PDA

View Full Version : how to find lost timing marks

rbeaud
09-30-2002, 01:30 PM
During a recent clutch replacement, I forgot to insure that the timing marks were on the new (to me) flywheel. How can I re-establish the timing marks on my flywheel so that I can set the timing?

Cheers,

Roland

ACCORD EX
09-30-2002, 01:45 PM
don't about honda's ! but in peogeut cars the flywheel doesn't bolt on wrong ! :)

MIKE

Dutchboy
09-30-2002, 06:10 PM
whats the "new" mean....the marks should be on there no matter what...:confused:

other wise guess....heheh...or dont screw with the timing....if you havent before it shouldnt need a retime....

Ben

POS carb
09-30-2002, 06:48 PM
the flywheel should be keyed to only go on in one position... Honda thought of that one already :)

PhydeauX
09-30-2002, 07:19 PM
The marks should be etched into the side of the flywheel. Lightly sanding off the corosion should find them. Mark them wiht some paint or grease pencil or some thing to make them easuer to see when you go to set the timing.

andy

rbeaud
10-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
The marks should be etched into the side of the flywheel. Lightly sanding off the corosion should find them. Mark them wiht some paint or grease pencil or some thing to make them easuer to see when you go to set the timing.

andy

Ok, I'll have to look and mark them. Will they be visible in when the engine is at TDC?

Cheers,

Roland

89lxi95zx7
10-01-2002, 10:37 AM
use whiteout on mark-timing gun picks it up better

smufguy
10-01-2002, 10:45 AM
they should be visible with the ur car in TDC. if not, sand off the part like andy said.

anchovies
10-01-2002, 07:14 PM
yeah you should be able to see it at TDC.
I couldn't find it with a timing gun but it's there alrite

jteuton
10-03-2002, 10:29 AM
haha the aluminum flywheel has no marks......i just keep turning the distributor until I hear ping under acceleration.

ACCORD EX
10-04-2002, 01:45 AM
man piniging means wrong ignition timing ! not wrong crank timing ! sure you have got the right crank timing now because you didn't mess with your timing belt ! but when you change your timing belt it will be very difficult ! you can mark the new flywheel just set the cam at TDC and make a mark through the tranny hole !
:) or you can do it at the next timing belt change but remember to mark it before removing the belt ! :)

MIKE