PDA

View Full Version : tensioner question on 88 accord

youceffhasacar
05-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi
I ran into some issues with my water pump and had to replace it. I'm pretty much done with the repair, except for putting the w.p./alternator belt back on the pulley. the belt is far too tight though and it won't go on the pulley. Therefore I've been looking for the tensioner in order to relieve the tension on the belt. My problem is I can't find it... I got the haynes book but it doesn't say how to remove the tension in their w.p. repair guide. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could pull up a picture/diagram/drawing of where that tensioner is specifically located. if you can guide me with words, it'd be appreciated as well.
thanks in advance

turabaka
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
the alternator is the tensioner. You loosen the top bolt holding it on, and it swings forward and back with the bottom bolt being the pivot.

youceffhasacar
05-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes! spot on! thanks man!
last question, how exactly am i supposed to put the right tension on the belt? i started it and the belt squeaked, it's definitely too loose. should i just bring it to the nearest shop? or is it an easy fix?
thanks

Oldblueaccord
05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Looking down from the top of the car there is a long bolt that tensions the belt. It pushes the alt away from the motor tighting the belt. You should loosen the other bolts since they pivot on them. Its a pretty nice setup no pry bars/crow bars to fool with.

wp

youceffhasacar
05-30-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah i think i should be able to tighten it, it's kinda hard to get to though. which tool do you recommend? i'd be really difficult to fit a ratchet back there, maybe with a couple extensions?

Oldblueaccord
05-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Well your carb so its a PIA. You might have to remove the tire and work from the side underneath. I use a deep socket over the adjusting bolt.

wp

jasonrebellion
05-30-2009, 02:48 PM
i just pulled mine back as hard as i could get it and tightened the bolt that holds it in place, and then tightened the second one....I did it with wrenches.

russiankid
05-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Get a stuby wrench. Thats what I use and it works perfectly. To measure tension, you make sure that the belt has about 3-4mm of flex between the water pump pulley and alternator pulley.

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I use a ratcheting box end wrench. It works like a champ. I used a regular box end wrench before buying the ratcheting variety. It takes forever, but it does work.

The tension on the belt is measured by applying 22 lbs. of force to the belt between the water pump and alternator. A properly tensioned belt will deflect 6-9 mm. That's not especially helpful, so just tighten it until "feels right" knowing that if you undertighten, it will squeal and if you overtighten, it will burn up the bearings in your alternator.

russiankid
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I thought its suppose to deflect much less. Hm...oh well mine hasn't worn anything out in 20k miles it will be fine.