PDA

View Full Version : a20a3 turbo

Nik247
05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
i never did a turbo project before so what parts would i need if i want to turbo my a20 and do i need to replace any parts on the engine? it already has 200k on stock motor and tranny

Rendon LX-i
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
BOi o boi....well they dont make manifolds for are cars...everything is custom to your liking...i have a DSM T25 setup...working legit 10psi....

First and far most you need to do a comp test. to see if your motor can handle boost. if theres a big drop on one pistons WOOT no boost lol. I would replace the seals that are visable. Dizzy o ring...do a head gasket.exc.

You need a way to manage your fuel/air ratios, Timming. since we have vac dizzy you need a MSD BTM..you need bigger injectors, a way to control em. and your better off going obd1.

Turbo i rather you get a t3/t4 would suit the a20 nice...my t25 spooools way to fast. i like it but i want my power band around 4 to redline.

So heres a mock up of what you need:

Custom Manfold
Turbo
Oil line kit
Oil pan tapped
BOV
Intercooler piping / couplers / clamps
450cc injectors off a dsm
Safc if you want
MSD BTM
Downpipe
Colder plugs
Ramdom Fittings/exc.
Redoing your PCV
Clutch to handle the power
Intercooler.

my kit cost me around 1800 all said in down. So its going to take some cash..but i would not do it unless your motor healthy...

Rendon...

Nik247
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
thnx man btw what kind of stuff should i check for the motor to make sure that it is healthy?

Tomisimo
05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Pressure test, and I would do is overhaul head before doing it. and bottom end with new bearings so you can go over to fully synthetic oil. otherwise if you switch over you destroy engine as its used to mineral oil.
easy. but yes if you really want reliable engine go with forged pistons and rods.

Joay
05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
* compression / leakdown test
* definitely replace the head gasket
* check out the valvetrain, especially if you smoke

There's lots more stuff that deserves to be looked at but I'm sure someone with a turbo could better answer that.

Rendon LX-i
05-29-2009, 05:12 PM
i just boosted mine when it had 120,00 miles on the rebuild...wasnt meant for boost but its doing a good job of it lol... I did a comp test. everything was fine....I would replace the headgasket, or just redo the head to be on the safe side. I always ran mobile 1 fully syn. and thats prolly why my motor hasnt giving yet. Make your your motor is legit...as in...idles right, no bogging,get new fuel fuel filter...I also forgot to metion that you need a 255cc walbro intank fuel pump....theres alot to consider...just use the search up above and theres a faq to bro..tell you everything

Nik247
05-30-2009, 08:01 AM
thanks guys u guys r rly helpful