PDA

View Full Version : stereo is not loud enough

shepherd79
09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
ok,
here is what i have:
HU: alpine cdm-7871
speakers: alpine 2 ways all around.
sub: alpine type S 1240 model. single 4ohm coil.
amps: alpine mrp-f200 4 channel 40wx4
alpine mrp-m200 150wx1 into 4ohm.

so here is the problem. i don't think it is loud enough. all my friends think i am crazy. they say they can hear me like block away.
the stereo is worth more than my car right now.
so what do you think i can do to it to make it louder.
i am thinking getting another sub.
what else should i start looking into?
please help?
thanks guys.

89AccordNate
09-30-2002, 02:33 PM
Get your ears checked, I think you slowly made yourself go deaf with your new stereo, so now you think its not loud, when it really is.

Nate.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Can You hear me Now? How loud do u want it to be!! It's not an SUV!! Sound Can only travel so far inside an Accord!

luis1578
09-30-2002, 03:03 PM
which way is the face of the sub? sometimes it sounds louder if the face of the box is facing towards the back of the trunk. Also did you try bringing up the levels of the amp.

Microstreak
09-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Seriously, do yourself a favor, keep the music really low, like a grandmother. Trust me, i did this after i thought my system was dying on me in my old car. when i blasted it up after about a week of lissening to it at a low volume, i noticed that it was MY ears and not MY system. Your ears adjust to the amount of input they recieve. So if you don't listen to loud music, or don't live in a city, your more likely to hear much better and further than one of us. jus my 2 cents

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-30-2002, 06:41 PM
kewl!! where in ny?

Originally posted by Microstreak
Seriously, do yourself a favor, keep the music really low, like a grandmother. Trust me, i did this after i thought my system was dying on me in my old car. when i blasted it up after about a week of lissening to it at a low volume, i noticed that it was MY ears and not MY system. Your ears adjust to the amount of input they recieve. So if you don't listen to loud music, or don't live in a city, your more likely to hear much better and further than one of us. jus my 2 cents

shepherd79
09-30-2002, 06:45 PM
well,
the sub is facing away from the back seat, towards the trunk lid.
i am not messing with my gain settings. they were twicked by local stereo shop.
i am thinking may be 2 way or 3 way components in the front doors and 2 way components on the back.
bridge the 4 channel amp to run the front and get another one to run the back.
what do you think?

Kemperz
10-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Ok if you really just want chest crunching sound, do what I did, I checked out a bunch of subs and settled on two 10 inch kicker comps. I couldn't believe the sound I got outta them. I can make them hurt me. I turned them way up one night comin towards my buddies house and suddenly, my front windsheild cracked right down the left side. I got a new one, but really the kicker comps just absolutley POUND!

87AccordsterLx
10-03-2002, 01:15 PM
LOL.... I would really like to know what kind of amp that you're using to push those kickers... OK... Alex... Are you saying that you dont hear enough treble or enough bass??? Its not just your sub man... its your amp too... If you want more bass then just buy a good Fosgate or a JL Audio... memphis even if you have the $$$$.... go for a 500x2 and bridge that shit... get a pioneer IMPP 600w 12" sub and your set... also... are you using that mrp-f200 4 channel for your highs??? Its a 40x4w and your deck is a 45x4w...you could push more with your HU... If its the highs that you think arent loud enough...then like I said earlier..get a better amp... a 300x4 watt amp for the highs will be waaayyy more then enough... My alpine cda-7893 is pushing 60x4 and its more then I need.. if you got a 300w amp you would be pushing 75x4w...

shepherd79
10-04-2002, 04:36 AM
well, with two subs i am gonna have pleanty bass for me.
i get good emount of high, but when it comes to mids, i think i am lucking on them.

87AccordsterLx
10-04-2002, 08:01 PM
what size of speakers are your alpine 2 ways??? also are you using that 4 way amp for your highs???

shepherd79
10-05-2002, 04:01 AM
i am running this speakers right now in the front and back. it is all i could afford than. http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=SPS-1729S&p_category=80&p_subcategory=100&p_main=10

this is my 4 channel amp http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=MRP-F200&p_category=40&p_subcategory=120&p_main=10
the amp is set at HP, manual says it cuts everything below 80hz.

i am have been thinking about this speakers for a long time http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=SPR-176A&p_category=80&p_subcategory=90&p_main=10

Nathan, what would you recoment for me?
oh yeah, i like to stay with all alpine, yeah i know it will him me hard on cash but it is ok.

87AccordsterLx
10-05-2002, 09:22 PM
well... you definitly are ok with the wattage that you have running your highs.. 75x4 is perfect.. now.. i can somewhat see what you mean by not fealing the mids with those 6 1/4in 2ways... the componets will definitly help with the mids.. the sad part is ... the speakers that you have now are very nice... what I would do if I were you is.. I know that you said that you dont want to mess with the amp settings becasue the audio shop tweeked it or whatever.. but honestly.. not all audio shops are familiar with every product.. not only that.. they could have set it to what "they" thought was a good sound feedback... I sugjest that you first go to your amp (the 4way one) and see if the Bass Boost is set to on. also if you have a sterio/mono switch that it is set to sterio. then go to your head unit and see what you have your bass settings at... many times if the bass is set to zero you wont get any feedback from your speakers and only from your subs. (cont. in next post)

87AccordsterLx
10-05-2002, 09:22 PM
I have my Alpine H/U set to Bass=3 and Treble = 5 ... one of the main differences between us though is that I custom cut holes for 6x9's inbetween the 6's on the back deck... I have a fosgate 100x2 punch rated 140w on them and I get great mids off of that... If you cant tweek your electronics to get better mids then I sugjest that you only buy the component set for the front.... I have one one in the front only and my 6x9's in the back with the 2way 6's... It balences out great... but Im sure that if you put it in the front that you wont even need it in the back... I remember when I went to see my friends car sterio setup... he had just gotten it back from Circut City... He told them to wire 1 of his 2 amps to the 6x9's for the highs on his rear deck... well they bridged it mono... Why would you want a mono setup for the highs much less having it bridged?? So check it out and post on what you find out.... If you need any help tweeking it let me know....

shepherd79
10-06-2002, 07:45 AM
thanks Nathan.
i will try it right now.

shepherd79
10-06-2002, 07:59 AM
man, i turned my bass by like +2 and trible by +4 and it shounds sooo much better.
i have cdm-7871 and it has this feature where you can select the bass frequency, i am set at 100hz. and my amp for the sub set at 80hz. plus on bass selection you can select how wide you want the bass, what do they mean wide or narrow bass?

dXsquared
10-06-2002, 08:41 AM
i dunno. but having a bunch of features on ur head unit is sweet. just fiddle with the settings until you find what you like.
my deck is a Kenwood Excelon X617 and it has a ton of features like:
speaker selection(6by9/6.25) (5.25) (OEM)
Sub Selection: 1 12'' 1 10'' 2 12'' 2 10'' 3 and 4 10 or 12 or 8 inch.
frequencys of high low and mids
sub frequency
sub volume
button color change
bal and fade
i dunno but i think this deck is the bomb!
Travis

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 09:55 PM
ok I got this one down as well because I have the same features... the narrow/wide setting will basically control how far or close the frequency will stray away from the frequency that you have set for highs/lows... you said 100 and 80... so basically you have two sets of frequency controlls... this may get confuseing but I'll try my best... ok... in the x-over function... you set the max high frequency (160hz being the highest I think) lowest is like 80 and then you have Flat on either .. flat is no limit.. if you have the LPF on flat then any high frequency will come in.. if you have it on 160 then it blocks out anything higher then 160... same with the LPF I have mine at 80.. there for you have a frequency band of 80-160hz... now you have bass and treble settings...in there you can set the frequency that you want to be the center frequency for your lows or highs... for example... if you put the bass one on 80 and the width on zero... then all of your bass will be sounding at 80hz..

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 09:55 PM
if you set the width at 3 then you'll get the base frequency anywhere from lets say 50-110hz... 30hz on either side of the 80... it basically tunes the bass to those levels... the same is with the treble... I have mine set at 150 or something.. cant remember.. but if I put it higher then the treble would have a higher pitch to it.. I have both of my widths at like 2 or 3 or something... its refered to as the bass/treble center frequency... you have to play with it ... I really glad that the tweaking worked for you... I had a feeling that you were running your settings at zero... I never trust Audio shops to do anything but run wires... So... now your hearing exactly what your system should be sounding like... congrats man... I know its an exciting thing... if you have any questions at all about the features of your alpine just post them... Here is my H/U if you want to check it out...
http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_main=10&p_category=10&p_item_name=CDA-7893