PDA

View Full Version : power window help!!

Tdurr
06-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Okay so the other day i was driving and my friend goes "hey ur window fell down". this the only window on the car i had problems with. It would roll down but never up. So i went to the JY bought a regulator + new driver side switch. Plug them in. Works for like 8 test flips of the switch then stops. :mad: Now im stuck. Took the window control unit out and have no fucking idea how to get it open. I can re solder the fucker if it will open.

so the main thing is, window wont roll up. goes down and stops. Both regulators are in the down position because of this. what the fuck? help. :mad:

Tdurr
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
bump. i need this shit fixed tonight.

Connor_LX-i
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Okay so the other day i was driving and my friend goes "hey ur window fell down". this the only window on the car i had problems with. It would roll down but never up. So i went to the JY bought a regulator + new driver side switch. Plug them in. Works for like 8 test flips of the switch then stops. :mad: Now im stuck. Took the window control unit out and have no fucking idea how to get it open. I can re solder the fucker if it will open.

so the main thing is, window wont roll up. goes down and stops. Both regulators are in the down position because of this. what the fuck? help. :mad:

LMAO....ok sorry I can see that ''Oh SHIT'' expression. No idea about the windows though bud...hope you can work it out.

russiankid
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Get another control module. I had the same issue with the drivers window, and I had a spare control module and that fixed it.

Tdurr
06-03-2009, 05:47 PM
lol yea the window fell down part didnt surprise me. It was a bad night for all of our cars. the radiator blew up on that kids 04 GTI then my window fell down, THen my brake problem started again.

and russian kid, I opened the current one up and resoldered the joints. It didnt have an affect. So i might do that tomorrow.

russiankid
06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I didn't attempt to resolder mine. I will actually pull it apart now and see if solder is the cause of the problem.

Tdurr
06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
plz do. i hate having a window stuck down and needing/wanting to go out. its a bitch.

Dr_Snooz
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
My sister's 3g did that years ago. I cut a board to put in the bottom of the door to hold it up and called it a day. I know that's not how you want to fix it, but it might work as a stopgap until you figure it out.

mushroom_toy
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
We have no freaking clue. we put my control unit and switch in his car for a test and both his in my car and mine in his work fine. The problem is using either switch the rear window will not roll up only wants to roll down. (even when its already down) For now we rolled it up by reversing the polarity on the rear switch and it rolls up. This can only mean its not the regulator and is somewhere in the wiring. In other words the switch thinks it always wants to do down but not up.

Tdurr
06-04-2009, 10:46 PM
asshole. thats all i gotta say. im not fucking with that window again lol.

Rendon LX-i
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
you try wiggling the wire...i have a little bro lol...on my rear it dont roll up unless sometimes i wiggle the harness in the middle of the beam inbetween the both doors...and she goes up...wierd but works...

Tdurr
06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I did lol. i wiggled it all the way from the switch to where it goes through the door to the int panels. But im just leaving that stuff unplugged.

w261w261
06-05-2009, 04:49 AM
It's a little hard to tell from the posts, but from my experience, when the window goes down but won't go up, it's the window control unit. Mine started not working sometimes, but if I would push the window switch hard it would eventually go, so I thought it was just dirty. I then took out the switches, took them apart, and cleaned them all. No work. Finally I bought a new window relay (about $100 if I recall), and things were fixed, and have stayed fixed.

I opened up the relay box to see if one could be repaired, and remember thinking that the coils inside are just too small and too tucked in to make a fix worthwhile.

Here's a post I wrote a couple of year ago:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62750&highlight=window+relay

mushroom_toy
06-05-2009, 06:29 AM
^Its not the control box. We used my working one too and it didnt work in his car. Its something wonky with his car.

Tdurr
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
^^ lol wonky.

w261w261
06-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Are you guys *sure* that the "working" control unit that you swapped in was really ok? Because the symptoms you're having ("bought new regulator and switch, worked for a few cycles then not") sounds an awful lot like the control unit relays which fail intermittently, then don't work at all.

Try this: with the window down and power off, unplug both plugs from the controller. On the 6 wire plug, jump between the black/yellow wire (should be hot with ignition on and the window switch pushed to up position), and the red/yellow wire on the 4-connector plug (to the motor-up) . On the 4 connector plug, jump between the red/blue wire (return from motor) and the black wire on the 6-connector plug (to ground). Turn on the car's juice, and hit the window up switch. If the window goes up, the problem is the controller. If it doesn't, then you might need a DVM to go further. Let us know.

PS: you might want to make sure all the contacts of the plugs and controller are not dirty.

mushroom_toy
06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Well considering I use my windows everyday, yes my control unit is fine.

Dr_Snooz
06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't see that you ever tested the motor. It's possible that the brushes are old and tired. The next time it won't go up, try whacking the motor with a wrench or something. If the door isn't torn apart, just slap on the door panel over the motor area. If it works, you need a new motor.

Tdurr
06-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I put in a different motor+regulator so it cant be that. Altho i did put the original one back in, it went up like a champ when we switched the wires around so that down was up and up was down.

LxAcc510
06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
OMFG all you need is a different window motor. If u derno what I'm talkn about i'll find some pics er sumshit later.

Don't change the regulator, don't change any fuckin switches just change that damn motor. That BETTER solve your problem...I feel your pain brother...I had this problem last SUMMER WITHOUT A/C so I feel your pain lol.

now get a new fucking motor u can detach it from the regulator...

MessyHonda
06-07-2009, 11:04 PM
OMFG all you need is a different window motor. If u derno what I'm talkn about i'll find some pics er sumshit later.

Don't change the regulator, don't change any fuckin switches just change that damn motor. That BETTER solve your problem...I feel your pain brother...I had this problem last SUMMER WITHOUT A/C so I feel your pain lol.

now get a new fucking motor u can detach it from the regulator...

looks like you are going to help me...on my coupe the window wont go down...its the passenger side so its not bad...i got sat off....junkyard run...lol

w261w261
06-08-2009, 06:16 AM
I put in a different motor+regulator so it cant be that. Altho i did put the original one back in, it went up like a champ when we switched the wires around so that down was up and up was down.

Are you saying you switched the leads going into the motor, and then it would raise the window when you pulled back on the switch? If that's the case, did it drop the window when you pushed forward on the switch?

Tdurr
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
^^ you are correct, but i didn't push up on the switch cuz i was frustrated and just wanted the damn window up.

w261w261
06-09-2009, 06:08 AM
^^ you are correct, but i didn't push up on the switch cuz i was frustrated and just wanted the damn window up.

You might want to try that next. But it looks like the switch is good (works in both modes). The motor works in both directions. I suggest you jump the leads (my message #16) and see what happens. It sounds like it's either the controller, or one of the connections to the controller.

russiankid
06-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Clean all the tracks and guides. You could be overloading the system do to dirty tracks and guides.

Tdurr
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
^^ did u read the whole thread? lulz it goes up fine IF i switch the leads going to the motor(where down on the control switch goes up)

and w261, if i ever try and fix it ill do what you said. It doesnt bother me not being able to roll that window down lol.