PDA

View Full Version : Coollant hoses

griffonks
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Here is the batch of hoses that I replaced in my 89LX. Also 2 transmission cooler lines, the heater valve and I noticed that the front dog bone bushing was shot. I think that these are all the hoses except for the two bigger ones on the radiator. I replaced them two years ago along with the radiator. What a heck of a lot of sweat for such a small job. But now the coolant system is fresh and dependable except for the heater core....all the leaks seem to be gone. Hopefully the next job will be more fun. Thanks to all the previous posters for the help.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/griffonks/P1010481.jpg

griffonks
06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Apparently the rotten dog-bone bushing that I replaced allowed engine slapping enough to break the exhaust somewhere. Probably in the first section. I read in an earlier post that this could happen. Back under the old 3g......

russiankid
06-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Thats not all the hoses. You missed the worst hose of them all; the one running from behind the water pump to the intake manifold. Have to move the alternator, remove alternator bracket, water pump pulley, and snake your hand in there to get that bitch off the water pipe.

conozo
06-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Its a P shaped hose about 8 inches in length

griffonks
06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Thank you both for the help. I was gonna send this back to rockauto tomorrow. Does it look like the last one? I have a new timing belt and water pump to install anyway, also have alternator brushes. Is it possible to remove the alternator on a 1989 carbureted LX without removing the axle?

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/griffonks/P1010552.jpg

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Your dog bone mount looks fine to me.

ArokASE88LXi
06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm in the middle of removing all those little shit ass lines. they all piss me off! little lines running everywhere full of hot coolant what a dumb idea how pissed would you be if one of those under the intake manifold popped or leaked leaving you on the side of the highway and all for what so it idles higher when it's cold? Bah Humbug!! Remove it all and if you want it to idle a little higher just turn on the A/C and adjust the a/c idle boost valve up a little bit that'll raise it without all those stupid hoses /END RANT Sorry just had to het that out :kekeke:

w261w261
06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
With the exception of the little line running from the IACV under the intake manifold (OK, it's a big exception...that one is a bitch to replace), the rest of the little hoses are easy to install. You do have to order them from Honda as they have pre-made bends and different diameters etc. You can't just get a roll of tubing and rock on.

I replaced the little hoses about 3 years ago, and I think they were original. It's not like they have to be messed with that often. I think you should if possible let the Honda engineering stay unmolested, certainly for something that isn't all that difficult to maintain.

russiankid
06-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes that is the hose.

griffonks
06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm in the middle of removing all those little shit ass lines. they all piss me off! little lines running everywhere full of hot coolant what a dumb idea how pissed would you be if one of those under the intake manifold popped or leaked leaving you on the side of the highway and all for what so it idles higher when it's cold? Bah Humbug!! Remove it all and if you want it to idle a little higher just turn on the A/C and adjust the a/c idle boost valve up a little bit that'll raise it without all those stupid hoses /END RANT Sorry just had to het that out :kekeke:

I used straight tubing for the small lines under the intake manifold because I could not find any molded ones. Didn't try a Honda dealer though. I think that these straight hoses will hold, the bends are not too severe and it's not so hot. My 3G is carbureted though. Maybe the small hoses on a FI 3G are different. You are just a few miles from me. Good luck>