PDA

View Full Version : auto trans shifter

import racer
05-22-2009, 04:03 PM
just tried to move my car to work on it today.adn when i started it it wouldn't come out of park.the only way i could get it out of gear was to use the key in the shifter release.any ideas whats wrong,is the shifter out of adjustment or what.

1987AccordLx-i
05-29-2009, 08:12 AM
just tried to move my car to work on it today.adn when i started it it wouldn't come out of park.the only way i could get it out of gear was to use the key in the shifter release.any ideas whats wrong,is the shifter out of adjustment or what.

wow thats new for me.. well from what i see in newer cars nowdays is that they have a servo that unlocks the shifter when the brake is pressed.. possibly that servo has burnt out man.. sorry i couldnt be more help

import racer
05-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks,when i had things out of car i put the 5-speed ecu in .don't know if thats it or not.the rear calipers are off so i can't push the brake pedal w/o loosing fluids so not sure.

2oodoor
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
you have a coupe? I dint think these had electronic shift lock.

LX-incredible
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
All 89s had the shift lock. I'm pretty sure that you need to have the brake depressed to unlock...

import racer
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
mine is a sedan but i think i have to fix the brakes first.

DBMaster
05-30-2009, 07:42 AM
I have an 89 coupe and it definitely has the shift lock. When the car is running and you step on the brake you should hear a noticeable "click" from the area under the shift lever. If you don't it could be an issue in the brake light switch (which is connected to the shift lock and cruise control), the lock solenoid, or wiring. The easiest and cheapest thing to try first is the brake light switch.

1987AccordLx-i
06-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks,when i had things out of car i put the 5-speed ecu in .don't know if thats it or not.the rear calipers are off so i can't push the brake pedal w/o loosing fluids so not sure.

you put the 5spd ecu? hmm.. it could contribute to the problem... can anyone confirm this?

import racer
06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Got the back brakes hooked up now i can push the brake pedal and now the shifter moves.

jdmca6
06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
gotta press the brakes man.
just do it slightly and it will unlock
wen i press mine the lock is kinda loud haha
auto ftw!

ecogabriel
07-01-2009, 05:10 AM
I don't think replacing the ECU is part of the problem. For one, the auto tranny is not electronically-controlled.... unless the ECU has something to do with the servo mechanism (which I do not know)
There is a service manual for 89s in one of the threads here; it is Snooz's manual. Look for it (it is for US models)

carotman
07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
The shift lock solenoid is actuated by the brake light switch.

Is your horn working?