PDA

View Full Version : EGR Problem......

TsubohachiLX-i
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
I was driving yeaterday when the PGM-FI light came on......

I checked the ECU and it revealed that the EGR Valve may be going bad (12 Blinks), so I went down to my nearest auto parts store to ORDER A NEW ONE......

I have to pick it up tomorrow, but I won't be able to install it until SATURDAY......

So is it okay to drive on a Bad EGR Valve? No STALLING? No Black Smoke? No Engine Damage?

turabaka
05-27-2009, 08:19 AM
yeah. you should be fine. It might run a little rich, but it'll be fine.

TsubohachiLX-i
05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
No damage from being too rich?

ecogabriel
05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
It should not cause any problem besides some pinging under acceleration; EGR is an emission device that reduces NOx emissions by lowering temperatures at the combustion chamber (it does that by injecting regulated amounts of exhaust gases into the intake)
Probably the valve's sensor went bad in yours; that is what tells the computer how much to open (or close) the EGR valve. You should be OK unless you try to pass emissions test without a working EGR (most likely it won't pass)

TsubohachiLX-i
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
cool.........thanks.........

still....I won't feel better until I replace the valve, and that won't be until saturday......

guess I'll just endure......

TsubohachiLX-i
05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
One thing that I have noticed about my Accord Lx-i is that it seems to be a bit more powerful, even though its not a good idea to have a Bad EGR Valve......

I once heard that the European Accords (EX, EX-i, etc.) have a higher horsepower/torque output because those models lack emissions components, so I guess thats what I am experiencing in mine.....

I was on the highway the last couple of days and although my engine was a little unstable (lots of vibration due to the EGR failure), I noticed that I was able to reach 75-80mph quicker than before. This totally FREAKED ME OUT, because I've never went that fast on the highway before, I ALWAYS stick to the speed limit (60-65mph)......

ALMOST MAKES ME WANT TO NOT REPLACE THE VALVE........

Rendon LX-i
05-28-2009, 06:25 PM
your better off just blocking the damn thing...i had to anyway when i boosted...doesnt make your car run rich LOL..who told you that? all it does is reburn the exhuast gasses..its part of the emissions deal.. its not going to hurt,damage,break anything...just to let you i hadnt had any problems when mine was broke...you can always clean it and put it back in.

Rendon

Tdurr
05-28-2009, 07:59 PM
oh yea i need to make a block off plate also... hmmm...

Rendon LX-i
05-28-2009, 08:01 PM
i just pinched the tube and brazed it...and was a good seal

turabaka
05-28-2009, 08:08 PM
If you guys want me to I'll make block of plates for 10 bucks shipped. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow if you want me to.

Rendon LX-i
05-28-2009, 08:09 PM
shit ill buy one...i need one...lol would look alot better then mine lol...

turabaka
05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
shit ill buy one...i need one...lol would look alot better then mine lol...

yeah mine's all polished and shiny. I even sprayed it with clearcoat so it won't rust again.

I'm assuming the egr valve is basically the same for both fi and carbed correct? As in same bolt spacing, and clearance around.

Rendon LX-i
05-28-2009, 08:12 PM
yes indeed...give me a pic an well see..im pretty sure..same egr...

Joay
05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
I ALWAYS stick to the speed limit (60-65mph)......
Suuure. ;)
The EGR has absolutely no 'performance' value, its purpose is to reduce emissions by re-burning exhaust gas. Exhaust gases are inert (they've already been blown up once) so it actually pollutes your fuel/air mixture a little bit. I was under the impression that, under full throttle, the EGR shut off entirely but (a) I can't actually remember where I read that and (b) who knows if it works identically for all engines.

You don't need it, buy turabaka's blockoff thing and be done with it.

Rendon LX-i
05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
x2.....i told ya so...

ecogabriel
05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I found a couple of articles about EGR system in general here
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

and another one on diagnosing EGR system problems on Hondas
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov2001/techtips.htm

I have always wondered how you guys manage to pass emissions without a working EGR. When mine was defective the car failed emissions (high NOx); I got a working EGR out of testing a few in the junkyard and it passed without a problem.
If you boost you may need a different management system but my knowledge stops there so if someone can share how emissions and boost works (or if it is a thread somewhere here) I will appreciate the info.

Thanks

turabaka
05-29-2009, 09:03 PM
my state doesn't test for NOx so I never have to worry about keeping it low. To pass on the rest of it I just mess with my air/fuel mixture until it passes.

Rendon LX-i
05-29-2009, 10:56 PM
x2 yo...

ecogabriel
05-30-2009, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I suspected that you would not have to bother with emissions inspections.

For those of us that cannot get rid of EGR, another article with general repair information.
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec97/egr.htm

The last part concerns our cars; they have individual EGR passages to each cylinder and over time some may get clogged. The "cure" involves taking the intake out and removing some plugs and cleaning the crud out of each passage.
I even remember reading somewhere about a guy that had undergone the repair and got the replacement plugs from a Honda dealer.

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Good stuff Eco. Thanks!

ecogabriel
05-31-2009, 10:52 AM
You're welcome.

turabaka
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Alright guys here's the pics of my egr block of plates.

New one. Currently the one on my car.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/turabaka/DSC_0191.jpg

And the old one.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/turabaka/egr_plate-1.jpg

I can make these in either style. Square or cut to generally match the opening. I did both of these with a grinder, and polished them afterwards so it's not exact machining or anything.

There's some water/antifreeze spots on the plate in the first pic so it doesn't look as shiny as usual. I definitely need to wash my engine bay. Maybe that's what I'll do later today.

Civic Accord Honda
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
yep the carb and efi should have the same bolt pattern . just one has electronic crap on it and one does not . lol

btw when i get me another 3g ill def be buying a block off plate

Rendon LX-i
05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
shit is nOice lol

MessyHonda
05-31-2009, 04:43 PM
nice work

ArokASE88LXi
05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
So just a quick dumb question but doesn't the pgm light stay on if the valve aint workin or if you simply unplug the valve will the light stay off?? Also i'll have to buy one of those from ya if i can't find any aluminum of my own in the next week or two (say isn't my junk tranny case aluminum?? he he he). the outlet port is simple enough just pinch shut and braze as someone said earlier (horrible memory) the hole in the exhaust manifold do you just pinch shut too? i heard someone on here awhile ago say the trans filler nut fits perfectly in it. just curious!

turabaka
05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I took the bolt out of the manifold and had my dad weld it closed, and then I put it back on. Same for the intake manifold. Not that it really matters with the block off plate there.

Just so everyone knows. The block of plate is made out of 1/4 inch steel plate. Not aluminum. I just happen to have a lot of steel hanging around my house because of my dad's job, so that's why I get to mess around with tools and build random crap all the time. The day I learn to weld is going to be a glorious one. woe to the unused piece of steel that tries to escape my grasp.

Rendon LX-i
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
The light comes on YES, i just deal with it. it only does it when i slight push the gas but if im on it alittle it doesnt come one. I dont care once my get my obd1 swap. it all good homie.

Ps. im fuel injected to LOL

Rendon LX-i
05-31-2009, 08:11 PM
I took the bolt out of the manifold and had my dad weld it closed, and then I put it back on. Same for the intake manifold. Not that it really matters with the block off plate there.

Just so everyone knows. The block of plate is made out of 1/4 inch steel plate. Not aluminum. I just happen to have a lot of steel hanging around my house because of my dad's job, so that's why I get to mess around with tools and build random crap all the time. The day I learn to weld is going to be a glorious one. woe to the unused piece of steel that tries to escape my grasp.

A bro can you bring one of those plates when you come to the meet?

turabaka
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
A bro can you bring one of those plates when you come to the meet?

Absolutely. You want it square like my current one, or cut to the outline of the valve like my old one?

Rendon LX-i
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
cut the of the valve like your old one