PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights

Francos Accord
06-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I bought aftermarket fog light to put on my car, and i was going to tap into a fuse from the fuse box inside the car for power to the fogs. I was wondering what fuse i should use to tap into...??

I dont think this will make any difference, but i have an 89 LX.

russ_512
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
i just cut the wires to my park lights and wired em up to that so that every time i cut on the interior lights on they came on..........my dad is no pro but he said do it to the radio fuse so that if you forget to turn em on they will cut off cause the radio cuts off when the ignition is off....make sure it is a the fuse is 20 if it isnt then try the windshield wipers

Francos Accord
06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
If I have to hook them up to a 20 amp fuse then i cant do it to the radio, because the radio is only a 10 amper.

ArokASE88LXi
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
First of all I love your sig! that infomercial is stupid but makes me laugh everytime! second just put a larger amperage fuse in there it won't hurt anything. the way it works is that fuse will blow if theres 20 or more amps going through it. if your running the lights and the radio at the same time that circuit will be using the combined amperages of the radio and the lights. fuses are there as a failsafe if something in the radio or the lights fucks up and say shorts to ground all of a sudden there would be a lot more amperage going through the fuse (more than 20) and the fuse get so hot it just melts apart the little wire inside and breaks the circuit so that a wire somewhere doesn't melt apart or worse start a fire.

russ_512
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
First of all I love your sig! that infomercial is stupid but makes me laugh everytime! second just put a larger amperage fuse in there it won't hurt anything. the way it works is that fuse will blow if theres 20 or more amps going through it. if your running the lights and the radio at the same time that circuit will be using the combined amperages of the radio and the lights. fuses are there as a failsafe if something in the radio or the lights fucks up and say shorts to ground all of a sudden there would be a lot more amperage going through the fuse (more than 20) and the fuse get so hot it just melts apart the little wire inside and breaks the circuit so that a wire somewhere doesn't melt apart or worse start a fire.

:werd: ?

Hauntd ca3
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
second just put a larger amperage fuse in there it won't hurt anything.

NO NO NO NO AND NO.
the fuse is there for a couple of reasons
1) to protect as you say from shorts
2) to protect the wiring from trying to carry more current than they can handle which will result in a fire. the factory wiring is speced to carry what the fuse is capable of but not much more.
just putting in a bigger fuse is asking for trouble

what he needs to do is give the fogs there own circuit which can only be run while the headlights are on.
use a relay which will switch on with the headlights .
that is for the low current switching side of the relay.
with the high current switched side of the relay, run a cable from the batt ,to a fuse to the relay and then from the relay to the fogs.
you can put a switch in the low current side so that if he wants them off, he can. but if he wants them on at all times he can run them as above or tap the relay into the park light circuit for day running style lights

2ndGenGuy
06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
:stupid:

He is absolutely right. Do not EVER run bigger fuses than what Honda put in there from the factory.

ecogabriel
06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
NO NO NO NO AND NO.

what he needs to do is give the fogs there own circuit which can only be run while the headlights are on.
use a relay which will switch on with the headlights .
that is for the low current switching side of the relay.
with the high current switched side of the relay, run a cable from the batt ,to a fuse to the relay and then from the relay to the fogs.

100% right. If you want the lights off when you turn the car off you can feed the low current side of the relay from... say the radio circuit or any other that only has power with engine on.

So the circuit is something like this: lights switch turns relay on/off; relay turns on/off lights. Some relays even have some schematic printed on them