PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump

w261w261
05-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I went back 6 years and only found a few threads that deal with oil pump failures. My car has 220k, runs fine, and has (at least since 85k) had all the maintenance I could give it. Although I should have asked this question a month ago before my new timing belt et al went in, should I have changed out the oil pump as a preventative measure? Is it worth putting in an oil pressure gauge, or just wait until another 60k goes by and change it then? Or not change it at all because it's really not a problem with our cars?

Thx

2oodoor
05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I dont think oil pump failure is a common issue any more than other cars, they just happen randomly.
Sealing is an issue though because the pump uses the round o ring type rubber made in odd shapes just like the oil filter base housing. Those get hard and brittle then get cracks that start leaks. There are two on the oil pump, one being inside the pump which would cause pressure drops. Oil pressue guage, I would not rig up one merely because of the problems those have in themselves.
You can pick up the seals at the dealer for around 16 bucks (jobber price) and make it good as new. You can check oem specs as well while you have the pieces out.

AZmike
05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I've had the seals break on both of my Accord's oil pumps. When I took the pumps apart to replace the seals they both measured like new. Replace the seals next time you have the timing belt off if you're concerned, otherwise leave it alone and you'll probably be fine.

The only oiling issue I've had is oil sloshing in the pan on extended left turns to the point that oil pressure is lost (and the idiot light turns on). A baffle solved this problem for me.

Ichiban
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
If the cold and hot oil pressure is in spec, and there aren't external leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ichiban
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Oil pressue guage, I would not rig up one merely because of the problems those have in themselves.

Why wouldn't you? I know that like all other mechanical devices, gauges can fail, but if there's any sort of problem, be it oil pressure, level, or gauge fault, it's going to make you pull over and investigate.

Better false alarm than no alarm, I say.

2oodoor
05-28-2009, 03:39 AM
ok Im not AGAINST oil press guages! they dont fix oil pressure problems though was my point I guess, and can be a source for another oil leak.. meh
any hew....:eatarrow:

mykwikcoupe
05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
theres 3 seals in there roodoo. an inner and outer seal as well as a seal inside the housing if you unbolt it. I tried to unbolt mine and I couldnt get it even with an impact driver. The seals were leaking, pressure was fine. I left mine at replaceing the 2 and called it good. That was at 278k with no other issues. Id say if it leaks fix then. Its not worth pulling the timing belt again just for peace of mind. I do whenever i tell people to do there timing belts to add those seals to the list as well as the cam, crank, waterpump. It runs me 150 out of pocket for everything included to rebiuld the front of the engine.

Xulfiqar
06-01-2009, 02:35 AM
When it sprung a leak I got the sealing O squiggly rings and then mounted the pump on a hydraulic press to remove the gear - push out the crapped out oil seal - replace it with a new high temp german seal - new O rings inside and mount side - lapped the pump surface flush with the rotors slapped it back together and never ever had a problem since.. this was about 200,000 kms ago

my engines cold pressure = 80 psi at idle and hot pressure = 30 psi at idle currently

Im using API SG 20W50 oil since I can remember

ArokASE88LXi
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
If the cold and hot oil pressure is in spec, and there aren't external leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.
:werd:

i absolutely agree i've never actually seen an oil pump fail i've seen them leak but that's about it. if it were to fail the idiot light would come on. putting a guage on would make me feel better but so would simply replacing the pressure sending unit for the light. I just did my timing belt at about 300k oil pumps never been replaced to my knowledge and didn't appear to be aftermarket. the o-rings looked ok so i greased em and put it back together no oil problems still (except during hard left turns lol ya me too!) i'd say your perfectly fine until the next t-belt change i have seen some high volume oil pumps for our cars though i'd have been more tempted though if it wasn't $100! anyway imo your just fine :cheers:

russiankid
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
If you're worried about the oil pump then order new seals for it. While replacing the seals, check all the tolerances(available in the shop manual) and then you can decide whether its worth keeping or not. In my opinion, oil pumps are designed to last the life time of the motor. They are a simple design that does not wear out much because they are constantly drenched in oil.

2oodoor
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
theres 3 seals in there roodoo. .

yep I was thinkng of the two odd shaped ones and didnt mention the round one. !6 bucks for all of them at Honda dealer, that is with discount though.