PDA

View Full Version : Rust spots

Rolin' Stock
05-19-2009, 07:34 PM
well my 88 4 door dx accord is in very good condition...for everything but the radio being factory....the only problems are it looks like the previous owner took a hammer to the trunk lid...and there is a small rust spot on the rear left fender...so 2 questions...how do you pop very small dents inexpensively and whats the easyest way to repair rust damage.

Tomisimo
05-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Small dents? from behind, but it depends on how much room you have to place a tool back there, in some cases you need special tools. or the easiest way is to find another like accord with no dent in same color at the junk yard and replace it. As for the rust, sand it down the spot to bare metal and zinc primer it first, than use bondou to even all out, sand it down and respray on top with primer and paint on top. you can find paint code under the hood or at drivers side door sticker. and use it to mix correct color at body shop for you. I know there is some places they can press desired color in to a sprayken. and you find clear cote at any autozone store to use it on top.

ok. to hide that spot from the rest of the car, so you dont see that it was painted or that spot, you outline that spot with 3M mask tape first, make sure you overspray some of original paint, than build an wall from masking tape around that spot at slight angle inwards, than start painting, 2-3 cotes, and clear on top. remove masking tape and polish it with polish paste. youll never know the difference because that wall made even transfer from fresh paint to original, and after polish you even out that spot with rest of the paint..

Well hope this helps.. good luck :)

Rolin' Stock
05-20-2009, 02:48 PM
well here is some pictures of the rust spots...they are both on the same fender

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/686/dscf0112r.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6762/dscf0113g.jpg

Tomisimo
05-20-2009, 03:14 PM
K, on second pic I see poor body work, It looks like the car were fixed before because I see some bondo bobling there. your best shot is to replace it, or you have to have some skills in welding, because if I judge from first pic, you have a hole there. and dont see how extensive the damage really is, inner fender? looked there? there is an option to fiberglass it but it might fukup your looks, and often its no point to cover it on face side, you still will have rust on the back side and its censer delux. it will begin to rust again.

Rolin' Stock
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
is there any way i can visit a junkyard and get a fender...and if so how would you go about removing said rust and or holey fender???

itzdave
05-20-2009, 03:58 PM
the rear of the car doesn't have fenders, they are called quarter panels. and from the looks of it, if ur not too familiar with bondo or fiberglass work, id take it to a pro...

itzdave
05-20-2009, 03:58 PM
they arent swappable

Civic Accord Honda
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
to properly fix it you would need to sand it down to bare metal, cut out the rusted spot, and weld in new sheet metal. common problem on all hondas. cheapest fix is to sand it down to bare metal, and patch the hole with fiberglass then repaint it, do not use bondo!!

Rolin' Stock
05-20-2009, 04:56 PM
well the bondo wasnt me...me nd me gdady got the car in this condition...and i dont see any seems cept 4 around the trund area...the bar goes strait up beside the back window into the roof.

Hazwan
05-20-2009, 05:02 PM
to properly fix it you would need to sand it down to bare metal, cut out the rusted spot, and weld in new sheet metal. common problem on all hondas. cheapest fix is to sand it down to bare metal, and patch the hole with fiberglass then repaint it, do not use bondo!!

wow. are you the same CAH we used to know?

Rolin' Stock
05-20-2009, 05:04 PM
i inspected and the hole from the first picture isnt all the way through...but would it be best to get it done profesionaly???

2ndGenGuy
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM

A wise man learns from experience and mistakes. CAH, I have a feeling, may be a wiser man than he is given credit for.

Hazwan
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Haha CAH, dont take that the wrong way, I was saying that you've changed a lot:)

Tomisimo
05-21-2009, 02:25 AM
i inspected and the hole from the first picture isnt all the way through...but would it be best to get it done profesionaly???

Yes!! If you determined to have this car as a good example than yes, you can find rear quarter panel for 90USD on eBay. here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-4dr-Accord-86-87-88-89-Rear-Fender-Panel-STEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3 a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293 Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZit em19af8ff2deQQitemZ110319629022QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5 fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories) I found it for you :)
This job is relatively simple, but maybe its just me, you see I have the same problem on my car, those who fixed my car before have just bondo it and resprayed over. Some day soon I will be replacing those and will made a howto for it.

carotman
05-21-2009, 09:27 AM
There's no bondo on that car guys. The bubbling is just that it rusted from the inside out.

Beleive me... I live in Quebec,Canada, I know what rust is.

We already have some Mazda 3 that have similar bubbling here.

mushroom_toy
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
they arent swappable

Actually they are. They sell quarter panel cuts for our cars. But of course not bolton swappable. Cutting and welding is required. :)

88Lxi Guy
05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I do body work the best things for small dents is a stud puller. then grind the stud down and use a little body filler. and for the rust the quarter panels come in a inner and outer shell. buy a outer shell peace from Honda or get some light gauge aluminum cutt mold and weld. but be sure to cut straight lines and not angles. and leave about 1/4 of a inch overhang to be trimmed before welding. and a new trunk is a good option. to prevent rust on the other side drill 4 small holes around the inner wheel well for better tatter drainage.

itzdave
05-21-2009, 02:45 PM
i meant, they arent easily swappable...

Civic Accord Honda
05-21-2009, 07:46 PM

A wise man learns from experience and mistakes. CAH, I have a feeling, may be a wiser man than he is given credit for.

Haha CAH, dont take that the wrong way, I was saying that you've changed a lot:)

:cheers:

Rolin' Stock
05-22-2009, 05:40 PM
what would happen if i just left the rust there...cause im kinda out of funds for...well...anything

Hazwan
05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
what would happen if i just left the rust there...cause im kinda out of funds for...well...anything

They will spread out and get even worse. Best you can do right now is to treat it with anti rust paint and the like as temporary measure.

Rolin' Stock
05-22-2009, 07:03 PM
ummmm....whats that site you can go to to get your care sponsers???? that would be awsome cause i need some more miner body work don and i want to get it repainted.