PDA

View Full Version : system randomly cuts off and restarts ALL THE TIME!

zack_attack2010
06-10-2009, 09:08 PM
My setup:
Pioneer DEH-P4100UB deck
4 Sony Xplod 6.5'' speakers
760W Pioneer GM-5400t amp
2 pioneer 10'' champion series subs

My system(more then likely my deck) has been cutting out lately, and rite in the volume zone of 30-50 it will just randomly cut off, the deck doesnt turn off but all the speakers just cut out and turn rite back on, and it does it like crazy, but when i really crank it up, like past 50, in the un-confortable hearing zone it hardly cuts out, and when its really low it doesnt really cut out, and also at any volume the deck just shuts off and turns back on pretty frequent, like once every 15 mins, and all of this just recently started happening

I pulled out the deck and tripple checked all the wires, and especially the harness, and even re-did a couple of connections i was iffy about, checked all the wires going to the amp, so now im just like wtf??

should i just box it back up and see if wally-world will just exchange me for a new one???i still have the original receipt and box, oh and also my accord is an 87' and in EXCELLENT condition.

gtmst3
06-11-2009, 04:20 PM
did you check your battery or alternator same thing was happening to me and it was a bad battery

89T
06-11-2009, 04:28 PM
is the amp getting hot?

greentee76
06-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't know alot about audio, however, on my old pioneer deck I had the same type of problem, which was caused by the connections for the detachable face being bad.
Might not be your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there.

MessyHonda
06-12-2009, 12:36 AM
once again check your grounds

LX-incredible
06-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Check the ignition switch. I've had this problem on two of my accords.

ghettogeddy
06-12-2009, 01:18 AM
ONE WORD PiONEER

STOP BUY HYPED UP CHINA SHIT LOL

BUY SOMETHING GOOD

sorry im anti pioneer

its the 1# most stolen deck in the world manly because its the 1# most massed produced brand in the world and how's the old say go "quality not quantity"

i persoanlly have had nothign bad bad luck with them and if i were you i would switch now clarion, panasonic, alpine , eclipse thats were i would go as for the sub i have no clue what those could sound like they barly sell them in stores here but i would go with some infinitys or some solo barics i know im talking money
but im also tlaking quality not massed produced garbage

and as long as you box it up and take it back walmart will give you anything lol i would pick up there cheap 89 buck deck with the usb on the front
ive actually installed one of these and for a cheap deck i was very surprised

2oodoor
06-12-2009, 03:09 AM
get your DVM out and measure the ohm resistance of the speakers at the speaker wires up at where they connect to the unit. You Problably should not have much more than 2-3 ohms restistance off of the rated output of the unit (whether it be 4-6-or 8 ohm)
Does it matter where you fader is set as to how often this happens? How about bass enhancement and settings?
How about using lower volume settings at the control unit and using higher ones or more gain at the amp? Crossover adjustable?

!!!! come on stereo techy heads how about some real troubleshooting tips here, shit

ghettogeddy
06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
get your DVM out and measure the ohm resistance of the speakers at the speaker wires up at where they connect to the unit. You Problably should not have much more than 2-3 ohms restistance off of the rated output of the unit (whether it be 4-6-or 8 ohm)
Does it matter where you fader is set as to how often this happens? How about bass enhancement and settings?
How about using lower volume settings at the control unit and using higher ones or more gain at the amp? Crossover adjustable?

!!!! come on stereo techy heads how about some real troubleshooting tips here, shit

its sometimes hard to pull your self to trouble shoot a 120 bucks walmart deck when you can just return it and try your luck

its like the lottery but instead of buying ticket after ticket you buy one and just return it when it dosent win lol untill you find a winner

zack_attack2010
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Well sorry ghettogeddy for my poor choice in my equipment, but i think that it works pretty damn good when its operating correctly.

But my deck cost me $160(now this is the part where you say, "OMG, you paid that much for a mass-produced shitty pioneer deck!!!!"), sorry i didnt feel like going to my car audio store and get ripped off and pay $400 for a deck, im not trying to enter any competitions, just have a descent system to listen to\

ok but i only have 1 amp and it only runs my subs, the other 4 speakers are just run through my deck, maybe in 2 months or so ill get a new amp but for now almost all of my paychecks are going towards my cellphone bill and my CRX swap project(im 17 so i dont have much to pay for rite now, lol)

but thanks messyhonda and the other people giving me USEFUL feedback, but my amp just gets as warm as any amp should when its in use, and ill make sure to check my grounds and shit, i know my amp ground is good, and my deck ground is probably good, its connected to a screw on the back of the ashtray that goes into a bunch of metal

But my neighbor has a used alpine deck with the flip out touch screen and shit, and he's selling it for like $300, does anybody know if those are a bitch to hook up???? i checked it out and there were a shit load of wires it seemed like. and there was like a little mini amp that sits behind the unit in the dash, haha

OldTimer2gS
06-12-2009, 01:26 PM
have to pulled your speakers and put tape around the terminals? it's possible that the terminals are arching out or touching something... just a suggestion to look at...

ghettogeddy
06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
ok first off i wasn't trying to be a dick but just stating a point you get what you pay for no scenes in troubleshooting a a walmart deck when you can more easily take it out stick it in a box and try your luck on another pos deck

2nd if you did not want to spend 400(witch is way to much imo) you could have sprung for about 200 and gotten a deck that would have lasted you 10 years. so before you take my words out of context, please read them carefully ive been doing this for a very long time almost 10 years now. ive been in your shoes i know how it feels to be broke

but the moral of my story is when you buy mass produced items there not all gona be 100% sure you will find one but not after a lil headache

also dont take anything on the net serious you ask for help but more then often your gona get someones opinion, sorry if my opinion is against pioneer your gona get people that like and people that dont

once again sorry for coming off as a dick like i said been in the audio game for 10 years, ask messy i once installed a deck in his car on the way to a meet lol

after being a car stereo salesmen and doing so many installs its just habit for me

OldTimer2gS
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
** deep breath ** required for that one :)

ghettogeddy is correct though, some models of Pioneer decks have been slightly problematic over the years...

I would try to rule out the more obvious stuff before taking the deck back though.

If you wanted to rule the deck out, you could take it out, hook it up to a car charger and setup 4 4 ohm car type speakers to it and try it on a bench, out of the car. If it still cuts out, then it's most definitely the deck, and replace it.

otherwise, it's something in your car that's causing it....

hope that helps...

zack_attack2010
06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
ok first off i wasn't trying to be a dick but just stating a point you get what you pay for no scenes in troubleshooting a a walmart deck when you can more easily take it out stick it in a box and try your luck on another pos deck

2nd if you did not want to spend 400(witch is way to much imo) you could have sprung for about 200 and gotten a deck that would have lasted you 10 years. so before you take my words out of context, please read them carefully ive been doing this for a very long time almost 10 years now. ive been in your shoes i know how it feels to be broke

but the moral of my story is when you buy mass produced items there not all gona be 100% sure you will find one but not after a lil headache

also dont take anything on the net serious you ask for help but more then often your gona get someones opinion, sorry if my opinion is against pioneer your gona get people that like and people that dont

once again sorry for coming off as a dick like i said been in the audio game for 10 years, ask messy i once installed a deck in his car on the way to a meet lol

after being a car stereo salesmen and doing so many installs its just habit for me

haha, its all good, and im sure that you know that you know about all there is to know, i didnt know you were that experienced, but the post before yours said something about the terminals and i think that mite be a good point, when i got my 4 6.5'' speakers me and my friend just used the stock terminal connections which are way to big and are on the speakers very loosely, and the speakers i bought came with some terminals, so maybe ill strip the stock ones and use some butt connectors and put on the ones that came with my new speakers, but maybe today ill go to walmart and check to see if theres a better deck and ill just exchange for it.

ghettogeddy
06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
haha, its all good, and im sure that you know that you know about all there is to know, i didnt know you were that experienced, but the post before yours said something about the terminals and i think that mite be a good point, when i got my 4 6.5'' speakers me and my friend just used the stock terminal connections which are way to big and are on the speakers very loosely, and the speakers i bought came with some terminals, so maybe ill strip the stock ones and use some butt connectors and put on the ones that came with my new speakers, but maybe today ill go to walmart and check to see if theres a better deck and ill just exchange for it.

i mean it could be just the fuse in your fuse box is loose ive seen that happen it could even be half blown and arching but when you play it to long it heats up and moves
ive seen it all

def look at all the lil parts before
but for me ill return once if the prob still persists its not the deck it something else

do the easy swaps then do the trouble shooting

Strugglebucket
06-12-2009, 07:13 PM
ONE WORD PiONEER

STOP BUY HYPED UP CHINA SHIT LOL

BUY SOMETHING GOOD

sorry im anti pioneer

My DEX-P1R will rape whatever you have :devil:

ghettogeddy
06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
well at 720 it better lol

86ccord
06-13-2009, 12:00 PM
do what i did, just give up on audio stuff. and wait till you gots money for expensive nice shit.. LOL

MessyHonda
06-14-2009, 07:39 AM
do what i did, just give up on audio stuff. and wait till you gots money for expensive nice shit.. LOL

but even then....i went to an audio store and the guy said half new new stuff is just plastic...showed me some blown out speakers...anyways good thing i got 4 year warranty from best buy...hope they dont go under

2oodoor
06-14-2009, 09:09 AM
YEs using those terminals that actually fit the speaker helps big time. LOL
Lx incredible's tip about the ign switch is spot on as well, you could be getting the switched power intermidant while the constant stays energized making the display stay on.

What Gheddy said pertaining to what to check on your set up sounds good too .
I add that most all these things are mass produced to some degree. Bad solder joints and components inside the units could potentially cause all kinds of intermidant issues, this goes for any and all electronics even the best. Very true you will run across lots of items bad right out of the box ,when you are doing this for a living you see it a lot more than the average consumer.

zack_attack2010
06-14-2009, 01:11 PM
well as an update i just decided to take the deck back to wal-mart and exchange it(which went really well by the way, took it into customer service, they told me to go to the back and get a new one and bring it back up and check it out), but i just put the deck and remote back in the box and kept the wiring harness so i wouldnt have to redo it and i just took the new one out and and got it running in about 3 minutes and so far, no problems, it was mmore than likely the deck because i havent had any cutoffs or anything lately.

86ccord
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
well as an update i just decided to take the deck back to wal-mart and exchange it(which went really well by the way, took it into customer service, they told me to go to the back and get a new one and bring it back up and check it out), but i just put the deck and remote back in the box and kept the wiring harness so i wouldnt have to redo it and i just took the new one out and and got it running in about 3 minutes and so far, no problems, it was mmore than likely the deck because i havent had any cutoffs or anything lately.

cool. good job boss!

now lets see some pictures!!! lol

zack_attack2010
06-15-2009, 09:56 PM
cool. good job boss!

now lets see some pictures!!! lol

haha yeah, now i can bump that tech n9ne all day, lol! ive been meaning to get some pics of my ride, its pretty much flawless in and out cept a scrape on the driver side of the front bumper, and under the hood not even as much as an oil stain, lol, no joke, but there is a little switch on the center console that doesnt seem to do anything except make an annoying click click noise, i think it mite be for the retractable antenna but im not sure cause it doesnt move when i use it, prolly broken, haha

and where can i get some 3geez stickers???

ghettogeddy
06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
sometimes i hit it right on the nose lol

like i said as far as walmart goes cause i worked there its super easy to return it and just try a new one if the prob continues then its something else lol

2ndGenGuy
06-16-2009, 07:57 AM
and where can i get some 3geez stickers???

PM Joay, he makes fucking AWESOME stickers! That guy is the man!