PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Saver?

chillphillyphil
05-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Magnetic Fuel Saver
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_15684G_CL_1.jpg
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_15685G_CL_1.jpg

Tested and approved by an EPA accepted laboratory to increase fuel economy up to 11.6%!
Designed to dramatically reduce pollution
Fuel injector nozzles stay clean by removing carbon and varnish buildup

The cost of these devices is a small price to pay for the money you'll save, the performance boost you'll enjoy and the good you'll be doing for the environment! Your engine will have more power, run smoother, last longer and require less maintenance. Each unit eliminate the need for expensive high-octane fuel and additives (unless recommended by manufacturer). When gasoline remains in your tank over time, the fuel molecules start to cluster. The molecules on the inside of these clusters can't be exposed to the oxygen necessary for combustion. The result is incomplete fuel burn with the unburned molecules emitted as pollution or remaining inside the engine as damaging carbon/varnish deposits. The Fuel Savers fit easily over the inbound fuel line (straps included, no special tools required). They deliver an abrupt designed magnetic field to break up these fuel clusters, exposing all molecules to the oxygen, ensuring the best fuel burn possible! Each works on every vehicle, every time—the EPA accepted laboratory test and repeated demonstrations at authorized diagnostic/emissions inspection centers prove it. CARB exemption #D-421. For carbureted and fuel-injected vehicles.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/FUELBOSS-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-COMMERCIAL-VEHICLE-MAGNETIC-FUEL-SAVER/GP_2005685_N_111+1989+200728704+600002066_10101.jc w

Cost 25 bucks - what do you guys think?

Tdurr
05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
all it is a magent in a box if im not mistaken. google search ebay "fuel saver" things or something.

chillphillyphil
05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_15683G_CL_1.jpg

* Designed to burn fuel cleaner, faster and more completely for greater power and fuel economy
* Increase gas mileage 7% to 24%, gain a 4- to 13-HP increase!
* Stainless steel booster installs easily inside the air intake hose of electronically fuel-injected vehicles
* Creates a swirling motion forcing air around corners and bends and through intakes

Since air is the main component in the combustion process, this mini whirlwind results in the best fuel atomization possible. Tests prove it! The Tornado® increases gas mileage from 7% to 24% (figures confirmed by road tests performed by an emission lab licensed by EPA/CARB). Dyno testing shows a big boost in horsepower—4-HP to 13-HP gain. Maintenance free—no moving parts to wear out. Manufacturer's lifetime warranty.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/TORNADO-PERFORMANCE-BOOSTER/GP_2005683_N_111+1989+200728704+600002066_10101.jc w

Tdurr
05-30-2009, 06:18 PM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_15683G_CL_1.jpg

* Designed to burn fuel cleaner, faster and more completely for greater power and fuel economy
* Increase gas mileage 7% to 24%, gain a 4- to 13-HP increase!
* Stainless steel booster installs easily inside the air intake hose of electronically fuel-injected vehicles
* Creates a swirling motion forcing air around corners and bends and through intakes

Since air is the main component in the combustion process, this mini whirlwind results in the best fuel atomization possible. Tests prove it! The Tornado® increases gas mileage from 7% to 24% (figures confirmed by road tests performed by an emission lab licensed by EPA/CARB). Dyno testing shows a big boost in horsepower—4-HP to 13-HP gain. Maintenance free—no moving parts to wear out. Manufacturer's lifetime warranty.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/TORNADO-PERFORMANCE-BOOSTER/GP_2005683_N_111+1989+200728704+600002066_10101.jc w

worthless. unless the intake manifold is designed to make the air twist then this "gas saver" is useless. been proven.

chillphillyphil
05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
LOL I wanna sue for time wasted. Magnet thing seems viable - homemade sounds cheaper, anywhere inline right?

Tdurr
05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
i think anywhere. but im 50/50 on that. could be as close to the injectors as possible.

Pico
05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Why???

Tdurr
05-30-2009, 06:29 PM
50mpg club!

chillphillyphil
05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Magnets round the fuel line or in the air flow

Devices of this type include: Ecoflow, FuelMAX, Prozone, MAXPower, FuelSaverPro, EcoMag, ZEFS

People have been claiming miraculous effects from magnets for hundreds of years. When considering these claims, bear in mind a simple physical fact: magnets only significantly affect things that conduct electricity. So magnets can affect metals, water and even the human body. But the only effect on a hydrocarbon fuel is the massively weaker "diamagnetic" influence. This would cause an extremely slight tendency of the fuel to move away from a magnet, but is highly unlikely to have any effect at the molecular level.

Some devices claim to "align the fuel molecules". But the molecules are vibrating at high speed all the time, just as in any liquid. So even if they were aligned in the magnetic field, they would "unalign" straight away when they passed the magnet, and so would be back to normal when they reached the engine. And where are the experimental results which show that the molecules are "aligned"? How can the makers claim their device works in a particular way, without any evidence to show that this is really happening?

Some magnet devices don't actually admit that they use magnets, because there has been so much negative evidence against them. But if a device clamps round the fuel line, doesn't have any electrical connection to anything, and claims to "align the fuel molecules" (or something along those lines), it is almost certainly a magnet. Devices made of neodymium, Samarium Cobalt or other "rare earth" materials are also almost certainly magnets.

But let's ignore the non-magnetism of fuel for a moment, and assume the magnet really does affect it. What is this claimed to do to the combustion?

A common claim is that it makes the fuel burn faster. Full details of the effect of burn rate on fuel consumption can be found on the turbulence page, but basically:

* Faster burning does not, even in theory, improve fuel economy significantly on modern engines (the burn rate is pretty close to optimum anyway)
* If the fuel really does burn faster, the ignition must be retarded to suit

Another claim is that the fuel in some way burns "better" or "more completely". But only about one or two percent of the injected fuel escapes unburnt from the engine (because it was trapped in the head gasket crevice, for example). The other 99% is totally broken down into smaller molecules, and then combined with oxygen to form water, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Essentially all the chemical energy in the fuel is released as heat. How can the burning be any "better" than this?

The mechanism by which magnetic devices often claim to work is by converting long-chain fuel molecules to short-chain ones. It is of course true that petrol and diesel consist of many different molecules, ranging from large ones such as octane (C8H18) to small ones such as butane (C4H10). Longer molecules can in theory be broken down into shorter ones, though this process normally requires heat and pressure, as well as the presence of a catalyst. But even if the fuel "saving" device does break the molecules down, this does not imply improved fuel consumption or emissions.

Firstly, the precise blend of components of modern petrol (and indeed diesel) is quite carefully "tuned" to match the requirements of the engine. This even involves selling different petrol in summer and winter to compensate for differing temperatures! The proportion of the fuel that evaporates at different temperatures (the "boiling curve") is determined by the blend of high boiling point (long-chain) components and low boiling point (short-chain) components. If the proportions are altered, then the boiling characteristics of the fuel will change. The likely effects are either poor cold starting or poor hot starting, with increased emissions in each case.

Secondly, short-chain molecules do not generally produce significantly more energy when burnt. The calorific values of most hydrocarbon fuels are around 44 - 46 MJ/kg, with small molecules providing only slightly more energy than larger ones. Claims that smaller molecules burn "better", "more completely", or "more energetically" are not supported by experimental data (consider, for example, the fuel economy of LPG vehicles).

Some such products also claim a cleaning effect.

One of the best-known examples of a magnetic fuel "saving" device is the Ecoflow. In 2002 the Advertising Standards Authority ruled against Ecoflow, saying:

The Authority took expert advice on the Warren Spring [DTI] report. It understood that the testing procedure was flawed and therefore the results did not prove the efficacy of the Ecoflow fuel economiser. It considered that the letters, testimonials and articles sent by the advertisers to support their claims for the fuel economiser did not constitute rigorous scientific evidence.

The vehicle tested, a non-catalyst equipped carburetted engine car, was not typical of current vehicles, which are fitted with catalysts and fuel injected systems. The Authority noted the vehicle tested was too old and too variable in its exhaust emissions for the test programme used. The Authority concluded that the reference to the Warren Spring report was misleading because the testing procedure was flawed and the test vehicle no longer representative. It told the advertisers to delete the reference to the Warren Spring report

The ASA does not regulate Internet advertising, so this test data is still widely used by the sellers of magnetic devices ("tested by the DTI!"), but the authoritative remarks above should demonstrate the need for caution in accepting these claims.

Ecoflow also said that their magnetic device was "the subject of a continuing product specific trial funded by an independent charity" but "the results would not be available for some time". This was said over two years ago - readers may draw their own conclusions as to the results of this trial, from the fact that they have apparently not been published.

Another "famous" magnetic fuel "saving" device is the FuelMAX / Super FuelMAX. The makers and sellers of this device were recently taken to court by the US Federal Trade Comission, and banned from claiming significant economy or emissions benefits. Read the FTC press release for full details. (The "FuelMAX" was described by the FTC as "a bogus fuel-saving product that doesn’t save fuel", which is a pretty clear condemnation!) And in August 2006 the company was fined 4.2 million dollars for their false claims, and banned from ever selling such products again.

Interestingly, certain makers of both magnet and catalyst-based fuel "saving" devices claim that they were used by the RAF during World War 2. Amazing that the British armed forces should have found not one, but two, miraculous fuel-saving devices; even more amazing that they have apparently now "lost" both of them. (Since getting fuel to the front line is a major logistical problem, the armed forces are more interested in fuel consumption than you might think.) A sceptic might wonder how much truth there is in either claim.

On a related note, ask yourself why such magnets are not fitted as standard on aircraft. Since fuel is a very high proportion of an airline's running costs, you would think they would jump at the chance to save 10%+ on fuel consumption just by adding a relatively cheap magnet round the fuel line. Magnetic fuel "saving" devices typically claim to work on petrol engines, diesel engines and gas boilers, so why should they not work on jet engines?

Magnets are also often claimed to be useful either medically (reducing pain, etc) or for reduction of "scale" in hard water areas. I am sceptical about both of these claims, but since water undoubtedly can be affected by magnets (and the human body is mostly made up of water) there is at least a hint of a possible mechanism by which they might work. This absolutely does not add any weight to the idea of magnets affecting hydrocarbons fuels, however

Magnets are additionally claimed to improve the efficiency of gas boilers. The Energy Saving Trust conducted an (admittedly relatively small-scale, but carefully controlled) study of this and could find no effect from magnets on boiler efficiency or emissions. I have a copy of the report but the EST have requested that it not be "published" and so it is not available on this site. Of course this is not proof that magnets do not work on gas boilers, or that they do not work on car engines, but it is certainly a strong indication in that direction. As with car engines, there is strong pressure (in Britain in particular) for boiler makers to deliver good efficiency ratings. If simply adding a magnet could greatly improve efficiency, boiler makers would fit them as standard on most models.

labeledsk8r
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
all proven useless, mythbusters tested MANY claims all failed (includeing that magnet one) and the tornado one was dyno proven that it actully hurts your mpgs AND HP

ghettogeddy
05-30-2009, 08:28 PM
ya i know some one that makes the ebay ones and there literally 5 bucks worth of parts form walmart sold for 49 lol

Joay
05-30-2009, 11:25 PM
all proven useless, mythbusters tested MANY claims all failed (includeing that magnet one) and the tornado one was dyno proven that it actully hurts your mpgs AND HP
Wow that's jacked up. I figured it would help if your stock intake system was mad shitty - remember how they used a bunch of GM cars in the commercials?

jdmca6
05-31-2009, 12:43 AM
seeeen that one!:deal:

Civic Accord Honda
05-31-2009, 01:15 AM
ya i know some one that makes the ebay ones and there literally 5 bucks worth of parts form walmart sold for 49 lol

i just found a new job buying worthless crap, saying it helps and selling for profit!!! win1!one!!1

frantik
05-31-2009, 02:40 AM
Cost 25 bucks - what do you guys think?

if you're interested in saving money.. step 1: don't buy this product lol

frantik
05-31-2009, 02:48 AM
also, think about it for a second.. if a cheap magnet would really save gas, all cars would already come with them installed....

Dr_Snooz
05-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Wow that's jacked up. I figured it would help if your stock intake system was mad shitty - remember how they used a bunch of GM cars in the commercials?

It works by increasing turbulence in the intake system. I wouldn't think that could ever be good. You want something that reduces turbulence, like a short ram or something.

cygnus x-1
05-31-2009, 09:16 AM
It works by increasing turbulence in the intake system. I wouldn't think that could ever be good. You want something that reduces turbulence, like a short ram or something.

Turbulence can be a good thing depending on where in the intake path it is. Turbulence before the fuel is injected is bad because it is by definition disturbing orderly airflow through the system. Turbulence after the fuel is injected can be good as it helps to mix the air and fuel producing a more uniform burn. It's also helpful in the combustion chamber when trying to burn leaner air/fuel mixtures (google combustion chamber swirl and tumble). However if said turbulence ever causes less air/fuel mixture to flow through the engine it them becomes self defeating.

But yeah. The shit is bogus.

C|

MessyHonda
05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
save your money and just buy good gas....IE shell or cheveron

Hazwan
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
That craps is selling like hot cakes back when fuel price are high. I hate them so much and some people swears they gained 5mpgs from it :rolleyes:

2drSE-i
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I've heard that putting an ErectionSaver on my penis makes sex last longer, and its only $30, should i try it?

Lol just givin ya a hard time, we've been up and down this path before i believe.

chillphillyphil
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I've heard that putting an ErectionSaver on my penis makes sex last longer, and its only $30, should i try it?

Lol just givin ya a hard time, we've been up and down this path before i believe.

It's called a cock ring - so HAH.

forrest89sei
06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I Can See A Ad For That.....

Hi Billy Mays For The ErectionSaver

Got Floppy Cock? Gone Soft?

Billy Mays Has The Answer!

Order Now And Get Kaboom Super Lube!

Civic Accord Honda
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
:lol: :lol: ^

chillphillyphil
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Stay Thicker - Quicker!! Stay Harder - Longer!! I'm sold. :-P

frantik
06-07-2009, 07:34 PM
:inout:

Vanilla Sky
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
LOL.

Seriously, though, a good fuel saving device is an egg. Tape it to your accel pedal. If you smash it, then you pushed too hard. Replace and repeat.

The best mod when it comes to fuel economy is tightening the loose nut behind the wheel.

Civic Accord Honda
06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
if i tightening the steering wheel i will get better mpg? O_O

Vanilla Sky
06-07-2009, 08:43 PM
LOL :p

No, learning how to drive with an egg taped to your accel pedal does :D

forrest89sei
06-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok Heres The Pitch For Pitchmen

Stay Thicker - Quicker!! Stay Harder - Longer!!

Billy Mays ErectionSaver It's Your Light Night Savior

Don't Settle For That Little Smokey, Go For Polish!

Order Now For Only $19.95
Call Now And Get Kaboom Super Lube, And OrangeKnobglo.

But Yeah my dad got one of those Tornado Fuel Savers and it Didnt do shit, The magnets are proven to fail and the best thing that they tested on mythbusters was the 300MPG Carb that reduced MPG vs the oem LOL

And yeah how you drive is everything, When I first got my truck I was 7-8MPG but when I drive with my big toe I get 12 mpg

2drSE-i
06-08-2009, 03:54 AM
No CAH the loose nut behind the wheel is the one in your head lmao

chillphillyphil
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
:inout:

HAHAHA this says it all.....

chillphillyphil
06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok Heres The Pitch For Pitchmen

Stay Thicker - Quicker!! Stay Harder - Longer!!

Billy Mays ErectionSaver It's Your Light Night Savior

Don't Settle For That Little Smokey, Go For Polish!

Order Now For Only $19.95
Call Now And Get Kaboom Super Lube, And OrangeKnobglo.

But Yeah my dad got one of those Tornado Fuel Savers and it Didnt do shit, The magnets are proven to fail and the best thing that they tested on mythbusters was the 300MPG Carb that reduced MPG vs the oem LOL

And yeah how you drive is everything, When I first got my truck I was 7-8MPG but when I drive with my big toe I get 12 mpg

Hahahahhaha.... you've probably been thinking about this all day - good job.