PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof not working.

sawalters21
05-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Bought my 89 Accord LX-i and the sunroof wasn't working. Recently decided to try and fix it, but to no success. I changed the motor with one from a working sunroof, i've checked the fuse, i've changed the relays under the passenger seat twice, changed the sunroof switch. When the switch is flipped to 'open' or 'close' I can hear a clicking sound coming from the relays, so it seems power is going to the relays, but for some reason it's not reaching the sunroof motor. So was just wondering if anyone has a solution to my problem, before i spend a weekend tearing the interior in my car apart (which i really don't want to do). Thanks in advance.

Dr_Snooz
05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure that many of us have sunroofs here. Those who do probably haven't had much trouble with them. The shop manual is here:

http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php

The sunroof troubleshooting section starts on page 25-49. Take some time to work through that and let us know if you get stuck. Otherwise, if you figure it out you can help the next guys.

Bluntman
05-13-2009, 06:06 AM
The wiring in one of the plugs under the seat was rotted in mine, someone had spilled something over the 21 years of the cars life.http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68586

jasonrebellion
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
check the wires going to the motor for continuity....sounds like its maybe broken somewhere

sawalters21
05-14-2009, 06:52 PM
ya, i'm figuring something's wrong with the wires going to the motor. hopefully i'll get around to it this weekend.

sawalters21
05-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Glad to inform you guys I finally got it working. Spent much of the afternoon tracing the wires for the sunroof through out the car. Finally came across the problem. Theres 2 wires that leave the relay (thick green/yellow & thick green/red) that stay together and then there's a group of other wires that go their own seperate way. So a little after the second group of wires leave the relay, they go into a connector where basically the 2 green/black wires coming from the relays become one. So since my car has water leaking problems (which have yet to be fixed and is rotting the passenger side floor) i'm figuring the water corroded the connectors, seeing as one of the wires was corroded out of the connector and the connectors were filled with black and blue gunk. So I just cut off the connectors and wired everything directly and wrapped everything in electro tape. So thanks for all the help.