PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak.....

TsubohachiLX-i
06-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Hello 3GEEZ......!

For a while now, my valve cover has been leaking oil (at least i'm POSITIVE that's where its coming from), and its beginning to annoy me. I replaced the valve cover gasket once and ITS STILL LEAKING, but luckily it does not interfere with the oil level because I believe the leak is very small.

A HOMELESS MAN told me that my Cylinder Head needs to be Re-torqued....

What's your opinion.......?

*Need New Valve Cover?

*Needs Another Gasket?

*Blown Seal?

russiankid
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Is it coming from above the exhaust manifold or below? Which side is it leaking on?

mrma5b
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
My valve cover used to leak the same way yours does, but a new valve cover gasket was all that I needed. You may have gotten the one-in-a-million defective replacement gasket, but that's not very probable.

Does the oil leak only in certain spots, or does the valve cover ooze oil on all sides?

Demon1024
06-03-2009, 09:40 PM
distributor seal ftl!
that is if it's coming from that side.
clean it all off real good and shiney. It'll be easier to see where it comes from then

TsubohachiLX-i
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
The oil leak is coming from ALL AROUND the valve cover, the only difference is that the leaks vary in quantity.....

At the rear (above Intake Manifold): leak is veeerrry small, but noticeable.

In the front (above Exhaust Manifold): the leak is veeerrry noticeable, as there are SMEARS near the Power Steering Pump. Also, there are OIL STAINS leading into the Spark Plug Ports, as well as oil that leaks at the LEFT CORNER (near the Distributor).

w261w261
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Replace the valve cover gasket, and use a Honda OEM gasket. Make sure all the surfaces are clean before fitting the new gasket in place. Should take care of it, leaving only the:

1. distributor
2. oil filter housing
3. oil filter o-ring
4. cam cover gasket
5. the other gasket you change w/ the timing belt
6. oil pan
7 head gasket (I think mine is leaking on the front right corner by the distributor, where I imagine there is a oil return drain from the valve train.
8. the sunroof (just kidding)

I used to bitch about oil leaks in the old Brit motorcycles. Now I can bitch about my Accord.

Civic Accord Honda
06-04-2009, 05:32 PM
yeah mayne def check the sun roof drain.. if that gets cloged you will blow the welds right off the intake manifold:eek5:

SILENT
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
maybe a warped valve cover!!! if you wait to long to change a leaking valve cover gasket it will happen!!!

TsubohachiLX-i
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Now that I got some leads, I'll try to fix the problem......

thanks.....

Dr_Snooz
06-05-2009, 08:23 PM
It's possible you got a gasket that's been sitting on a shelf since 1987. If it felt really hard when you put it in, then try again with a fresh gasket. Remember also that the torque spec on those valve cover bolts is 7 ft-lbs. That's only slightly tighter than finger tight. I'm not sure how long ago you replaced it, but if the old gasket was leaking real bad, then you could be seeing residual oil that leaked from the old gasket. It's also possible that the valve cover got dropped or stressed in a bad way at some point and is warped. If you didn't, you should also replace the buttons. If those are had, you'll have a hard time getting a good seal.