PDA

View Full Version : K&N air filter for '87 LX-i?

kudd
10-01-2002, 05:20 AM
Anybody know what part number to ask for for K&N air filter for an 87 lx-i? The parts store I went to had a catalog that only went back to '90.

Thanks.

ACCORD EX
10-01-2002, 07:54 AM
try the K&N web site and you'll find the part # there !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
10-01-2002, 07:59 AM
ok here you go !

33-2521 for EFI

the web site > http://www.knfilters.com

MIKE

kudd
10-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Hey...thanks alot Mike. Gonna be my 1st performance mod ever!!

Man I love this site!!!

ACCORD EX
10-01-2002, 12:57 PM
good luck ! hope to see more mods soon ! :)

MIKE

Project-LXi
10-01-2002, 10:38 PM
If you are looking for an Intake rather than a replacement filter you will need part 57-3504, which is the Fuel Injection Performance Kit for the '92 Civic. You will need to adapt it to fit the 3rd Gen, since nobody makes a kit specificly for them. There are several threads here that explain how.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for a replacement for your stock air filter, then you want part 33-2521

87blueaccorddx
10-02-2002, 03:29 AM
so k & n air intakes fit an 87 honda accord, any model or is that just the lxi

ACCORD EX
10-02-2002, 06:50 AM
86 > 89

33-2521 for EFI
E-9030 for carbed

that's what i got from their website ! :)

MIKE

87blueaccorddx
10-02-2002, 03:24 PM
sry to bother again but im kinda new, um so i can put a air intake system into my 1987 honda accord dx, not an air filter, but a air intake, thanx for the adice

87accordlxi
10-02-2002, 03:40 PM
dont put a new intake system on your car. the factory system already sucks cold air in from under the headlight. all you have to do is drop in the k&n OEM replacement (#33-3521, as mentioned earlier) and you will have an efficient, effective, COLD AIR intake

ACCORD EX
10-03-2002, 01:18 AM
yes ! :super:

MIKE

kudd
10-03-2002, 09:02 AM
How often do you guys have to clean/oil your K&N filters?
(I know it depends on driving conditions...but just on average.)

Do you use K&N product (cleaner/oil) for this?

Is the hp increase noticeable?

Is there a noticeable mpg increase?

I saw something about greasing the filter rim....my lx-i filter slides into place from the top of stock airbox, which I would think would rub grease off. What do you guys do about that?

CARBurn
10-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Well I just cleaned my K&N air filter after having it on for about 9,000 miles. It had gotten really dirty(REALLY DIRTY!), so I just cleaned it, let it dry and re-oiled it with K&N oil. Performs like new!!!

ACCORD EX
10-04-2002, 02:08 AM
i think it's recommended to change air filter every 20000km ( clen the K&N ) , but it also depends where you live !

MIKE

kudd
10-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Mike, is your EX fuel injected? (Show's ya how much I know...didn't even know there was an EX in '87...or did ya stuff an EX mill in it?)

If so, does the filter slide in from the top like on my LX-i? I'm wondering about the greasing thing. I guess it can't be a real big deal since the regular filter in it hasn't been rim greased.

I was thinking maybe they got dirty faster too, because of the oil...but guess not.

Thanks again

CARBurn
10-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Actually, K&N says it is ok for them to get dirty, it allows is element to filter better when it is dirty. Mine just got to dirty for me to look at.

Actually, and Mike correct me on this, you have the carbureted model they sold in other countries under the EX trim. Again correct me if I am wrong.

The clamps on the filter box on the LX-i trims should be sufficient enough for the filter, adding oil on the rim is just a little added protection to make sure the filter is sealed and no unfiltered air get by.

87blueaccorddx
10-06-2002, 06:29 PM
um to reach the airbox in my 87 dx, should i remove the front bumper, i cant find it looking from in the engine compartment, could u help my locate it. also all i need to do is replace the sirbox with a replacement air intake cone, right? thanx alot

glen

87accordlxi
10-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 87blueaccorddx
um to reach the airbox in my 87 dx, should i remove the front bumper, i cant find it looking from in the engine compartment, could u help my locate it. also all i need to do is replace the sirbox with a replacement air intake cone, right? thanx alot

glen

your airbox is the large rectangular box sitting on top of your engine. in this picture, its marked with a 1:
http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/fullengine.jpg

if that pic doesnt work, then go here (http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/engine.htm) and look at the first picture.

in carb models (DX/LX), the airbox sits on top of the engine, in FI models (LXi/SEi), it sits behind the throttle body

87blueaccorddx
10-07-2002, 03:18 AM
but how would i make a cold air intake what do i replace or put on

87accordlxi
10-07-2002, 12:24 PM
just replace the filter inside the airbox with k&n. the stock intake already draws in cold air

socal3rdgen
10-07-2002, 12:43 PM
i think what this guy is goin for is a tube intake. the 92-95 civic intake. but it only works for efi unless you want to do a lot of work. stick with the filter replacement. if you going for looks. then a cai looks good but becuz your carbed you will have to do a lot of work to make that work. just replacing the filter is better than stock but will not give you the look.

correct me if im wrong but as i look at your signiture you have no performance upgrades only visual and audio. and im also looking a your questions. it seems that you want it for the visual aspect as well as more hp.

87blueaccorddx
10-07-2002, 05:27 PM
yea i just got the car and i had the system that i picked out before and i put it in, but now that i HAVE the car, i want it to look good but i really want to and am going to withing the month replace my header caty conv. and exhaust system, after that i will get more deep in with the mechanical to really boost horsepower, yea keep in touch with me and help me wen im in need cuz im like medioka (however u spell it so and so on this stuff, thanx 3 geez best site!