PDA

View Full Version : how to get the dash apart?

lostforawhile
06-13-2009, 07:34 AM
does someone know where the hidden screws are holding the dash halves together? I found most of them, but there seems to be some hidden sones on the passenger side above the glovebox, I know the two sections come apart, thats how they assembled it, but there is something hidden on that side. already have a giant pile of screws from it. going to take the two pieces apart so i can dye them

Pico
06-13-2009, 07:42 AM
isnt there also some sort of glue holding it down also?

mykwikcoupe
06-13-2009, 07:56 AM
yes they are glued together as well. i havent tried to seperate them yet so i cannot say but turabaka says when he tried he ended up breaking the lower. good luck, what color are you dying that you cant find in a donor car?

lostforawhile
06-13-2009, 08:03 AM
yes they are glued together as well. i havent tried to seperate them yet so i cannot say but turabaka says when he tried he ended up breaking the lower. good luck, what color are you dying that you cant find in a donor car?

top black bottom tan, and i'm dying to match my upholstery. they split all the way up to right over the glovebox and come apart with screws, there are screws hidden everywhere, you need a good flashlight to find them all, but there's something hidden right over the glovebox.

mykwikcoupe
06-13-2009, 04:46 PM
is it infact glued or just glued very well? great job, is there a way you can post a pic with circles on the screws that gave you grief?

lostforawhile
06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
is it infact glued or just glued very well? great job, is there a way you can post a pic with circles on the screws that gave you grief?
i gave up i'll mask it like it is, there are even screws hidden under the foam around the vents, they are everywhere, looks like they glued it down then screwed it together. I have to replace that foam anyway,just normal heat and ac system foam, jc whitney carries it. I might even have some of the narrow foam around here like it.

russ_512
06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
i got an extra black and tan dash......

lostforawhile
06-13-2009, 07:37 PM
i got an extra black and tan dash......
problem is shipping it here to south Georgia, I already have a good dash,just need to dye it, the one in my car now is in pretty good shape but the corner of the dash pad is damaged and the defrost vents are broken, I got this one from a yard for 20 bucks, had it hid in the yard for six months and finally dragged it home, I dragged it out of my loft,evicted the resident spiders,and am getting busy on it. I have to re cut out the gauge holes again ,grr,where the gauge pod goes in place of the clock. that means cutting it out,then removing the plastic piece the clock fits into from behind the dash,one piece at a time. I think i'm going to build my harnesses for this one, then go ahead and spray it with the plastic primer, and let it sit,it said the primer is best left to sit for a couple of weeks.

Dr_Snooz
06-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I got this one from a yard for 20 bucks, had it hid in the yard for six months and finally dragged it home

Weren't you worried that the hiding place would get crushed? Or did you move it around?

I found someone's stash my last trip. I was looking through a car and pulled down a backseat arm rest, opened the lid and there were a couple Alpine speakers. I was getting ready to gank them when I found that one of the cones was torn. I put them back like they were and moved on.

lostforawhile
06-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Weren't you worried that the hiding place would get crushed? Or did you move it around?

I found someone's stash my last trip. I was looking through a car and pulled down a backseat arm rest, opened the lid and there were a couple Alpine speakers. I was getting ready to gank them when I found that one of the cones was torn. I put them back like they were and moved on.it was in a dead mobile home, won't fit in the crusher, we have redneck junkyards here , car might be gone in a week or a year,none of the fancy clean sterilized yards like in the Peoples Republic of California, we have snakes,junkyard dogs,fire ants, and all other kinds of critters out here in the yards too.

russ_512
06-14-2009, 06:05 PM
problem is shipping it here to south Georgia,.

im in south carolina

lostforawhile
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
im in south carolina
well i'll keep it in mind, this dash is in good shape

russ_512
06-15-2009, 06:37 AM
well i'll keep it in mind, this dash is in good shape

true true what kind of dye do you use.....is it hard to do

lostforawhile
06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
true true what kind of dye do you use.....is it hard to do i'm trying to remember the name,eastwood carries the entire line, they also have special prep products for the soft part of the dash,and the hard plastic part. It's not hard to do if you follow the instructions,and clean the dash really well. i'll be next month before i can even think of doing anything on it, we are broke as crap till then.

russ_512
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
o dang well show pics when you do, do it

lostforawhile
06-16-2009, 04:29 PM
made some more harness stuff for it too hot to do much of anything http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020382-1.jpg

lostforawhile
06-18-2009, 05:53 PM
worked on this after work even in the 100 degree weather, haven't painted it black yet, but this replaces the piece for the illumination over the radio location. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020005-1.jpg?t=1245376556