PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Stock Accord Speakers?

gr3k0sLaV
05-09-2002, 07:12 AM
Today I just put a JVC Mp3 head - unit on lay by today, they wanted $499 for it (including installation) and I go, how much without installation and the guy goes $399 , so I say fine...ill give you a $50 on it now. It has just been recently and is sweet!

Anyways as im on a very limited budget, I will install it but I will stick with the stock speakers and wiring for now....and im curious as to what is the quality of the stock accord speakers like when coupled with a decent head unit, it has an output of 4x45 watts.

Also Im wondering how do you fit 6x9's in the back?

is it possible to cut the stock holes? or can the other rectangular holes be used?

Also when I eventually get around to installing new speakers, should I also upgrade the wiring? or can the stock wiring handle it?

And please as always, give me as much advice as possible....because I am still novice and well....:burn:

dumb when it comes to cars, so I :bow: to ye accord experts.

jclss99
05-09-2002, 09:54 AM
I still have stock wiring, I figure for your highs and mids stock wiring will always be fine. As far as speaker quality goes, open em up and look at em. My 6x9's looked like REALLY sorry excuses for speakers and I would definately say replace those. My 6.5's up front on the other hand, looked like a really good design, but the foam was really deteriorated. I like the idea of having the tweeter on a seperate supposrt instead of a pole coming through the midrange. I would say replace all 4 speakers though as you can afford to. Don't need to spend much at all to get it sounding alot better.

gr3k0sLaV
05-09-2002, 10:32 AM
stock 6x9's???? whaaat?

Mines all stock 6.5's

i had a look at my rear 6.5 a while back, the rubbery shit is deteriorating....

the front 6.5 are in perfect nick...or so it looks

Ive never heard the speakers in action before, as the car never had a radio when i got it>

dXsquared
05-09-2002, 11:29 AM
the average factory speaker costs less than 1 dollar to make! replacin ur speaks is the most efective way to boost sound quality. i know i used the stockers for a bit then i bought a pair of 200 dollar JBL's for the front and some carbon fibre 6 by 9's by Presion Power in the back. it sounds awesome. and dont forget a sub or two to really produce the lows or get some awesome ones and ratlle ur house when u roll by! thats what i do. i guess u can call me a bass junkie!
I MUST HAVE THE BUMP IN MY TRUNK!
Travis

gr3k0sLaV
05-09-2002, 06:42 PM
I thinking of either getting JBL 6.5 components for both the front and rear, or 220W kenwoods for the front and rear.

The kenwoods are slightly cheaper but got more power for about the same price ...$220

I want 6x9's in the back...but it looks like more hassle than its worth to fit them..

Can anyone post some photos of their rear speaker deck setups?

Vanilla Sky
05-09-2002, 07:39 PM
go for infinity components... i found them on the net for $150 new, which is a kickass price

they are the best sounding speakers i have ever heard

Derick

hondaaccord_86
05-09-2002, 08:11 PM
derick,
where'd you buy the infinity components? $150 looks like the best price i've seen for infinity. thanks.

-ed

chiller670
05-09-2002, 09:16 PM
gr3k0sLaV in america the 88-89 LXi models (top of the line) came with the 6X9 while all other models came with i'm guessing 6.5. So all you would really need to do is go to a junkyard and find a car that has 6X9 in the back and take them(if you want the stock look).:huh:

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2002, 12:14 AM
i got theset i have now from a guy around here, but i found them for $150 at http://www.carstereomall.com/store/store.cgi?command=listitems&pos=0&type=search2&search=inf-ref605cs

the FREQUENCY RESPONSE IS INCORRECT

Derick

89accordlxi
05-10-2002, 05:59 AM
In my opinion, get a good pair of 6.5 components for the front and no speakers in the rear. With a good set of front speakers, you will be able to fill the car with plenty of sound. The only reason to have 6x9s in the back is for the bass they produce. But even 6x9s don't produce that good of bass. Instead, for the price of the 6x9s, you can probably get a good 10" sub and 50wx2 amp. This way, with no speakers in the rear deck, your bass will be able to flow better through the speaker holes. That is the set up I am using except I have a single 12 and it sounds great. Another option is to get a 4 channel amp so that you can also power your front components if you get some high powered speakers.

Enough said. Good luck with what ever you end up doing.
I'm out..:super:

gr3k0sLaV
05-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Who knows, wait and see.........When I get money.

First things first though, I gotta pay off my head unit.

Damned mothers day will set me back a hundred or so.

shepherd79
05-10-2002, 11:26 AM
dude,
go with new alpine Type R speakers. They can handle anything. They are great. I am Alpine fan.
Or you can get something like pioneer or somewhere in that weard region. you got good headunit don't save money on speakers, get a good set.