PDA

View Full Version : Strut "?" 4 Jim....

87AccordsterLx
09-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Jim, I'm getting ready to put on my Sprints and I was wondering which struts I should go with... originally it was the Tokicos but I may want something a little bit better... what would you recomend as a "step up" from the Tokicos...? I dont want top of the line due to funds for this project, but I do want something that I can run for a while with no complaints...Any Ideas??? Also the site in which I can order them would be great... Thanks Jim!!!
:help: :flash: :help:

Jims 86LXI HB
09-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Well in the front your gonna want to run koni's. The nexts step up from the tokico's would be the Bilsteins, but unless you pay extra to revalve them you'll find yourself wanting even with them. So if you don't want to complain and do it right get the Koni's. They will be about $90 more for the front than the tokico's. $216 from www.tirerack.com or $212 with free shipping from www.shox.com You should be able to get away with running the tokico's in the rear. But don't try and skimp on the front's, you won't be sorry with the Koni's. They're not stiff, their just right firm, no bounce, no bull.

87AccordsterLx
09-30-2002, 02:27 PM
ok cool... so the koni's are $108 ea. from shox.com? I definitly want to do it right... Im still a little unsure about the quality of the sprints that I have... I know that I want a 2-2.5in drop so I fugured that Sprint would be the way to go, but every now and then I hear a complaint about how they bounce... So Tokico's in the rear so should be ok? I just dont want one to be more defensive then the other... the back fender of the 3g is low enough I just wouldnt want a car full to rub the shit ouy of my Kuhmo's.... lol... I care about my tires as much as I do about my car... :)
Thanks Jim.....

AZmike
10-01-2002, 09:27 AM
All springs would bounce without a dampener of some sort. If a car is bouncing, it's because the struts are not providing enough dampening. If anyone says that some brand of springs is bad because they bounce, they need to get stiffer struts, not different springs.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
All springs would bounce without a dampener of some sort. If a car is bouncing, it's because the struts are not providing enough dampening. If anyone says that some brand of springs is bad because they bounce, they need to get stiffer struts, not different springs.

Very very well said, I see so many people blamming the springs or coilover's for the bounce. It has nothing to do with that, just like you say, it's weak struts that lack the dampning power to deal with the stiffer spring that is causing the bounce.

87AccordsterLx
10-01-2002, 02:20 PM
awesome... thanks guys!!!!