PDA

View Full Version : Time on my hands

accord83
06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Today, with time on my hands, I decided to look for maintainance on the Accord, I noticed the engine stabiliser, or as Honda like to call it the 'Torque Rod' had a bit of play in the front bush. I read it was torqued up to 54 ft lbs, got my torque wrench and a 19m/m socket on to the nut, but did not enough space to tighten it with the air filter fitted. On removing the wrench I heard a 'click', the distributor vacuum advance spigot on a Gen2 is made of brittle plastic.....
Now I have something to do with the spare time.
Plan A, Remove stub of spigot from vacuum pipe, superglue the plastic spigot back.
Why does superglue always stick what you don't want sticking? I now have a latex glove stuck to my distributor cap like the udders of a Mini Babybelle cow, but not the bloody vacuum spigot.
Plan B. Surgically remove bag and teats, clean all surfaces again, retry with superglue, achieve a possible adherance. Wait 1/2 hr. Build a web around join with rapid set epoxy resin, leave for 1hr. Walk for evening paper whilst waiting to cure, Get soaked in a short sharp shower. Replace vacuum pipe, check car still runs.
One wasted afternoon, but it least it filled the time in!!
I can go to bed tonight assured I will never suffer unemployment, for as long as I am alive, a village south of Lancaster, will always have a resident idiot!!

2ndGenGuy
06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Man that is a rough story. Can't get a new advance diaphragm at the wreckers or parts stores? If you had a pic, I bet it's easy enough to get a compatible part here in the US. But it does sound like your solution worked. Those pieces are not easy to glue back together reliably, so don't feel bad.

Also, I think all the torque rod bushings have play in them like that. Mine is loose as a goose, and every one I've seen at the wreckers is the same. I took the bushing out and noticed that it looked like it was still in good condition, so I think they're supposed to be like that. I will, however, be testing out the polyurethane filler on mine to eliminate the slop completely.

greentee76
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your predicament, glad you got it going. I LOL when I read your writeup.

accord83
06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
2ndGenGuy, Did you get the 1602 EL 8v 80hp engine in the States? As for breakers yards, these cars are as rare as rocking horse crap over here. Regarding the torque bar bushing fit, on previous cars (non Honda) I am used to them being interference fit. The bushes look unworn and undamaged, but when I was an engineering student they would have been described as a loose running fit or 'A pr*ck in a gumboot fit'!!

Ichiban
06-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I love the way you tell a tale. A little bit of humor in creative writing tends to really get the frustration out.

Anyways, same story here in Canada, where my EL 1602 is just cooling off after a trip to the carwash and parts store. All of my "dogbone" bushings are sloppy as well, I'd describe the fit as "substantial clearance"

The only problem I've ever had with my dogbone mount is the firewall end bolt came slightly loose, and the drivetrain would make a loud "clunk" when forces were reversed, Ie mashing the throttle or slamming it shut. After investigating every other possible cause, a quick turn of the wrench shut it up for good. I'm guessing the clearance is intended so that the rest of the mounts bear some of the rotational load, and the dogbone simply limits it's travel. Or all the bushings on earth are plain wore out?

As far as the distributer vacuum advance, I'd suggest a two part epoxy, or even drilling and tapping the housing for a 1/8 NPT or small straight thread, and inserting a threaded nipple and gluing that in place. My experience shows that the cyanoacrylate glues just blow, leading to you milking the advance diaphragm. Or if possible, find another one at the wreckers.

Unfortunately, due to my machinist apprenticeship, I'm rather far from home, where there's a plethora of these cars in the wreckers. I wouldn't hesitate to mail you a complete distributer, but, there aren't any to be found up where I'm currently trapped by my employment.

accord83
06-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Cheers guy, but the epoxy fillet is unnoticable with the vacuum pipe pushed up to it, had the car running today and all is good. John

Ichiban
06-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Cheers guy, but the epoxy fillet is unnoticable with the vacuum pipe pushed up to it, had the car running today and all is good. John

Excellent!

2ndGenGuy
06-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Sweet, glad that glue is holding up. We didn't get the 1602. We got the EK, which was a 1751 (longer stroke 1602) and it was an 8 valve head as well, but was a CVCC design. Still put out about the same horsepower as the EL, but I think it had quite a bit more bottom end torque due to the extra combustion in the CVCC chambers.