PDA

View Full Version : new: 87 Accord, sputtering

zorobyte
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I have picked up a sweet 87 accord in a trade. 193K miles.

Right to business:
Exhaust leak from front of car, pretty major. I think it is the exhaust manifold
Squeaky steering, bushings need greased.
Pass side front tire sounds like bearings in a tin can over bumps. Wheel bearing suspected.

Now the big issue:
It seems that the hotter the temp gets the crapppier the car runs. I have huge missing to the point where on the way home it wouldn't go over 20 MPH. It ran great on the test drive and seems to have gotten worse over the last few days. When I first started the car (when I was going to buy it) it smelled of burning from the exhaust manifold where it sits against the engine (top of flange) then went away and left some cooked black crud. Maybe it was some spilled oil or something but I do have a hell of a exhaust leak.

Car sat for 3 months before I got it started. I'm going to do the usual (plug, dizzy cap, rotor, PCV, vac line check, seafoam, carb cleaner, fuel filter(s), and flow check). Going to throw in some NGK V powers. Plug wires have been changed.

The weirdness: it seems like someone has screwed with the dizzy's timing quite a bit, the bolt is stripped and there is notched and paint marks indicating timing. The car was advanced to the point where it was idling @ 2000RPM so I set it back to factory. (It may of been retarded, which ever way down (clockwise looking towards driver side from pass).

Apart from checking vac hoses and fuel pressure/flow, any suggestions? I'm going to take to a muffler shop to replace exhaust this weekend. I''m keeping ahold of my subaru for the time being until I get the bugs out of this honda.

Demon1024
06-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Welcome!
Sounds like what my ball joint did when it went man. Check the upper one.
Dont know much about the carb versions sry

zorobyte
06-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Problem found:
Overheating in carb due to blocked radiator hose from a small diameter air hose being used as a patch

BIG leak in exhaust.

86ccord
06-04-2009, 08:00 PM
what you trade in for the 3g?

zorobyte
06-04-2009, 11:46 PM
quad core phenom x4 9650, 6gb ram, 1tb (2x 500 in raid 0) 9800GT, 22" hyundai, 5.1 sound, g11 keyboard, mouse, antec 902 case....

I'm withdrawing from Falout 3 right about now but I need to get a life :P

87acc
06-12-2009, 05:27 PM
When i got my car it did sorta the same thing, for me it was my fuel filters. I hope that helps you.