will need to be replaced soon. Despite the important sounding name it's easy to replace. It lies somewhere between the air filter & the throttle body buy a new one and compare it to parts you see along the air intake system(A lot of German cars like VW & Audi put them in the air filter box bolted to the top section that you lift off to see the air filter. Chevy likes to put them right in front of the throttle body. Usually prettty easy to find & work on.). A few bolts, & a couple wires. At least save yourself some money on labor costs.
You can also get MAF cleaner at a auto parts.
When cleaning the sensor, be very careful because it is a delicate piece of electronics. Don't touch the wire inside either. Spray the cleaner liberally and clean off all angles of the wire. Make sure it completely dries before plugging the sensor back in.It doesn't hurt to clean it either way especially if you have a oiled cone filter.

petey882
05-10-2009, 06:51 AM
um i dont think this car has mass air flow sensor

Bluntman
05-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I should have looked at my 88 LXI first LOL. Mine runs like new. I work on it and keep it in great shape. All stock and great car.

petey882
05-10-2009, 07:19 AM
well i just bought this thing 2 weeks ago and it has been my worst nightmare i dont know what to do

LX-incredible
05-10-2009, 12:09 PM
another question where does the signal come from for the rpm guage becasue my guage is also jumping a little bit and the motor isnt even being reved just wondering would this have anything to do with it i am about to give up i am stumped

That can be the sign of a bad ignitor, but can also be poor grounds/wiring to the distributor...

What did you set the plug gap at?

Also check that you have the vacuum lines hooked up properly, especially to the MAP sensor. It should have manifold vacuum at all times.

petey882
05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
i think i may have found the problem...... when i was putting the motor in i broke the vacuum advance switch on the distributor so i went and got one from the junkyard but it was off of an automatic.... so i compared the two and sure enough the 5spd advance switch shaft is about 1/4 inch shorter than the automatic so i had to order a new one will be here in the morning will let all know if that fixes it.... btw i found this website justanswer.com and you can pay 9 bucks and talk to a live expert for your vehicle and can answer anything thats how i got this figured out the guy i talked to was a honda master technician for 22 years he knew his stuff they answer other stuff besides cars too so check it out for anything

petey882
05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
well that was another 60 bucks wasted on this car.... the vacuum switch didnt fix it does anybody else have a clue

Dr_Snooz
05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
i was just looking over the car and found a blown fuse in the trunk so i went looking to see which one it couldve been and looked in the main fuse box under the hood and noticed it was the fuse for the battery its the funny looking fuse with the copper prongs that stick off the side that is help down with two screws..... well whoever found the bad fuse replaced it with a piece of wire and some round stake ons would this be causing the problem or no i am going to get a fuse to put back there but would this have anything to do with the problems i am having

I'd like to hear more about this. You found a burned out fuse that sounds like the main fuse in the trunk? Was it burned through or did it just get old, fatigue and snap? Usually it takes an unusually high load going in an unusually bad direction to get those to burn through. There's no telling what sensors, relays or computers got burned up when that happened.

LX-incredible
05-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Have you checked the timing? With a timing light?

petey882
05-18-2009, 03:45 AM
i got it fixed guys wound up being a bad fuel pump and lots of rust in the gas tank but no rust on the car i think this car may have been sitting for a while but motor is running excellent now just gotta get the little things fixed now...... i may start another thread but if some one has an idea about this let me know... the windshield wipers will not turn off unless i unplug the motor itself under the hood would this be a bad switch and also the door light on the dash will not go off when the ignition is on even with the doors closed i know the switches are working because it turns the interior light off when you close the door but the door light on the dash just remains on