PDA

View Full Version : B18A/B18B Camshafts ???

preludolec
06-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Does anybody know if B18A/B18B fits B20A1 (EDM B20A)?? B20A1 is the same as B20A2, but it is in Prelude 2 gen ;) There is a lot of more agressive cams on the market for B18A/B18B and it's tempting :naughty: Just need to know if it is possible to mount in my engine ;)

thegreatdane
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes they fit. BUT you have to modify them slightly.
There is no slot in the end of the B18A/B exhaust cam to turn the exhaust cam sensor, so you will either have to get that slot machined into the cam or convert to OBD1 together with a B18B distributor which has all the sensors in it, making the exhaust cams sensor unnecessary.
The B18A/B cams are also slightly too long in the end where the cam gears attach which makes the timing belt sit a little on the edge. Some just choose to ignore that but ideally you should get them machined a bit shorter on the cam gear end. I think it was around 5 mm that needs to be removed.

I'm running B18A/B cams and I believe I have a thread about it somewhere.

preludolec
06-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks a lot thegreatdane :cheers:
It doesn't sound bad :) Especially that I have access to that kind of machines :)
Can You tell me what range of improvement i can expect?

thegreatdane
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Depends on which cams you get, so I cant say. But I can tell you that the stock cams are very very mild so you'll definately notice a big improvement.
Are you from Poland?

preludolec
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
thegreatdane, I thought about Brian Crower's Stage 2 or more extreme Stage 3 which does make sense if I change pistons for higher compression. If B20A (160HP) stock cams are mild, the EDM B20A1 (137HP) will be much more gentle ;) so the difference after should be all the more noticeable :D

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/honda/b18ab18b.shtml

Yep, I'm from Poland :)

2oodoor
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I thought the journals were different, or is that on the JDM?
This is very interesting because I do not need the sensor since I am running carb, and this black top needs more cam.

2ndGenGuy
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I thought the journals were different, or is that on the JDM?
This is very interesting because I do not need the sensor since I am running carb, and this black top needs more cam.

+1 Goldtop needs moar cam too.