PDA

View Full Version : ignition/radio cut off problems

88accordlxcarb
05-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Hello All,

When i turn my car off, the radio sometimes stays on. The issue is in the ignition. When i wiggle the key in the key hole, the radio will cut off. The problem seems to be if i accidentally turn the key TOO far off, the radio stays on, if i jiggle the key clockwise just a hair, it will turn off. Something in the OFF position seems to be loose(old age?) and the contacts are not keeping it off.

I have sprayed the inside of the key hole with several types of electronic cleaner/degreasers, hoping something was sticking, but its a no go.

Am i going to have to replace the ignition, or is there something i can tighten to stop the power from staying on?

Thanks!

Civic Accord Honda
05-24-2009, 02:39 PM
sounds like its time to replace it... my civics has very similar problems .. i just ignore it :lol:

88accordlxcarb
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Are we talking about this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=12482_0_1927_&skuDescription=Lockworks+/+Lock+-+Ignition+(Cylinder+%26+Keys)&brandName=Lockworks&displayName=Lock+-+Ignition+(Cylinder+%26+Keys)&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=903&isSearchByPartNumber=&fromWhere=&fromString=&itemId=prod61706&navValue=16200190&filterByKeyWord=&productId=12482&appQuestionText=&searchText=&categoryDisplayName=Ignition+(Tune+Up)&parentId=cat30070&questions=[]

the cylinder?

Tdurr
05-24-2009, 05:48 PM
^^ thats wut you need to be replaced. I would see about getting the new one cut to fit the current key tho.
btw my car does the same, I just turn the radio off or take the faceplate off haha.

Hauntd ca3
05-25-2009, 01:21 AM
i doubt its the key side of the ign switch, but would say the switch itself is a bit tired.
they are not hard to replace and the steelership will be able to get one pretty quickly.
remove the trim from the steering column and if you follow the line of the key straight thru the column you will find the switch with all the wires coming off it.
there will be 2 or 3 screws holding it on.
remove those, then just disconnect tthe plug at the end of the loom and reverse the procedure with the new switch

Civic Accord Honda
05-25-2009, 01:57 AM
well i know on my civic its the key part.. i can pull the key out at any spot and even use a house a key :lol:

88accordlxcarb
05-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I think i am going to replace both to be safe.

Could this be the cause of my car intermittently not starting when hot? For example, i will have been driving it all day, and turn it off at a store, come back and it will not start. It will start after a few hours of sitting. Already checked coil, distributor, vapor lock, carb in general, fuel relay, etc...

Thanks!

Hauntd ca3
05-27-2009, 01:01 AM
that hot start prob sounds like a main relay fault if you were efi.

AccordB20A
05-27-2009, 01:18 AM
i have a problem with my wipers, sometimes they do not work at all and other times they work with the key off :s

Hauntd ca3
05-27-2009, 01:56 AM
replace the switch assembly arron and try that.
you should have the odd one or two floating round