PDA

View Full Version : B-Series swaps and axles

88LXi68
05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I have a b-series swapped accord w/ the place racing mounts and axles. 2 years ago my driver side axle inner tripod came loose and mashed up the circlips and bearings. So, I sent the axle to the Driveshaft Shop and they rebuilt the inner part.

Fast forward to this weekend...I went to get an alignment and was about to pull away from the shop when the car just didn't want to move. Went through all the gears and they were fine, clutch was fine. Passenger axle was fine, but the driver side outer joint was all messed up. The shaft and the outboard part of the axle were spinning independently from each other.

ANYWAY...I needed an axle ASAP (I will send my axle out to be repaired and duplicated)

I looked at several threads on here concerning b-series axles
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49200&highlight=series+axles&page=6

Seemed like no on really had an idea on what to use on the driver side without modifying it in some way to fit i.e. 86-89 accord passenger shaft and outboard w/ integra inboard. On the passenger side it seems like an 86-89 Integra passenger axle w/o the dustring in the hub will work.

Legendmaster & accordtheory tried 90-93 integra driver sides and 86-89 integra driver sides without much luck as they are much too short. I almost gave up when I saw this thread...
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36696&highlight=series+axles

It dawned on me...88-91 preludes have an intermediate shaft therefore the driver side axle is fully splined. Looked at Napa and the length of the driver side was close to the length of an accord passenger. It is a little shorter than my PRI Axle, but longer than the integras and is readily available and will hold me over so I can send my axle to get fixed.

Cliff notes:
88-91 Prelude driver side axle works with a b-swap in the Accord

SQ is the SQUAD
05-27-2009, 05:25 AM
nice!

when my mounts finally get here ill try out the 91 pre;lude drivers side with the 89 integra passenger side without either dust rings

carotman
05-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I used an 86-89 Accord axle on the left side with an 88-91 Prelude inboard joint(to have the full splines).

I don't know if the B20A is placed in the same position as you B series swap but when I tried the full 88-91 Prelude axle, it felt like it was a bit on the short side.

88LXi68
05-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I used an 86-89 Accord axle on the left side with an 88-91 Prelude inboard joint(to have the full splines).

I don't know if the B20A is placed in the same position as you B series swap but when I tried the full 88-91 Prelude axle, it felt like it was a bit on the short side.

It is a little shorter than the accord passenger side, but longer than the integra ones that were used previously by others.

I believe the accord passenger side was 24 3/8 and the prelude driver side was 24 5/16.

probably the best setup would be an accord passenger side axle with either the fully splined integra or prelude inner joint.

I did not want to start buying axles and taking them apart so that is why I went with just the prelude axle especially since this is a temporary fix.