PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor is dying I think

Xulfiqar
06-01-2009, 02:19 AM
While driving yesterday night the A/C compressor started howling - its spinning so rough you can feel it in the cabin, This A/C served me for 11 years, Cant seem to find a replacement denso now for it.

Its still blowing chilled as in its literally blowing out white frosted air.. withoutside temps in the high 30s low 40s celsius range - running R12 btw

Me thinks that a GM harrison V5 running propane would be a good upgrade with a GM expansion valve and direct shorted thermostat - anyone agreeing?

jasonrebellion
06-01-2009, 04:35 AM
you can find compressors pretty cheap on ebay

mephi
06-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Generally you should avoid using propane as a refrigerant just in case you spring a leak. It could catch your car on fire or something more spectacular.

Also, since your compressor has basically just taken a crap on you, there are most likely little metal particles blown throughout the entire system. You are going to need to remove the refrigerant, and then blow air through the hoses and possibly the condenser and evaporator. Also, I don't know if there is a filter before the expansion valve/orifice tube, so that might get clogged too.

Honestly, I would try to go with a new or functional denso. Manufacturers generally design each component specifically for that system. You could develop odd pressures or system failures with the wrong compressor. The older GM compressors also need more HP to turn. You would loose power and gas mileage. Just try e-bay, but make sure they will ship to you first.

Xulfiqar
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
the reason i like the gm ones are that they are variable - they reduce their load on the engine when the return pressures come to optimum - rather than the stock NDs which cycle off tripped from the thermister bulb

Rendon LX-i
06-02-2009, 05:33 PM
i got one for sale. was working when i took it off. really cold. still have r12 in it.i recharged and an it was making frost on my vents LOL. so shoot me a offer and shes yours

Xulfiqar
06-04-2009, 02:06 PM
shipping would be stupidly high

Xulfiqar
06-06-2009, 10:40 AM
fixed my A/C - put a bout 400 ml oil in the suction line, tripped the compressor a few times to circulate it, filled it with propane isobutane mix, WOHOOO - talk about CHILL brrrrr

the outlet vent temperature came down to 7 degrees celcius on fan speed 3 - outside temp was about 35 celcius suction line pressure was about 25 psi - pretty under control I guess