PDA

View Full Version : Timing adjustments

Tdurr
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Alright, so im wondering what i should set my timing at. I have a 272 cam in the car and stock cam gear. Should i just set it at the stock setting or advance/retard it a few degrees?

Strugglebucket
05-13-2009, 07:02 PM
You could try advancing it to like 17 or 18 degrees (remember to set the timing with the vac advance connected, there's been some confusion about that over the years).

Use high octane gas and don't get into the throttle too much at lower rpms to avoid detonating.

Pico
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm running a 272 and have it advanced 2degrees

2oodoor
05-14-2009, 05:29 AM
I have a way of doing that but it is very hard to explain, I could better show you. It is good to have a starting reference point and then advnace it two deg. at a time until you get detonation. Carefull though there are other things to be aware of because these motors sometimes are difficult to hear when they are slightley pinging. Also you have to decide your favorite driving range and style when you do this because you can lose some top end power with more advance, not something you really need with these though....
You will notice a night and day difference once you hit that sweet spot, promise ya that.

Rendon LX-i
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
mines a 5 degrees

Tdurr
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
You could try advancing it to like 17 or 18 degrees (remember to set the timing with the vac advance connected, there's been some confusion about that over the years).

Use high octane gas and don't get into the throttle too much at lower rpms to avoid detonating.

I run 89 octane and had it avanced all the way for a while and never had pinging so gas is fine ha.

But thanks for the info on leaving the vac advance connected. I disconnected it last times. BTW, how would u kno if you were detonating at all during low rpms?
Ill prob go advance by 2 degree increments till i hit the "sweet spot"

also, i got a FPR should i turn the pressure up or down at all or do the timing then play with the fuel pressure?

Strugglebucket
05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
You can hear detonation if you drive with the window down along side a wall or a guard rail or something. It will sound like a metallic rattling/clacking noise. You can also see if you're getting too much detonation by checking your plugs for little tiny specks.

Even with the engine completely stock, you'll get light detonation if you lug the engine enough. Light detonation isn't really that bad, you just don't want to be getting it all the time.

The fuel pressure should probably be brought up some from stock, just don't go too crazy with it. The problem with trying to get more power out of a fuel injected engine whose ecu you can't tune is that everything is sort of crude and a hacked attempt at getting the most out of WOT without causing problems with normal driveability. You can only push it so far before the tradeoffs aren't worth it.

Tdurr
05-15-2009, 12:38 PM
You can hear detonation if you drive with the window down along side a wall or a guard rail or something. It will sound like a metallic rattling/clacking noise. You can also see if you're getting too much detonation by checking your plugs for little tiny specks.

Even with the engine completely stock, you'll get light detonation if you lug the engine enough. Light detonation isn't really that bad, you just don't want to be getting it all the time.

The fuel pressure should probably be brought up some from stock, just don't go too crazy with it. The problem with trying to get more power out of a fuel injected engine whose ecu you can't tune is that everything is sort of crude and a hacked attempt at getting the most out of WOT without causing problems with normal driveability. You can only push it so far before the tradeoffs aren't worth it.
too loud to hear much beside a wall and my heat sheild rattles so i dono if i would even hear it...

I guess ill just bump the FP up a lil bit and wait till i get obd1 to put it to full use.