PDA

View Full Version : oil leak through head gasket

w261w261
06-07-2009, 11:10 AM
It looks like I have a small leak on the right front corner of my head gasket, right where there's an oil return channel coming down from the valve train, so the oil is not under pressure, it's just kind of seeping out. I can spray it off pretty well with carb cleaner, and I'm wondering if you guys think that I would have a chance of sealing it, and with what. I could try to glob some JB Weld around there, or if there's something else? I almost think I could paint something on, but don't know what.

chillphillyphil
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Well I think you're head gasket has had it - since you've lost the seal between the two metal surfaces it's going to ooze out regardless - sorta inevitable. What I'm trying to say is, globbin some stuff on the side to make a seal won't work because it's not creating a seal where it needs to be. ya?

Civic Accord Honda
06-07-2009, 03:36 PM
me thinks its time to just replace the gasket... its not hard to do lol

fijisac
06-07-2009, 03:36 PM
yea thats true, ur going 2 have to change out the head gasket, it took me 3 weeks to do cause i had skool during that time but i got it done, but yea its better to just change out the gasket, GL with da repair

fijisac
06-07-2009, 03:37 PM
me thinks its time to just replace the gasket... Its not hard to do lol

+1

w261w261
06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
The leak isn't worth putting in a new gasket, it's very small, but enough to be a pain. My thinking is that since it's not under pressure, the oil is just draining back to the sump down this channel, I think I can just paint something on the side to gook up the small leak. My concern is that it won't adhere.

Anyway, I'm going to try it. I'll report back when I do it.

carotman
06-08-2009, 05:54 AM
I had the same problem on my B20A after the thermostat went boom (temp kinda went a bit high).

I know wxactly what you mean by this small seep. maybe some oil sump gasket maker could work. Won't look pretty tough.

2oodoor
06-08-2009, 01:08 PM
It looks like I have a small leak on the right front corner of my head gasket, right where there's an oil return channel coming down from the valve train, so the oil is not under pressure, it's just kind of seeping out. I can spray it off pretty well with carb cleaner, and I'm wondering if you guys think that I would have a chance of sealing it, and with what. I could try to glob some JB Weld around there, or if there's something else? I almost think I could paint something on, but don't know what.

I retorqued mine when it did that and it corrected the problem

w261w261
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I retorqued mine when it did that and it corrected the problem

Aha. A ray of hope.

carotman
06-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Roodoo, you retorqued when it had a lot of miles on it?

When I redid my headgasket, I still had a small leak, retorquing it solved the problem too but it only had 100 miles.

I don't know how an old gasket would react to a retorque.

w261w261
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I thought on it a bit and have the same question as Carotman. How would you do it...back off some on everything, then retorque? Do you go from the middle out or some other pattern?

2oodoor
06-12-2009, 03:29 AM
mine only had around 4-5thousand miles on it, with a graphite gasket (rock auto)
used standard torque sequence, I dont see what it would hurt though even with a more seasoned gasket. You would be looking at a resurface head and replace gasket anyway to resolve the leak yes?

good point carotman