PDA

View Full Version : New ECU

86lxi340K
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
So I changed the ECU on my 86 for a newer one out of an 88 with alot less miles. It was amazing how much better my fuel mapping felt compared to the original one with 342K on it. But now I'm throwing code 17. This was the vehicle speed sensor code. But vehicle speed sensors were only used from 88 to 98. So my question is can i just jump the terminals on the ECU or close loop the circut. Or should I try and retro fit a VSS onto my car. I'm not sure how much work that would require. Any insight would be appreciated.

lostforawhile
06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
So I changed the ECU on my 86 for a newer one out of an 88 with alot less miles. It was amazing how much better my fuel mapping felt compared to the original one with 342K on it. But now I'm throwing code 17. This was the vehicle speed sensor code. But vehicle speed sensors were only used from 88 to 98. So my question is can i just jump the terminals on the ECU or close loop the circut. Or should I try and retro fit a VSS onto my car. I'm not sure how much work that would require. Any insight would be appreciated.they all have the sensor it's probably missing the pins on the plug for the gauge cluster,my 86 even has one, and it's carbed,there's a tiny reed switch inside of the speedometer head with outputs to the pc circuit board,best thing to do is eithier find a later model instrument cluster or get one and compare whats missing to yours.

Civic Accord Honda
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
yeah just grab a 88-89 cluster from the junkyard