PDA

View Full Version : Motor is knocking

neo_blue_accord
06-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Ok I have a A20 and well it knocks really bad. I did readjust the rockers. It went away for awhile but know its knocking again. So I popped off the vavle cover to realize that I can move the rockers side to side. I checked the clearance and its still correct. Just need some more advice to what it maybe. Really dont want to rebuild the motor but then again its at 224,000 miles. Would much apprciate some help.

Hauntd ca3
06-09-2009, 01:21 AM
rockers will move side to side a bit, is normal. and tappets are more of a rattle than a knock.
duz it make a loud knocking when you give it some throttle? duz it go away or get less loud when the motor is warm?
if it gets quieter when it warms up, it could be piston slap which would mean a rebuild.
if it gets louder when you give it a rev, could be bearing on the way out which depending on how bad the journals are, would mean a crank grind and new bearings.
unless you are near a friendly member i'd go get a good mechanic to listen to it

neo_blue_accord
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
it knocks when it gets warmed up. It will do it when its cold too but not like a rod more like a rocker. I have been leaning on rebuilding it anyways. Since I will be racing it might as well rebuild it.

Hauntd ca3
06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
if you are going to race it, dont worry to much about it.
honda motors are notoriously rattly in the tappets but a knock is a bit out of the ordinary. i dont know if the a20 motors run a rocker shaft or if they are like the b20a.
if they run a shaft, it could be the shaft wearing and allowing excessive movement, but that would usually happen only with mega miles or being run with low oil

mykwikcoupe
06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
both times Ive had mt a20a3 engine knock it was a burnt #4 exhaust valve. Thats what Id say. at 224 you can do a compression check on the cylinders telling you which are low or how good the engine is. If the compression is good on 3 Id just do a good head rebiuld but if 2 or more are low compression Id yank the whole thing. Keep in mind you know one cylinder already has low compression.