PDA

View Full Version : 7-18-09 Texas Gymkhana Event @ Mineral Wells!!!

KaMiKaZeE
06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2249/71809gymkhanaflyer.jpg

Welcome Friends!!! Its time for Gymkhana racing in Texas!!! :D

For those that don't know, Gymkhana is the Japanese version of autocross, in which drifting is allowed and your main goal is efficient technical driving and car control, to allow you to navigate through the course in the quickest time possible.

Tech inspection starts at 9:00am, drivers meeting will start at around 9:45am. Please be there early enough for the driver's meeting if you intend to drive the event.

Runs will continue throughout the day, probably until shortly before sunset, or until everyone is tired and no drivers wish to make any more runs for the day, whichever comes first.

All runs will be timed, but only your fastest run will count.

This course will be huge by gymkhana standards taking an avg of 2 minutes to complete.

The course will include auto barrel racing, reverse section, 180's, and a stop box.

There will be a tech inspection of each car before it is allowed to go on the track, which will include a quick lookover of the car and safety equipment (ie helmet, seat belts, ect.. )

The inspection will also include a J turn. We need to see that your cars suspension is up to the task of keeping you from rolling over so a quick 15 mph j turn will give us a chance to make sure everyone will be safe and have a fun day..

Tech will be strictly enforced to weed out high CG vehicles. Those vehicles that fail tech due to high CG will be allowed to run but will not be allowed to use the reverse section.

Prices for the event are as follows:

Drivers entrance fee - $40

Pit access (if you are not driving but are with a crew or want to hang out in the pits with the drivers) - $5

General spectators area - Free!!!

The top 3 finishers will recieve half price admission to the next Cloudfactory sponsored Mineral Wells event, and we aim to make these a regular thing.

The #1 finisher will recieve free admission to the next event.

The track will be located at Mineral Wells Airport.. In the back on the old tarmac...

CLICK HERE FOR GOOGLE MAP! (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Mineral+Wells+Airport&sll=32.935361,-97.086439&sspn=0.034938,0.055275&gl=us&ie=UTF8&ll=32.782837,-98.051949&spn=0.008749,0.013819&t=h&z=16)

Thanks and I hope to see you there!!! :D

KaMiKaZeE
06-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Oh also I forgot to mention, this is a grassroots style event, so bring your own folding chars and coolers of liquid refreshment, and sunscreen, and if you bring a helmet and you pay at least the $5 pit access, you'll probably have a number of drivers who would be willing to take you on some ride-alongs. :) Helmet and seatbelts are the required safety equipment for this event.

I also just found out several DFW area shops will be attending and setting up tents out there as well, and this event is posted up on a lot of local forums, so its a good opportunity to meet people and make friends in the DFW tuning scene. This is going to be a big event, don't miss it!!! :D

And its not solely based on drifting. You can grip or drift most of the course. You can still do gymkhana even in a front-wheel drive vehicle, or in an all-wheel drive vehicle. You will be racing circles around a series of barrels in one section, doing a slalom section, a big radius circle which can be drifted if you want, there will be a reverse gate which means you must go through it tail first (you can still do 180 maneuvers even in front wheel drive cars), a stop box is a small box shaped area (4 cones) where you must come to a complete stop within the box before continuing (tests your braking skill), and some generally technical driving. Its similar to autocross and its a timed run event, but in this version we definitely won't kick you out for sliding, and there are some more challenging tricks you must perform such as I've mentioned. You can't really run into much other than orange traffic cones or the blue barrels in the barrel racing section though. Its a great fun way to spend the day, and learn a lot about your car and improve your driving skill. I encourage everyone who can come out there to do so, and if you can, give the course a try.

Also, unlike most autocross events, you won't pay your money just to make just 3 runs for the day and thats it. You can go as many times as you want, simply get in line at the starting gate and when its your turn they will let you go again. When someone wipes out big and sends the cones flying, we will pause the course for a moment while we fix it before the next person makes their run. If you are the one who wiped out, we would definately appreciate you helping pick up your cones and fix the course for the next person. :)

KaMiKaZeE
06-21-2009, 06:38 AM
A peek at the course layout! :D

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/krimlin/Gymkahnamw.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/krimlin/KEYFORGYMKAHNA.jpg

Any questions? Can we have a rollcall? Who's coming? :naughty:

KaMiKaZeE
07-10-2009, 04:56 PM
This event is only one week away now guys! Get ready! Also, to make things more interesting, in addition to the $40 drivers class, there will now be a new completely optional higher stakes competition class available for those interested... the entrance fee for this class will be $75 and the grand prize is much better...

Winner of the new $75 competition class will receive a New Comp Turbo ordered to there specs in journal bearing up to specs of a 35R, meaning you want a GT28RS, GT2871, 30R,35R, you can get the journal bearing equivilent, you can also have one made to your specs, or the winner can pay the difference and get it upgraded to a triple ball bearing center section.

http://www.compturbo.com/products/Turbo_Chargers/CT3/CT350a.jpg http://www.compturbo.com/products/Turbo_Chargers/CT3/CT350b.jpg

Get those cars in shape! Plan your caravans! See you there!!! :D

DBMaster
07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
How's it going, Amigo? Do you think this is the type of event that would not bore my eight-year-old son?

I still have the Accord, with 304,000 on the clock now. I just put a rebuilt transmission in it and now I need to replace the radiator fan (the big one). It's amazing the thing is not overheating on days like today. I think the synthetic oil really shows its worth in situations like this.

KaMiKaZeE
07-11-2009, 09:31 PM
How's it going, Amigo? Do you think this is the type of event that would not bore my eight-year-old son?

I still have the Accord, with 304,000 on the clock now. I just put a rebuilt transmission in it and now I need to replace the radiator fan (the big one). It's amazing the thing is not overheating on days like today. I think the synthetic oil really shows its worth in situations like this.

Hey there Mike! Long time no see! If your 8 year old son likes cars and tire smoke, this is going to be a GREAT event to bring him to. Its going to be a ton of fun, and if you can score some sort of helmet that fits him and bring it along, then for $5 he can be riding along in some of the cars and having a blast! Bring a helmet for you too if you'd like to get some seat time as well! Some good friends of mine are driving in the event and there will be plenty of opportunities for rides.

Unfortunately I no longer own an accord, the one I had left had a bad tranny among other issues and I ended up trading it to a friend in exchange for a running 5-speed BMW 535i project car which I am currently fixing up to sell. In addition, I have the Z still (1991 Nissan 300ZXTT) and I have another project, a 1986 Toyota Cressida MX73 which is getting a 2JZ engine swap.

The Cressy is going to be my new drift car. I am co-founder of a local drift team called Team Slipmachine also... in the flyer for this Gymkhana event posted at the top of the thread, both of the drivers in those cars as well as the goofy guy on the barrel are all members of my team. We have 8 members right now and all are badass people and pretty decent drifters. We attend monthly drift events together and now we are helping to get this new Gymkhana event off the ground too, and soon we will be doing some drift exhibitions & demos at bigger events... I am really stoked about the way things are going for us right now! :D

So how have you been? :)

KaMiKaZeE
07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
This event is tomorrow!!! Get ready! Its gonna be huge! See you there! :D

DBMaster
07-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Mr. Will has a birthday party tomorrow sponsored by his grandparents so it's not in the cards. Speaking of transmissions, after a good number of years of minor symptoms my tranny failed after 303,000 miles and 20 years. Since I was a bit attached to the car I spent the big bucks to replace it. It may not be too many more years before it's time for something different, but for now it's worth it to spend the money because everything else is in such good shape. Which Accord did you have left? Was it the one from the police auction or the one from Florida?

KaMiKaZeE
07-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Which Accord did you have left? Was it the one from the police auction or the one from Florida?

It was the black 5-speed LX-i from Florida. I do miss that car sometimes, but it was just time to move on for me.

DBMaster
07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
If I had not owned this car since 1989 I might not have spent the money. I understand. Plus, I'm afraid the next car I get may end up being "just a car." Such is life.

KaMiKaZeE
07-26-2009, 12:49 AM
So for those that missed this event, y'all missed out! :P But its cool 'cause now you can watch the video and then next time you can come on out too!

Check it! http://www.rc-tvproductions.com/gymkhana/cfgymkhana.wmv

:D