PDA

View Full Version : Chillphillyphil saying hi!

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone! I just wanted to take a minute and say hi. I'm soon going to be the proud owner of an 89 accord lxi sedan. My 95' s10 caught on fire :rant:, so I'm giving the import scene a try. I also use to own a 96' camaro lt1 (first car) - so I've gotten the need for speed out of my system early. Just hoping this honda will be low maintenance, and economical.

The car will be mine in a few weeks (payments) and seems to be a steal for 900 bucks. 169k on motor which isn't bad, all she needs is some brakes (pads & rotors). I'll post some pictures soon.

Anyone know where I can get some good cheap rotors and pads for the front of my lxi? Cheapest I've found was $55. Also looking for some cheap wheels that will fit the stock tires - lemme know! :rockon:

86ccord
05-23-2009, 01:03 PM
welcome aboard yo! hope you enjoy your stay.. and def. 900 is a steal.. congrats

Pico
05-23-2009, 01:08 PM
:welcome:
post plenty of pics when you get the car.
for cheap rotors and pads try ebay. they wont be the best in the world but the price is right if your on a budget.

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 01:11 PM
welcome aboard yo! hope you enjoy your stay.. and def. 900 is a steal.. congrats

86ccord - thanks! I've been on the forum looking around and I think your accord is one of my fav's - very clean love the blue. :thumbup:

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
:welcome:
post plenty of pics when you get the car.
for cheap rotors and pads try ebay. they wont be the best in the world but the price is right if your on a budget.

Pico - thanks! sw33t ride too btw. I'll defiantly take some pics soon. The car is sitting next door at my neighbor's house and i already have the key! (hrmmm....)

Oh how much did that strut-bar and intake run you?

Civic Accord Honda
05-23-2009, 01:24 PM
:welcome: , you can get brembo blanks on tire rack for $45.. best rotors and price imo.. also you can get some good deals on pads at tire rack

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 01:32 PM
:welcome: , you can get brembo blanks on tire rack for $45.. best rotors and price imo.. also you can get some good deals on pads at tire rack

Civic Accord Honda - good call, thanks. I like having name brand parts when it comes to the brake system. BTW nice clean civic.

Pico
05-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Pico - thanks! sw33t ride too btw. I'll defiantly take some pics soon. The car is sitting next door at my neighbor's house and i already have the key! (hrmmm....)

Oh how much did that strut-bar and intake run you?

thanks.
the intake is off a 6th Accord and I got it off ebay for 60.00.
the bar is a discontinued DC Bar. I beleive theres one for sale in the trading post, they usually go for 150.00 and up since they are rare to find.

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
:thumbup: thanks for the heads up!

ghettogeddy
05-23-2009, 04:31 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Accord+Hatchback&autoYear=1987&autoModClar=

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/__89-accord-rotors_W0QQQ5ftrkparmsZ72Q253A1205Q257C65Q253A12Q2 57C39Q253A1QQ_ipgZ200QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em245QQ _sopZ3QQ_scZ1

some packages include pads as well!

ghettogeddy
05-23-2009, 05:09 PM
some of those arent bad price but you get what you pay for on ebay lol

i got my brembo blanks and aem pads on had on my old lx from buybrakes.com

Civic Accord Honda
05-23-2009, 05:30 PM
i would stay away from no name ebay stuff.. my civic had cheap autozone crap put on it and within 3k miles they were warped to hell

chillphillyphil
05-23-2009, 07:56 PM
hrmmmm..... these are good points - appreciate it. It's a constant struggle being a cheap ass - haha.

86ccord
05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
86ccord - thanks! I've been on the forum looking around and I think your accord is one of my fav's - very clean love the blue. :thumbup:

thanks you sir! wait till i get my wheels on.. :devil:

thread: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64170&highlight=86ccord+update

but try getting brakes from EBC brakes.. just google EBC brake and you should find them.. :D

MessyHonda
05-25-2009, 07:49 AM
yeah make sure to blead the lines too with fresh fluid

jasonrebellion
05-25-2009, 11:14 AM
i just replaced my pads and rotors for about 60 bucks from autozone....i would suggest getting an impact driver to removed the phillips head screws. i got tired of em and drilled into them and used a screw extractor to unscrew them....you don't really have to replace them....but if you do, you can get some replacements at lowes they're an m6 1.0 x 16. its also the oval head one too....the head is slightly smaller so it still fits in flush....i paid 2 bucks for em.

chillphillyphil
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
yeah make sure to blead the lines too with fresh fluid

Absolutely! Thanks!!

i just replaced my pads and rotors for about 60 bucks from autozone....i would suggest getting an impact driver to removed the phillips head screws. i got tired of em and drilled into them and used a screw extractor to unscrew them....you don't really have to replace them....but if you do, you can get some replacements at lowes they're an m6 1.0 x 16. its also the oval head one too....the head is slightly smaller so it still fits in flush....i paid 2 bucks for em.

Great pointers! I want to replace as much hardware when i'm in there. Autozone seems to be who I'm comparing everything to - so i'm going with Autozone ;-p makes sense - put'em to the test.

jasonrebellion
05-25-2009, 06:29 PM
i managed to get one the first screw off by putting a screwdriver in it and beating with a hammer to loosen the threads, then used channel locks and the screwdriver to remove it, but the rest wouldn't. you don't really need them because the wheel lug nuts hold the rotor on. I'm rollin with 3 screws since i fucked the threads up on the first after i drilled it out.