PDA

View Full Version : How long will front wheel bearings last?

w261w261
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
My 89 has 220k on it, and the bearings have been fine. But, my suspension is in pieces on the floor of the garage, and I'm thinking that it would be so easy to just press some new ones in there. The bearings from Honda cost about $75 each with very little labor involved. But I don't want to spend money needlessly. My question is, does anyone know the expected life of these guys? My Explorer needed them at 110k, my Audi at 125k, but these are inferior brands to Honda.

Thx, and remember to call your mother and wish her happy Mother's Day!

ps...I'm also ordering a new flex pipe (from headers to mid-car) from Majestic. $360.00. Ouch! Even the no-name ones are about $300. I'm buying Honda, as I don't trust other's quality, and the factory's did last for 20 years.

mykwikcoupe
05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
if you dont overtorque the cv axle nuts and your car isnt excessively lowered causing binding on the side of the bearing it should last forever. Ive never replaced one that has been inside this measure. i also replaced my brothers from his 3gee every 5 months. best I can assume is he was slammed in the dirt and always blowing out axles as well.

w261w261
05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I have only a 1" drop.

lostforawhile
05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
My 89 has 220k on it, and the bearings have been fine. But, my suspension is in pieces on the floor of the garage, and I'm thinking that it would be so easy to just press some new ones in there. The bearings from Honda cost about $75 each with very little labor involved. But I don't want to spend money needlessly. My question is, does anyone know the expected life of these guys? My Explorer needed them at 110k, my Audi at 125k, but these are inferior brands to Honda.

Thx, and remember to call your mother and wish her happy Mother's Day!

ps...I'm also ordering a new flex pipe (from headers to mid-car) from Majestic. $360.00. Ouch! Even the no-name ones are about $300. I'm buying Honda, as I don't trust other's quality, and the factory's did last for 20 years.

the part from the headers to the flex part lasts forever the flexible coupling blows out, take it to a muffler shop and have then cut off and weld on a universal flex coupling. way cheaper then that, the rotted out part can be replaced

lostforawhile
05-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I would replace the bearings while it's out, and the lower ball joint of course, you can get both from summit pretty reasonable, i have the moog lower ball joint. it's not wasting money with those miles on it. also put in some new wheel studs, you can get arp really reasonable, and much better then stock. they get fatiqued over time

w261w261
05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I read a few threads on the studs, and yes I am installing new bearings. One thread suggested just getting a new hub with the studs, but Majestic has that item as discontinued.

I looked at a site to get new ARP studs, and they list a bunch of sizes. I gather ours are press-in. Anyone know the length and thread size? I have an 89 SE-i. Thx.

lostforawhile
05-11-2009, 02:38 AM
I read a few threads on the studs, and yes I am installing new bearings. One thread suggested just getting a new hub with the studs, but Majestic has that item as discontinued.

I looked at a site to get new ARP studs, and they list a bunch of sizes. I gather ours are press-in. Anyone know the length and thread size? I have an 89 SE-i. Thx.
call summit they can look them up by the car