PDA

View Full Version : quick ratio steering rack?

paul
05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Considering autocrossing the accord, looking for a quick ratio steering rack if one exists (< 2.3 turns lock to lock). I woudn't mind going to full manual steering if that's the only option...

ghettogeddy
05-18-2009, 02:17 PM
nether

yo might be able to source a full manual from canada but happy hunting

MessyHonda
05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
doesnt the manual rack take more turns.

you would be surprised what a 350mm steering wheel will do to these cars....i remember chesseburger said its a more responsive

2ndGenGuy
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah the manual racks are usually more turns lock to lock to make it easier on your arms.

paul
05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Good idea regarding the smaller diameter steering wheel, I'll definitely check out the options...

Vanilla Sky
05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I guess my post didn't go in.

Depower your current power rack. You'll get the feel and the same ratio, and you won't have the drag and the problems of an old power steering system. I plan on trying this, as the rack in my car is leaking and has been bypassed already.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php

I know it's for a Miata, but it's a very similar rack to the one we have in our cars.

markmdz89hatch
05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Paul, where in NY are you?

If you were to go with a smaller wheel, just remember that the effort needed to turn the wheel will be that much greater. The stock ratio of the power rack seems very fitting of the car. A slightly smaller wheel might work, but as mentioned, be careful with how much smaller.

paul
05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I definitely woudn't mind the increased effort from a smaller diameter wheel, checking out some brands as I type...

markmdz89hatch
05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
where in NY are you? What clubs do you auto-x with?

paul
05-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm from suffolk county, long island...
I do events with the scca, bmw club, and metro ny porsche club of america.

I've seen clips of the englishtown nj courses/track suface though, and definitely have to show up for at least one event this year, looks amazing compaired to the crap nassau coliseum lot where most of the NY events are held.