PDA

View Full Version : custom intake manifold

mephi
05-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Could you make an intake manifold out of steel tubing and plating for a carbed car? What would be the issues or problems with such a setup?

2oodoor
05-10-2009, 02:32 PM
rust, and it would have to be trued up or it would leak (flanges)

Bass Man
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65138

lostforawhile
05-10-2009, 04:14 PM
yea you could do it,the main issue with steel is weight, if you are able to do it,just get them powdercoated and you'll be fine as far as rust, i would reccomend stainless though.

mephi
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks!

rjudgey
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
what carbs are you trying to fit?

2ndGenGuy
05-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Hmm never thought about rust inside the manifold. I dunno what powdercoating would do to the fuel flow inside, I would think that the smoother finish of the powdercoating might cause some fuel sticking or condensation.

lostforawhile
05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Hmm never thought about rust inside the manifold. I dunno what powdercoating would do to the fuel flow inside, I would think that the smoother finish of the powdercoating might cause some fuel sticking or condensation.

i meant the outside not sure about the inside

2ndGenGuy
05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Well considering I have a 90% finished steel intake manifold at home, I'd say I don't really see a huge problem with it. Would the fuel inside protect or cause corrosion?

lostforawhile
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Well considering I have a 90% finished steel intake manifold at home, I'd say I don't really see a huge problem with it. Would the fuel inside protect or cause corrosion?you know thats a good question, with the stupid corn fuel now, it attracts water,not sure about it corroding inside

mephi
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about making a new manifold for my 38, since the stock honda position causes it to stall out on hard turns. I really just want to turn the thing 90 degrees, or if I could find some nice ones, just screw the down draft and go with side draft. It's something for the future...Just a slightly drunk thought when I asked the question. Come to think about it, I do have an older Yamaha in storage right now with 4 side draft carbs on it. I might just take a peak at those if I can't get the bike running soon.

Well considering I have a 90% finished steel intake manifold at home, I'd say I don't really see a huge problem with it. Would the fuel inside protect or cause corrosion?

Couldn't you get that crinkle coat powder coat on the inside and then not worry so much about the condensation or rusting?

lostforawhile
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I was thinking about making a new manifold for my 38, since the stock honda position causes it to stall out on hard turns. I really just want to turn the thing 90 degrees, or if I could find some nice ones, just screw the down draft and go with side draft. It's something for the future...Just a slightly drunk thought when I asked the question. Come to think about it, I do have an older Yamaha in storage right now with 4 side draft carbs on it. I might just take a peak at those if I can't get the bike running soon.

Couldn't you get that crinkle coat powder coat on the inside and then not worry so much about the condensation or rusting?the fuel will cause it to flake off then it gets eaten by the engine. best solution is to have the manifold cadium plated, you can paint the outside any color you want but the plating will protect the inside