PDA

View Full Version : Weber carb on 89lx auto?

tyler125yz
05-23-2009, 12:40 AM
I am new here and dont know much about carbs, so please forgive me if I sound stupid, but I was looking into doing a weber swap on my 89 lx with an automatic transmission, but I can only find an adapter plate for a manual? Could I use this one or is there somehow if I bought it I could get it to work? And if not, is it worth replaceing the stock carb or should I just find an lx-i? Thanks in advance.

Civic Accord Honda
05-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't believe there is a difference in the adapters .. However I cannot guarantee it ill let someone else chime in with that information as i know there are a few peps on here with automatics and webers, .. But yeah its definitely worth the upgrade!!

tyler125yz
05-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Good to know that it is at least possible...and worthwhile

2oodoor
05-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Good to know that it is at least possible...and worthwhile

Yes and YES
The thing about that spec is some systems (auto tx) use a TV (transmission throttle valve cable) attached at the throttle linkage area around the oem carb, and others (most desirable) have it attached at the gas pedal iarea nside the car.By all means if you have the upper one, go to the Junkyard and get the other style , whole assembly. Most are the pedal type though. The Weber people covered a blanket application spec by saying manual only. Saves footnotes and catalog space I reckon.
Once the weber is installed you will need to adjust the TV cable down at the tranny to accomodate the difference in geometry with the webers "charactor" , of course there is a better way to explain that. The weber requires less thottle opening to get power from the motor and throttle opening determines shift points via the TV cable.

That said, an interesting note is that fine awareness of the transmissions behavior reveals that somethng as simple as a dirty air filter can affect shift points and quality.

MessyHonda
05-23-2009, 10:18 AM
roodoo for the save....i bet the weber is one of the best swaps for a carbed 3gee

mephi
05-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Do the Weber. Best thing I ever put in my car. Now I just need a new motor. And tranny input bearings.

Seriously, the thing is amazing.

tyler125yz
05-23-2009, 10:59 PM
awesome thanks for the help also is there any guides on here or elsewere to help with the installation and what to do with all the vaccume sh**? Thanks again.

itzdave
05-24-2009, 12:56 PM
the weber 38/38 and the delta 272 were my best goodies!