PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Rebuild with Goodies.

mushroom_toy
05-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Alrigtht so i thnk my hg is leaking and I will try to confirm that tomorrow....right now IM just saying fuck it, I guess im gonna take my paint money and rebuild. I just wanted to know what everyone thought was a good rebuild kit, I found one listed as a performance rebuild kit under the brand name of Topline, yall think its good. Im probably gonna go .20 over with whatever kit I have. The goal is to be boosted by next year maybe.

Heres what im looking at right now:

Full rebuild kit .20 over
Miata ARP headstuds
272 cam
Prelude dual intake springs
5 speed swap
Possible b16a intake manifold but dont know might stick with stock
Some kind of adjustable cam gear
Gonna do some portmatching and possible head port and polish
Possible obd1 swap

Anything anyone else would add to the list, I have $1200 to play with but realistically I like to only spend about half of that right now. The goal is to be boosted later on after break in running 6-8lbs daily and 12-15 high possible doing 12 daily depending on how far I go into the motor. Just want something healthy that will take an honest 8-12psi daily pretty much or hold more. Maybe I should rebuild to hold a possible 20psi?

EDIT: also whats the deal with the different sized bearing in the rebuild kits?

Civic Accord Honda
05-24-2009, 06:46 PM
if ur planing on boosting mind as well swap to obd1 well your at it ^_^

mushroom_toy
05-24-2009, 06:49 PM
thats possible too.

Tdurr
05-24-2009, 11:03 PM
ha. soo much help lol. list is good, make sure ur new HG is OEM honda, Felpro, or a copper one. Someone on here ran a insane amount of boost on a oem honda HG.
also, i would search topline on H-T or google.

86ccord
05-25-2009, 06:00 AM
good luck to you sir..

or you could spend 350.00 on mounts then call rising sun engines and spend 1100 dollars on a b series motor.. and wham-0 your good! lol

mushroom_toy
05-25-2009, 10:25 AM
good luck to you sir..

or you could spend 350.00 on mounts then call rising sun engines and spend 1100 dollars on a b series motor.. and wham-0 your good! lol

Thats waaaaay too much money for a stockish setup. No offense, but Id rather have a dependable a20 then turbo a little later on. :)

2oodoor
05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I may be able to source some of that for you, Im getting a 2nd gen lude and will have an extra set of parts.
You should DL or read the factory Honda shop manual about those bearing sizes. Pretty wild stuff... colorcoded. You may need to cross reference those codes to tolerance specs somehow. Seems like C ref guide was posted here somewhere once too.

great thread as most of yours always are :cool:

mushroom_toy
05-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I may be able to source some of that for you, Im getting a 2nd gen lude and will have an extra set of parts.
You should DL or read the factory Honda shop manual about those bearing sizes. Pretty wild stuff... colorcoded. You may need to cross reference those codes to tolerance specs somehow. Seems like C ref guide was posted here somewhere once too.

great thread as most of yours always are :cool:

Lol. XD Yeah def. let me know esp if you have the dual springs you want to get rid of let me know a price.

Yeah as far as the bearing go, im not thinking of letting the machine shop that does my porting and such install em...hmm.

86ccord
05-25-2009, 06:27 PM
lol im just kidding..

oh and btw.. im getting a new car so i can tear the 3g apart...

mushroom_toy
05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
^Nice.

Rendon LX-i
05-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Alrigtht so i thnk my hg is leaking and I will try to confirm that tomorrow....right now IM just saying fuck it, I guess im gonna take my paint money and rebuild. I just wanted to know what everyone thought was a good rebuild kit, I found one listed as a performance rebuild kit under the brand name of Topline, yall think its good. Im probably gonna go .20 over with whatever kit I have. The goal is to be boosted by next year maybe.

Heres what im looking at right now:

Full rebuild kit .20 over
Miata ARP headstuds
272 cam
Prelude dual intake springs
5 speed swap
Possible b16a intake manifold but dont know might stick with stock
Some kind of adjustable cam gear
Gonna do some portmatching and possible head port and polish
Possible obd1 swap

Anything anyone else would add to the list, I have $1200 to play with but realistically I like to only spend about half of that right now. The goal is to be boosted later on after break in running 6-8lbs daily and 12-15 high possible doing 12 daily depending on how far I go into the motor. Just want something healthy that will take an honest 8-12psi daily pretty much or hold more. Maybe I should rebuild to hold a possible 20psi?

EDIT: also whats the deal with the different sized bearing in the rebuild kits?

What kind of pistons and rods your going to use. I wouldnt recommend stock bro....Thats just me..12psi is HARSH on stock pistons....Might as well get Bisi duals instead of the lude springs.. with a stock setup i would only hit 10 Realistically. To boost 12 and higher...rods and pistons are needed. thats the main factor when boosting. But other then that seems legit...Damn i wish my shit was that cheap to build....my build going to be around 3,000 easy.. That and i want a fast ass a20. LOL.

I would get a 272 intake/ 260 exhuast like Bobafett... the 272 works nice but ill prolly get more power with the 272/260.... AND intake manifold...Youll be better off with the b16 mani...boost well flow alot better...top end meaning.

Get obd1 bro...the safc,btm, is ight...i rather see a legit setup and later on then seening a rod on the floor LOL...im suprised my tunning worked great..then i had a buddy do some fine touchs...

Sorry for writing a big ass story..LOL but i just wanted to tell you theres alot to consider to boost......O REDO your pcv system....or by by rings also LOL:nervous:

Let us know how the progress goes.. ill throw in some pointers when your doing it WOOT...

TsubohachiLX-i
05-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I have 2 options that you can take:

1) You can visit GUDE Performance (http://www.gude.com) and order the HEAD PACKAGE for your engine. The package comes with the following:

*Ported & Polished Cylinder Head with Racing Valve Grind
*Ported Intake Manifold
*Big Bore Throttle Body
*Racing Camshaft

Although the HEAD PACKAGE goes beyond $1200 (would cost around $1600), your engine will surely add on some extra pounds......an additional 55-60 Horsepower...

2) You can also SEND YOUR ENGINE TO GUDE, and pay them to build you a monster. You get to choose from 3 different stages of performance:

*Stage 1 Build - Street Performance (Intake, Exhaust, and Valvetrain)
*Stage 2 Build - Race Performance (Pistons, Crankshaft, and Clutch/Flywheel)
*Stage 3 Build - Pro Performance (MAJOR HIGH PERFORMANCE OVERHAUL)

Even though this may be OUT OF YOUR BUDGET, I think it can be a GREAT INVESTMENT towards your Accord..........

How about that for BOOST............?

2oodoor
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Lol. XD Yeah def. let me know esp if you have the dual springs you want to get rid of let me know a price.

Its an Si, 2 litre A series I will have Accord parts extra

2ndGenGuy
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Has anybody actually dyno'd a GUDE engine or head?

mushroom_toy
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Its an Si, 2 litre A series I will have Accord parts extra

Ah ok.

mushroom_toy
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I have 2 options that you can take:

1) You can visit GUDE Performance (http://www.gude.com) and order the HEAD PACKAGE for your engine. The package comes with the following:

*Ported & Polished Cylinder Head with Racing Valve Grind
*Ported Intake Manifold
*Big Bore Throttle Body
*Racing Camshaft

Although the HEAD PACKAGE goes beyond $1200 (would cost around $1600), your engine will surely add on some extra pounds......an additional 55-60 Horsepower...

2) You can also SEND YOUR ENGINE TO GUDE, and pay them to build you a monster. You get to choose from 3 different stages of performance:

*Stage 1 Build - Street Performance (Intake, Exhaust, and Valvetrain)
*Stage 2 Build - Race Performance (Pistons, Crankshaft, and Clutch/Flywheel)
*Stage 3 Build - Pro Performance (MAJOR HIGH PERFORMANCE OVERHAUL)

Even though this may be OUT OF YOUR BUDGET, I think it can be a GREAT INVESTMENT towards your Accord..........

How about that for BOOST............?

Unfortunately in my opinion both of those are a HUGE waste of money.

Rendon LX-i
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
hah its funny how you dont reply to my posts...you never had. idk why but w/e i guess.

TsubohachiLX-i
05-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Just thought I could help ....

I don't have any DYNO Results that I can post right now, but GUDE is where some DRAGSTERS and STREET RACERS go. Most of them own a HONDA, ACURA, TOYOTA, HYUNDAI, and various MUSCLE CARS and RALLY CARS.

I know a few other 3geez out there that actually spent some serious dough on GUDE, and one of them LIVES DOWN THE STREET FROM ME. His 86 Accord LX-i Hatchback is supposedly pushing 181 horsepower.....

But if its a WASTE to you then I'd stick with some kind of CHEAP ROUTE.....

mushroom_toy
05-27-2009, 07:27 AM
hah its funny how you dont reply to my posts...you never had. idk why but w/e i guess.

Your post is too long haha. :) Sorry if I didnt I though I had. I mostly take what most people take in mind. :) As for pistons and rods whats a god price range estimate?

TsubohachiLX-i
05-27-2009, 07:30 AM
I would have consulted with GUDE myself, but I chose to do a STOCK REBUILD instead........

I only plan on RESTORING/UPGRADING my Accord LX-i.........

Not GOING ALL OUT.....

Rendon LX-i
05-27-2009, 07:30 AM
thats the spendy part bro...h beams are 300 shipped..then pistons are 400 depending on what you get...there all in that rang

rjudgey
05-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Do not whatever you do even if it's just a stock rebuild ever ever ever and i mean ever get topline engine rebuild kit the stuff is shockingly crap and should not be used for anything apart from tossing in the bin!!!!!

Now is that clear enough for everyone, in fact can someone sticky that statement so that whenever someone new wants to rebuild there engine i don't have to repeat this again! lol!

And personally i prefer Felpro blue racing gaskets to honda leave less mess if you need to take off head and i've never had one blow yet but then again never had an engine last more than 30k without needing the head off lol!!

SO SAY NO TO TOPLINE!!!! SIMPLES!!!!

mushroom_toy
05-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone got any ideas on good full rebuild master kits with .20 overbore?