PDA

View Full Version : flat black 3 gee

88ctlxi
05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
ok so all of my body work is almost done and its time yto get into lookin for paint and i came across a bunch of cars with the "flat" look. so i got into searching around the internet and found this company http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx
now i was wondering if this is a single stage paint and how well it would hold up to sun weather etc. and in this case they sell the clear also for it that is pre flattened but my question is would i be able to get away with just a regular black base with that clear or should i get the whole kit with the flat black base and the clear or should i get just the base what would be the difference can anyone help me im lost!!!

lostforawhile
05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
thats a really well known product and yes it has uv inhibitors built right in. it looks like primer but is actually paint

89T
05-10-2009, 04:53 PM
hotrod black + satin clear

cubert
05-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I say do something other than black...

Flat black is played out.

ghettogeddy
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
flat pink with a semi gloss green racing stripe

lostforawhile
05-10-2009, 05:31 PM
flat pink with a semi gloss green racing stripe

you mistake him for CAH

gfrg88
05-10-2009, 07:58 PM
satin black.

mykwikcoupe
05-10-2009, 09:49 PM
save the dull paint for the old 30's rat rides. get something different like an iluminescent grey with blue pearl or something that shows up when conditions are just right. Black on purple pearl or something with an orange base to pop from the bottom. Paint is a major factor in looks, dont go easy.

turabaka
05-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I've been strongly considering satin black for awhile now, but what I want to know is how do you keep the paint from looking dirty as hell all the time? I've got a couple of satin black parts on my car, and they all show dirt like no other.

Civic Accord Honda
05-11-2009, 12:28 AM
flat black is the sexi time

thegreatdane
05-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Flat black sucks and always has sucked.

A18A
05-11-2009, 07:33 AM
yup yup.

88ctlxi
05-11-2009, 12:43 PM
well I got into looking and you can use their clear that is pre flattened over any base coat so i am going to do a midnight black top half and do a fire engine red bottom half and divide with a tribal design but what i want to do first is get all the paint and a small amount of their hot rod clear and do a hood that i have layin around to see what the effect is and when i do ill make sure to post some pix (new camera coming soon!!!!) of what it looks like or is going to look like completed its just i love the dull look on flat paint and it doesnt show any body imperfections!!!

lostforawhile
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I've been strongly considering satin black for awhile now, but what I want to know is how do you keep the paint from looking dirty as hell all the time? I've got a couple of satin black parts on my car, and they all show dirt like no other.
wash it a lot no wax of course,i do think they make a satin wax now

gfrg88
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

it actually should have a clear coat on it, if done right. So you when it's done right, it shouldn't really get any dirtier then the usual car.. its just not as glossy..semi gloss...

like this:

http://www.savageautosports.com/images/sema05_040.jpg

turabaka
05-12-2009, 12:09 PM
it actually should have a clear coat on it, if done right. So you when it's done right, it shouldn't really get any dirtier then the usual car.. its just not as glossy..semi gloss...

like this:

http://www.savageautosports.com/images/sema05_040.jpg

it's not that I expect it to get any dirtier than normal. It just seems like Satin black shows dirt worse than a gloss color does.

gfrg88
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
check out this thread too (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1512837)

gfrg88
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
it's not that I expect it to get any dirtier than normal. It just seems like Satin black shows dirt worse than a gloss color does.

hmmm, im not really sure since ive never had any of my cars that color.. just friends that i know have them.. and they wash their cars like every other day, seriously lol

86ccord
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
i agree.. hotrod black is the way to go.. i sprayed it on my dads truck bed cover and it came out really good.. its just hard as hell to spray..

frantik
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
black will always show more dirt..

turabaka
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM

true that.

86ccord
05-12-2009, 12:30 PM

and all the F ups you did on the body work.. :(

88ctlxi
05-16-2009, 06:46 AM
i agree.. hotrod black is the way to go.. i sprayed it on my dads truck bed cover and it came out really good.. its just hard as hell to spray..

when you sprayed it did you use the right nozzle for the gun they say you should atleast use a 1.4 tip with a 50-75% overlap

86ccord
05-16-2009, 12:49 PM
when you sprayed it did you use the right nozzle for the gun they say you should atleast use a 1.4 tip with a 50-75% overlap

yeah i had the correct nozzle.. cause i asked the guy from the paint store if i had the right nozzle and he said i had it.. and that was the size i used..

88ctlxi
05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
yeah i had the correct nozzle.. cause i asked the guy from the paint store if i had the right nozzle and he said i had it.. and that was the size i used..
ok just making sure i just wanted to know maybe what i was getting into lmao if its bad i might try something else but i still want a satin (flat) look

86ccord
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
ok just making sure i just wanted to know maybe what i was getting into lmao if its bad i might try something else but i still want a satin (flat) look

what i mean by hard to spray is, the way it looks when it hits the object.. like it will look really really thick on the object , or it will be really thin and you be dumb and put more paint on, so it will run..LOL

88ctlxi
05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
what i mean by hard to spray is, the way it looks when it hits the object.. like it will look really really thick on the object , or it will be really thin and you be dumb and put more paint on, so it will run..LOL

hahahaha ok thanks for the tip very mich then :bump: